The Sheffield Gay Scene

Another gay night coming up:

|kwi(É™)r|

FRIDAY 4th DECEMBER 2009

ALL LAUNCH NIGHT PROCEEDS WILL GO TO T'OTHER STAGE, THE WOMENS / TRANS / ALT QUEER SPACE AT SHEFFIELD PRIDE 2010

9pm - 3am at Penelopes, Arundel Gate (next to Odeon), Sheffield £5 b4 11pm (last entry 2am)

sees the launch of a Revolution in South Yorkshires Gay/Queer Klubbing Scene and beyond, a revolution which reaches far beyond just another night out.

Dec 4th 2009 sees the launch of |kwi(É™)r|, A Multi-Media Klub event featuring Artists from around the globe who have come together to bring you a new vision of our future, a revolution that all self respecting individual kwi(É™)rs will want to embrace.

Facebook Group : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&gid=173823204919

Myspace : http://www.myspace.com/kwier

Facebook Event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=318177505331&index=1

........... and as usual more info on my website :)

What exactly is Lions Lair nowadays?

:loopy:

Mmm... haven't used Sheffield Forum for a while and can't for the life of me remember my log in/email details. ANYWAY, I've started again.

A question for members on here: is "Robofunk" at Lions Lair an LGBT night per se?

Studied in Sheffield in 2005 and visited the place then, returned home for a year after my studies and am back to do my Master's. Since I've been away, Lions Lair is under new management.

Went last night with some friends and was asked on the door if we knew "the nature of this establishment". Had a fantastic night but looking back, albeit details are hazy as I was far too inebriated, it strikes me as if it wasn't. In hindsight, it wasn't really advertised as such and just presumed it was due to my past experiences at Lair. This is supported by Tyranna asking if it was "gay friendly" in this thread, or another, can't remember.

Anyone know if this night (a monthly fixture there) is a "regular" night at a gay venue? Or do Lions Lair have new clientele now? I know these may sound like very dumb questions but I hadn't been on a night out this semester and to be honest, like most information about the gay scene in Sheffield, resources are limited. Again, memories are sketchy but don't recall seeing the LGBT flag waving outside like it used to, though could be wrong.

Not that any of that actually matters as I enjoyed myself but just for future reference and to settle an argument. Cheers!

Edited by smithy2009

I completely agree.

As a former WAD Project Manager myself, I think whoever took the decision to choose 4pm should be forced to rethink before next year's event.

There is another World Aids Day event happening later that evening. It is being run by diva creative in partnership with the Centre for HIV. WADstock is a charity gig at the O2 Academy with local bands, comedy acts, dancers and performers. All money raised goes to three AIDS/HIV charities and tickets are only £5. For more details visit http://www.worldaidsdaysheffield.com or the thread here - http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=524949

What exactly is Lions Lair nowadays?

:loopy:

Mmm... haven't used Sheffield Forum for a while and can't for the life of me remember my log in/email details. ANYWAY, I've started again.

A question for members on here: is "Robofunk" at Lions Lair an LGBT night per se?

Studied in Sheffield in 2005 and visited the place then, returned home for a year after my studies and am back to do my Master's. Since I've been away, Lions Lair is under new management.

Went last night with some friends and was asked on the door if we knew "the nature of this establishment". Had a fantastic night but looking back, albeit details are hazy as I was far too inebriated, it strikes me as if it wasn't. In hindsight, it wasn't really advertised as such and just presumed it was due to my past experiences at Lair. This is supported by Tyranna asking if it was "gay friendly" in this thread, or another, can't remember.

Anyone know if this night (a monthly fixture there) is a "regular" night at a gay venue? Or do Lions Lair have new clientele now? I know these may sound like very dumb questions but I hadn't been on a night out this semester and to be honest, like most information about the gay scene in Sheffield, resources are limited. Again, memories are sketchy but don't recall seeing the LGBT flag waving outside like it used to, though could be wrong.

Not that any of that actually matters as I enjoyed myself but just for future reference and to settle an argument. Cheers!

Robofunk I believe is a monthly thing, but info is vague, I have seen a poster of it in Sanctuary.

Not sure who runs it but I wish they would get in touch so I can advertise it more. :huh:

If you find resources are limited in Sheffield about the gay scene, then you havent been looking in the right places :hihi::hihi:

Edited by SpiderPete
bad spelling, and not even opened bottle of wine yet

Hi All,

I run Lions Lair with a friend, so I’m the man in the know regarding the place!

Lions Lair is gay run, for gay people, but… there’s always a but… is supported massively from straight people. The venue would not exist as a gay place if it wasn’t supported by straight people. Costs to run even a small venue are huge – don’t get me wrong, we’re doing fine, but it wouldn’t work with just the income the gay scene provides.

Once a month nights like Robofunk, are not plugged as a gay night, and I don’t feel they have to be. Gay people who look for a Sheffield gay bar, will find Lions Lair on the relevant websites, but I don’t see the need to plaster the place with gay flags etc for two reasons. One, gay people know it’s gay already. Two, straight people would be put off going in a place that was plastered with gay flags. Most people know its gay, and I personally think that it’s great that we are supported so much by the straight lot… as ten years ago I can’t say that the integration of gay and straights would happen so easily in the city centre. Sounds like the plot from Hairspray!

We do get very occasional scuffles inside during the early hours, but what venue that’s open til 6am on weekends doesn’t? I know Dempseys does, as I’ve seen it! I can say though, that they are never gay hate related, just alcohol related. Lord knows I’ve kissed enough guys in there to know its not gay hate related! *lowers head in shame* haha.. All our door staff are common to Affinity and Sanctuary, or friends thereof, so are very keen to make sure anyone who is gay feels safe inside, and they do so very effectively.

The point I’m making is that it is for gays and straights who are open minded, and out to have a good time with different music to the likes of Dempseys. Our music policy of electro / tech house on weekends is what keeps us very different from anywhere else.

Anyway, I hope this has been of some help!

Cheers

Graham

4.00 pm!?!?!?! What a ridiculous time for the vigil! There will be nobody there because everybody will be at work. It should be much later, about 8.00 pm. Who organised it at this early time, -and why?

Email response I got back was :

timing has been a bit of an issue due to availability of the Winter Gardens and Councillor Scriven

I might get there for the last 2 seconds. :(

Just a quickie: Two new Gay Nights coming up:

Kw(e)ir at Penelope's, near Odeon, Friday 4th December.

'Riot At The Milkbar', at Sanctuary, Saturday 5th December.

BTW, at SHOUT Gay Mens Group This Thursday, 26 Nov, it's FILM NIGHT, so get there early by 7pm!

Finally, BEST OF LUCK to Anthony at the new AFFINITY, which rumor also has it, is opening on the same night, Thursday 26th! I'll be going on there from SHOUT...

Out of interest, does anyone know who is running kweir? I see that Lisa (pride organiser) and david & robert baker are DJing - is it them?!

We were wanting to get in touch to see if we can help promote etc.

cheers

Graham

Out of interest, does anyone know who is running kweir? I see that Lisa (pride organiser) and david & robert baker are DJing - is it them?!

cheers

Graham

You will find that Heather Patterson is one of the main organisers; I cant remember what her Forum name is again; BTW: D'OH! thenight at Sanctuary is MURDER at the Milkbar, NOT 'Riot at the Milkbar'! Sorry!:hihi:

Edited by Tyranna
Mis spelling

cheers

Graham

I will send a FB request and let her know :)