Oxfam Shop Woodseats

firstly, Ian, (and others!) it might only be a penny, but it's not the amount, it's the principle of it.

Secondly, I do think that some Charity shops (CS) are taking the mickey, in their prices. I have seen, many times, new items that customers have donated, with a shop label still on them for sale in the CS, with a price tag far in excess of a) the goods' value, and b) what the original store was selling the item for (eg I have seen a £6.99 pair of shoes on sale for £9 for sale, in one CS, and in another, a boxed wrist-watch that retails for a fiver, on sale at £29.99). They seem to be playing on customer's soft hearts that "Ah, but, it is for the charity...

firstly, Ian, (and others!) it might only be a penny, but it's not the amount, it's the principle of it.

If it was any other shop then yeah maybe, but its 1p and its a charity shop, ffs come on.

I would feel more embarrsed if they gave it me back to be honest, anything less than 20p/50p depending how skint i am in change allways goes in charity box when i get change from a shop.

Most people who are tight over a few pennys have a good few quid n the bank as well.

I use this shop sometimes and hadn't noticed that they were putting any of my change into the charity box but then I usually have my grubby mitt stuck out awaiting the change and receit. One of my friends works in there so maybe I'm being given special service [doubtful I know] and I've got another friend who has been known to mention an over inflated price if she see's one. In all fairness though the staff that price goods up can't be expected to know the retail price of all the items when they were new.

I use this shop sometimes and hadn't noticed that they were putting any of my change into the charity box but then I usually have my grubby mitt stuck out awaiting the change and receit. One of my friends works in there so maybe I'm being given special service [doubtful I know] and I've got another friend who has been known to mention an over inflated price if she see's one. In all fairness though the staff that price goods up can't be expected to know the retail price of all the items when they were new.

True, Wallbuilder, in some circumstances:- but if items have been donated unworn, say, or unused and with the original store price labels on them, or in the original packaging, then that's often a really huge, and obvious clue.

for example, one CS I went into recently, had some-such stuff that had been donated, that the donor had bought from Poundland, with the Poundland logo quite clearly and quite obviously visible on them... Marked up for £1.50/ £2.00/ £2.50.

Now, to me, that's taking the rise more than a little, whether it's money that's going to "charidee" or not.

Its 1p for christ sake, whats wrong with you all?:)

Only in Yorkshire could there be such indignance about a penny....unbelievable innit.

And mine is the contempt they show for their customers by using the £X.99 trick to make things appear cheaper than they are.

Wouldn't shop at Oxfam anyway, their back-office people pay themselves too much.

Oxfam is in fact well known for having small overheads and using ex business people as volunteers to help run the main show as well as the paid employees.

Pretty sure that all shop staff are unpaid as well.

Only in Yorkshire could there be such indignance about a penny....unbelievable innit.

I know:rolleyes:

I use this shop loads, and always tell them to keep the change anyway.

If stuff is over priced then simply don`t buy it;)

Secondly, I do think that some Charity shops (CS) are taking the mickey, in their prices. I have seen, many times, new items that customers have donated, with a shop label still on them for sale in the CS, with a price tag far in excess of a) the goods' value, and b) what the original store was selling the item for (eg I have seen a £6.99 pair of shoes on sale for £9 for sale, in one CS, and in another, a boxed wrist-watch that retails for a fiver, on sale at £29.99). They seem to be playing on customer's soft hearts that "Ah, but, it is for the charity...

I agree with you up to a point here PT they do seem to price themselves out of business by over charging compared with buying something new but we also have to admit that maybe their prices relect what things really cost. Primark etc use slave/ child labour in order to sell their clothes etc so cheaply.

We are so used to this system that many people don't see the ethical side of things. However I must admit that in the past I wouldn't buy clothes from the likes of Traidcraft as they were so expensive but recently M&S have been selling fairtrade t shirts for a fiver so it proves ethically sourced produces can be sold at resonable prices.

I agree with you up to a point here PT they do seem to price themselves out of business by over charging compared with buying something new but we also have to admit that maybe their prices relect what things really cost. Primark etc use slave/ child labour in order to sell their clothes etc so cheaply.

We are so used to this system that many people don't see the ethical side of things. However I must admit that in the past I wouldn't buy clothes from the likes of Traidcraft as they were so expensive but recently M&S have been selling fairtrade t shirts for a fiver so it proves ethically sourced produces can be sold at resonable prices.

I have bought three things in total, ever, from Primark, before I found out about the child labour thing. I now won't buy from there, on a point of principle.

The keeping-back-the-change issue, as I said above, It's not the amount, it's the principle.

Whether it's a penny, a 50p, or a £20 note, until I physically put the coin or note into the box, it does not belong to them, it belongs to me. Ok, I usually do put the change in those boxes, myself, anyway, but it's MY decision to do so, not someone else's. To me it's tantamount to them helping themselves to the money from my purse.

I understand the 'it's the principle' thing, and if it was 10p maybe ... but a penny? Who cares for pennies these days, even little children won't be bothered to stoop down to pick up a dropped penny :)

The vast majority of people will say put it in the charity box for anything up to 5p, and I have to confess that when someone stands there with their hand out waiting for the penny change, I do briefly think "Skinflint" :hihi:

We use to many resouces in this world power to recyling.

As for the staff they are really good in woodseats special needs or not.

Staff are there voluntary and deserve to be treated and respected by everyone who uses the shop

Staff are there voluntary and deserve to be treated and respected by everyone who uses the shop

Yeah and so do the custermors for gods sake whom without the charitys would crumble and after making a donation by buying freely handed in clothes they dont expect to be ripped off!! and people saying it's right are just looking for an argument. Im sick of this happening in the WRVS in the hallamshire "penny in the box" they say it really annoys me and i have just started saying no. How dare they decide what you do with your money it's disgusting behaviour!!

They do the same with books. I just wouldn't pay for something second hand hand if I knew I could get it cheaper brand new.

You're right about Oxfam. I saw a book in really bad condition - dirty, torn cover etc and couldn't believe they wanted £2.50 for it. It was a paperback Terry Pratchett book - nothing special or unusual. I absolutely couldn't believe the price.