"don't call 999 unless it's an emergency" advice falls on deaf ears

More calls have been made to the emergency 999 service from the brain-dead apparently...

And that's despite repeated pleas to only call them if it genuinely is an emergency.

Apparently, according to one eeejit, who dialled 999, buying a pet rabbit which turned out to have limp ears is a valid reason... :loopy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7616451.stm

Somebody apparently once called 999 because he couldn't find his remote control. Bizarre. I'd be more likely not to call them in an emergency because I'd be worried it wasn't urgent enough!

Just goes to prove that some people can be so stupid that its almost unbeleivable.

I really wish this wasn't too infuriating to be funny, 'cause these people are soo stupid.

Somebody apparently once called 999 because he couldn't find his remote control. Bizarre. I'd be more likely not to call them in an emergency because I'd be worried it wasn't urgent enough!

I know! I called 999 a couple of weeks ago, when a chap keeled over unconscious in front of me, but, despite him being out cold, I was still worried that I would be told off by the emergency operator for calling them.

During the call for an ambulance, thank God, a police car was passing the traffic lights. The police officers stopped, and were great, giving assistance whilst we waited for the ambulance.

iI turned out that the chap was kaleyed, but, to be unconscious through drink is no less serious than for any other reason.

To add to the stupid reasons people dial 999:

Number 10 - Callers who rang 999 asking for the number of Crimestoppers so they can report minor crimes.

Number 9 - A woman who dialled police because she was walking home alone after a night out and fancied a chat.

Number 8 - A caller who rang to say 'I can't get a taxi home and I've got no credit. Can you phone one for me or give me a lift?'

Number 7 - A woman who said she had no money and wanted police to give her a lift home.

Number 6 - A call from a man ringing for advice after his wife mistakenly got on the wrong bus while out shopping and ended up in Romford.

Number 5 - A person who dialled 999 to ask what time a fireworks display was taking place

Number 4 - Animals lovers who called to report a parrot stuck up a tree and a hamster trapped behind a wardrobe.

Number 3 - A person who rang 999 to ask what the weather would be like the next day because they wanted to have a picnic.

Number 2 - An exasperated mum who called the police because her son refused to get out of bed.

Number 1 - A terrified woman who called emergency crews asking them to come to her home and put out a spider which was scaring her.

And a few that didn't make the list:

A woman calling 999 to ask how long she should cook her turkey - she was worried about poisoning her family.

An angry supermarket shopper who had got fed up of waiting for a taxi so he phoned 999.

A caller phoned 999 to ask what the date was.

Hard to believe anybody could be THAT stupid, but apparently some are!

Just goes to prove that some people can be so stupid that its almost unbeleivable.

You mean like big girl's blouses who have a medical problem and are too scaredy-waredy to go to the doctor about it??

Back on topic - I think they should start issuing steep fines to some of these idiots, and making sure they're well publicised. It might make people think twice before they make emergency calls for such inane reasons.

You mean like big girl's blouses who have a medical problem and are too scaredy-waredy to go to the doctor about it??

Back on topic - I think they should start issuing steep fines to some of these idiots, and making sure they're well publicised. It might make people think twice before they make emergency calls for such inane reasons.

Perhaps making them pay the cost of what it would have cost if the service they requested had shown up. I'm usually against a lot of fining, but I'd definitely go for that one.

There are figures to show how many people incorrectly or maliciously ring 999, but unfortunately there aren't figures on how many do not ring it in an emergency because they don't want to get into trouble....

I never like reading this story because it plays right into the hands of the sorts of people (mostly elderly) who get the wrong end of the stick and end up in trouble because they are too afraid to ring 999.

To hell with fining them!

SHOOT `EM!

Im sorry but theyre just too thick to be allowed to live.

There should be highly publicised announcements that anyone making a frivolous 999 call in future will face prosecution for wasting police time. And local papers should name and shame `em

In 60+ years I have made 2, one when I had a serious fire, and one when I came across a body. Both were well justified but I still felt uneasy using the emergency number.

Ugh, some people don't deserve telephones IMO... And does anything happen to them for making false calls? No, it does not, the law should make examples of them IMO, these people are complete and utter morons.