The Sheffield Gay Scene

*Yawns* You're like a broken record aaron1867. Go ahead and report us for whatever you want. Smoking inside? Are you mad?! lol... have fun!

aaron1867...I play at Lions quite a bit and have my own club night "Robofunk" there once a month. I can honestly say that the Lions Lair staff & Door Staff take issues such as drugs and smoking inside very seriously. They are extremely professional and very friendly in the way that they greet customers. The door staff don't take any nonsence from anyone and deal with issues very well and in the most professional way!

I think Lions Lair is a TOP Venue and a credit to "the scene" and more so Sheffield's clubbing culture.

I <3 Lions Lair!!! whoop whoop!!!

aaron1867...I play at Lions quite a bit and have my own club night "Robofunk" there once a month. I can honestly say that the Lions Lair staff & Door Staff take issues such as drugs and smoking inside very seriously. They are extremely professional and very friendly in the way that they greet customers. The door staff don't take any nonsence from anyone and deal with issues very well and in the most professional way!

I think Lions Lair is a TOP Venue and a credit to "the scene" and more so Sheffield's clubbing culture.

Well said!

I will have to disagree with you John Dixon. Everytime I go there, there is w black guys stood there dancing and smoking, whilst the one bar staff you have one is stood there watching wondering if he should do the right thing or just don nothing (which he does do).

Then the door man is happy to just stand there and watch fights break out.

I will have to disagree with you John Dixon. Everytime I go there, there is w black guys stood there dancing and smoking, whilst the one bar staff you have one is stood there watching wondering if he should do the right thing or just don nothing (which he does do).

Then the door man is happy to just stand there and watch fights break out.

It must be a different Lions Lair that you go to then lol ;)

It must be a different Lions Lair that you go to then lol ;)

Can i just say ask why is it relevant for people to describe other people by stating there race?

I've never been there, will have to give it a try. I wish all these gay places were next to each other tbh. Do all the guys who own them hate each other or something lol??

Most of my friends are quite experienced in the Sheffield gay scene but im not really, im getting into it now, with their help :)

Lions Lair is where we spend most of our time, i like it in there

I've never been there, will have to give it a try. I wish all these gay places were next to each other tbh. Do all the guys who own them hate each other or something lol??

The real problem is that there aren't enough gays to go round!

If you fill one venue the others are dead. There is nothing to attract outside visitors to it. Also the fact the straight scene is generally quite safe with plug, leadmill etc all being very succesful a lot of the students would rather just go to straight venues. If you have been out a lot in Sheffield you will see the same faces at all the straight and gay clubs.

You will find that with them all having 6am licences now, that xes used to be the place to go at 3am when the others closed but now all 4 have licences so instead of for example 300 people at dempseys 100 would after party at xes you are now spreading those people around 4 venues, making not any imparticular one busy. As well as people saving money and just staying at Dempseys all night instead of incurring more door and taxi charges.

Lions Lair is now a generally straight crowd, Xes relies mostly on its Thursday and Sunday £10 offers, Dempseys stays busy as ever, and so far new affinity doesnt seem to have done anything.

It is a similar story with Climax, it is only a once a month event held by the Uni but its knock on effect is actually detrimental to the rest of the bars. People save up all week for climax, spend all their money on the Friday, and then stay in on the Saturday.

Gay pride is another issue, it is very poorly supported in general by the scene. Anyone can attend the open meetings and last year of the bars I was the only one at the meetings from the bars. I also arranged 85% (them) 15% (me) profit split for the event so technically donated £1700 pounds to go back in to their account for this years event and took on all the organising of the bar for the event for just a small cut. Maybe this year the bars and clubs really need to get behind the pride committee and help out where they can, Manchester/Brighton etc didn't become so succesful without financial support.

Thats very true, there definately aren't enough gays to go round :(

And is the new affinity open now? it was still being fitted out last time i passed

The new Affinity is now open! 2 floors, 2 bars, 2 dancefloors, Former Mulberry tavern on Arundel gate, opposite Carling academy!

I'd agree with James on most he says, but I wouldn't imagine that most people save up just for Climax, when it isn't really all that expensive, well the drinks aren't. Dempsey's probably loses a lot of business to this, becuase they are rammed Friday and Saturday. But they still get enough in on both nights anyway.

I think Affinity will just dail in the long run, because they thought they would immediately take all of Dempsey's business, but clearly not.

Xes is ok and will still get on ok, because it gets a lot of late business! People like to go there after Dempsey's. Lions Lair is the worst place on the scene, but it must makes profit anyway, because it clearly doesn't take pride on it's appearance and only has about 3 staff.