Pewitt Café near Owler Bar

In the fifties I can remember a Café called the ' Pewitt ' between Holmesfield and The Peacock. Owler Bar.

Though Ramblers usually coming up from the Cordwell Valley called, mainly it was the last stop for Cyclist after a day out in the Peak District.

I believe some cycling clubs met at the cafe during week day evenings to plan runs.

I also believe in years gone bye that Coal, mined in the Dronfield area & locally was transported from the Pewitt out to the Hope Valley.

Has anyone got memory's of it?

In the fifties I can remember a Café called the ' Pewitt ' between Holmesfield and The Peacock. Owler Bar.

Though Ramblers usually coming up from the Cordwell Valley called, mainly it was the last stop for Cyclist after a day out in the Peak District.

I believe some cycling clubs met at the cafe during week day evenings to plan runs.

I also believe in years gone bye that Coal, mined in the Dronfield area & locally was transported from the Pewitt out to the Hope Valley.

Yes I remember it, it is now a stone built house, the old place was knock down years ago in the eighties I think but could be wrong.

My husband has been a cyclist and a member of the Rutland CC for about 38 years. He remembers the Pewitt being the first cafe he ever stopped at as a cyclist, on the first run he ever did out of Sheffield, he says they always had tea in pint pots.

My husband has been a cyclist and a member of the Rutland CC for about 38 years. He remembers the Pewitt being the first café he ever stopped at as a cyclist, on the first run he ever did out of Sheffield, he says they always had tea in pint pots.

Can he recollect a short time-trial that was held, Its route being.

Start from the Peewitt -Round the Roundabout at Owler Bar (The Peacock) - Back past café up and to the Bottom of the hill at Holmesfield. - Then back up the hill to finish at the café. --- ( And being No good for Woman or beast and glad it was mostly down hill the way back home ).

No, he can't remember that particular time trial, but he also says it seems very short. (seems long to me)

I remember the Pewitt cafe in the 1950s.It was the venue for a number of bike races.I think it was owned by a man called Thompson who also had a bike shop on Chesterfield Rd at Heeley.He built frames which were adorned with a letter T cut from tin cac and brazed to the front of the head tube.His wife ran the cafe during the day and certainly dispensed pint mugs of tea.

On that last sharp corner just before you turned on the straight to the Peacock roundabout and past the cafe, we always used to do a "prime" sprint, but no prize. One of our team had a Dawes and the front forks broke at the spindle point right there. Put us off that make for ever.

The old Pewitt cafe. Yes it was a stop fo any body but the cyclists and hikers mostly.. It was a long wooden building..Our family used to go on a ride and stopped there for tea. I also remember going to the Peacock at Owlerbar..Sat on my Dads crossbar on a little saddle with stirrups..I fell into the horse trough outside..That cooled me down..Was about 4 at the time..We used to go out cycling every Sunday.. My Dad had a cycle shop on Infirmary road called " Smiths Cycles"..Corner of Watery street..

Those were the days..Pjakay

brings back memories!!

brings back memories!!

Thank God we can still remember...Old timers disease catches up in the end

I remember the Pewitt cafe in the 1950s.It was the venue for a number of bike races.I think it was owned by a man called Thompson who also had a bike shop on Chesterfield Rd at Heeley.He built frames which were adorned with a letter T cut from tin cac and brazed to the front of the head tube.His wife ran the cafe during the day and certainly dispensed pint mugs of tea.

Does anyone know what happened to Thomsons bike shop i wonder if any of his bikes are still around,His shop was where Ponsfords is now.

Edited by cuttsie
spelling

I remember it well, bikes stacked 6 deep outside and pint mugs of tea inside, some of us individual riders would sometimes tag on with some others if they were going on a run you fancied, just off topic I remember 4 of us coming back from Cleethorpes and we caught up with Doncaster rovers cycling (I think it was ) club and tagged onto the back and if I recall right there were about 100 cyclists two abreast happy days wish my legs still worked as well as those days