Pewitt Café near Owler Bar

Pewitt Café near Owler Bar

According to local gossip it was bought by the owners of the newly built stone house.

The story goes that it was deliberately set on fire so that they could then replace it with a modern building, but there are always tales like that going around.:suspect:

Yes knew Roland well lived accross the rd from him went to there partys as for Betty Sergent went out with her at school dont know Les Poole though,Bettys parents used to do shift work great when they were on 2-10.00.

If you lived opposite Pauline, you may have known Dick Mottishead. He was a tyrefitter at Kennings. I worked with him for a while whilst serving my apprenticeship, great guy! I lived on Springwater Drive, Tom Porter is the name. Used to be in Howard's bike shop quite a lot and was good pals with Keith Booth who worked there. I think I might know you?

Yep i lived at 16 but always thought it was David Mottishead but definitely remember them i think they lived at no 6,but if you remember me i apologise i was a giant pain in the a--e LOL.

Hi OAP 1942 I'm sure I must have known you way back then. I used to deliver 'The Star' in that area for many years, and I'm wracking my brain to think of names. I seem to recall a family called Bakers, who could have lived at 14 or 18. And a guy with a motorbike and sidecar (Storey?) at 22 or 24 (bit of a perv, I think). Dave Mottishead was the son of Dick, the guy I worked with. They did live at no. 6. Please, what's your name?

Yep guilty as charged im Norman Baker lived at 16 but after leaving school only spent about 3yrs of and on there before i had it away,stopped being called Nobby reverted to first name Mike,got married for 2nd time still am never went bck until 84,(black Sheep of the family).

Mike

Yep guilty as charged im Norman Baker lived at 16 but after leaving school only spent about 3yrs of and on there before i had it away,stopped being called Nobby reverted to first name Mike,got married for 2nd time still am never went bck until 84,(black Sheep of the family).

Mike

Well, small world! Am I right in thinking that your dad had a Triumph Herald, and a London accent.

Yes at least he did when i left, never saw him again.

My two uncles were in Beighton Wheelers Freddie and Eric Dodson

Les Poole as I remember was the time trial guy in late 40's to 50's period

My two uncles were in Beighton Wheelers Freddie and Eric Dodson

Les Poole as I remember was the time trial guy in late 40's to 50's period

Any one remember Brian Jolly .

In the late 50s the star Beighton Whs rider was Mick Bennett who won 25mile TTs.In 1956 I bought a 24" Baines frame with a very steep seat tube and short rear triangle from him for 5 pounds,the deal being done in Henry Holmes bike shop on London Rd,Sheffield.

Jo (I think) Robottom was in the Sheffield Phoenix,a promising road racer coached by Lol Dodd.She died very early,I think from leukaemia.I met her several times at HH's other shop at Sharrowvale Rd..

I remember stopping at the Pewitt Cafe on my cycling trips out to Derbyshire in the 1950's.

My parents, who were both keen cyclists, were members of the Sheffield Grove Cycling Club in the 1930's. They first met at the Peacock Inn at Owler Bar - under an outdoor shelter at the front of the pub - which no doubt was used by cyclists as a resting place after the long uphill ride from Baslow or Hathersage.

Details of the Grove Club are ellusive; altho' I suspect it was based somewhere off Ecclesall Road, close to where my Dad lived and where there are several roads named 'Grove'.

On 26/2/2009 I posted on SF about the Club and attached a photo of some members, but so far without response. I appreciate most of the people in the photo will by now have departed to the ' great clubhouse in the sky', but it would be interesting to hear from anyone (almost certainly older Forummers)who may have heard of the Grove C C or who recognises anybody in the picture.

Echo

In the late 50s the star Beighton Whs rider was Mick Bennett who won 25mile TTs.In 1956 I bought a 24" Baines frame with a very steep seat tube and short rear triangle from him for 5 pounds,the deal being done in Henry Holmes bike shop on London Rd,Sheffield.

Jo (I think) Robottom was in the Sheffield Phoenix,a promising road racer coached by Lol Dodd.She died very early,I think from leukaemia.I met her several times at HH's other shop at Sharrowvale Rd..

I think it was Christine Rowbottom.....I was fortunate enough to meet both her and Lol Dodd on several occasions