Pewitt Café near Owler Bar

was a member of phoenix cc we used to meet at millhoses park and pewit was first stop on way out

another we used to stop at on way back was ranch house at blythe,both cafes allways had loads of bikes outside

happy fit days

was a member of phoenix cc we used to meet at millhoses park and pewit was first stop on way out

another we used to stop at on way back was ranch house at blythe,both cafes allways had loads of bikes outside

happy fit days

Do you remember when at the top of Baslow Hill it was then a mad sprint to see who could get to the Pewitt first ,sometimes there could be as many as 70 or 80 cyclists how nobody got killed i will never know.

yes we used to sprint to cafe.also used to sprint to boundary signs such as worksop or lincoln

I remember it well. I used to cycle with my dad who was East Pennine secretary of the Autumn Tints cycling club and the Peewit was a regular meeting place. I once went there and came home with a kitten....the owner had one looking for a home and my cat had died.

New it well used to stop off there on the way back from Wildest Derbyshire first on the back of my Uncles tandem(Dennis Wilson Sheff Highgate wheelers)

then under my own steam (by the way the tandem was a beldem)my other uncle Arthur wilson also of Sheff Highgate often accompanied us both were keen time triallers and Dennis in particlar was a keen hillclimber,winning Monsal in 1956,any memory's out there?,we had a Ginger cat from there as well called it Tiger because it was frightened of nothing!,lived until it was 18!

Cheers

We Beighton Wheelers use to stop there first thing Sunday mornings when heading for Lathkildale and Matlock Bath hot buttered toast great tea and when coming back great relief that id made it from Baslow this was 55/6.I had a 3speed Raleigh Clubman and on cold wet November afternoons climbing out of Baslow was enough to make tears roll down this 14yr olds face i could kiss the Pewitt.

We Beighton Wheelers use to stop there first thing Sunday mornings when heading for Lathkildale and Matlock Bath hot buttered toast great tea and when coming back great relief that id made it from Baslow this was 55/6.I had a 3speed Raleigh Clubman and on cold wet November afternoons climbing out of Baslow was enough to make tears roll down this 14yr olds face i could kiss the Pewitt.[/QU

Did BEIghton wheelers have two champion time trailers in those days a lad and a lass also Ian Steele who was good on a bike.

The only girl i knew with them or can remember was Pauline Williamson,from Cotleigh Rd who was older than me and the reason i went schoolboy crush but the pain and rejection made me realise it was a lost cause,lol

I remember Pauline Williamson off Cotleigh Rd, she had a brother called Roland. I was also younger than her, so didn't get a look in! The only other females I can recall were Maggie Bishop and Mary Wyer, but I think Pauline was most likely to be the best time trialler. Oh, there was also Betty Sergeant, who Les Poole used to fancy.

The only girl i knew with them or can remember was Pauline Williamson,from Cotleigh Rd who was older than me and the reason i went schoolboy crush but the pain and rejection made me realise it was a lost cause,lol

I think the lass i am remembering was called Robottom.

Yes knew Roland well lived accross the rd from him went to there partys as for Betty Sergent went out with her at school dont know Les Poole though,Bettys parents used to do shift work great when they were on 2-10.00.