Just put house up for sale...

For thos who are interested, I spotted this purely anecdotal article on the prices of flats (sorry, 'apartments'), which mentions Sheffield a lot:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/3410559/Britains-city-centres-left-reeling-by-house-price-crash.html

Read that at lunch time. It mentions Sheffield a lot, but all the examples are from elsewhere!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.jhtml?xml=/property/2008/11/06/npbargain106.xml

This one was interesting as well.

Price falls so far

Average price now Fall since June 08 Fall in a year

Yorkshire £128,591 5.7% 14.2%

North West £137,487 7.1% 10.5%

North & North East £138,063 0.3% 9.3%

West Midlands £162,861 5.7% 9.5%

East Midlands £147,559 4.5% 13.1%

Source: HBOS/Halifax Estate Agents

Predicted falls from 'high' of late 2007

By end 2008 By end 2009 By end 2010

Yorkshire 13.2% 22.3% 21.9%

North West 13.2% 22.0% 21.2%

North & North East 10.5% 15.8% 15.1%

West Midlands 13.1% 21.4% 20.6%

East Midlands 12.2% 20.4% 19.3%

Particularly that table.

Read that at lunch time. It mentions Sheffield a lot, but all the examples are from elsewhere!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.jhtml?xml=/property/2008/11/06/npbargain106.xml

This one was interesting as well.

Price falls so far

Average price now Fall since June 08 Fall in a year

Yorkshire £128,591 5.7% 14.2%

North West £137,487 7.1% 10.5%

North & North East £138,063 0.3% 9.3%

West Midlands £162,861 5.7% 9.5%

East Midlands £147,559 4.5% 13.1%

Source: HBOS/Halifax Estate Agents

Predicted falls from 'high' of late 2007

By end 2008 By end 2009 By end 2010

Yorkshire 13.2% 22.3% 21.9%

North West 13.2% 22.0% 21.2%

North & North East 10.5% 15.8% 15.1%

West Midlands 13.1% 21.4% 20.6%

East Midlands 12.2% 20.4% 19.3%

Particularly that table.

Sounds about right to me although it could be a bit conservative on the falls.

Prices in Crookes are now the same as they were in 2006.So they are still higher than when we moved up here 3 and a half years ago

Prices in Crookes are now the same as they were in 2006.So they are still higher than when we moved up here 3 and a half years ago

Give it a few more months and you'll get there.

I live in Crookes and no one wanted to buy our home. We gave up in the end after slashing a total of 40K off the asking price.

I live in Crookes and no one wanted to buy our home. We gave up in the end after slashing a total of 40K off the asking price.

What did you slash it to?

It wasnt by any chance Saxton mee selling it was it?

Predicted falls from 'high' of late 2007.....

<snip>

Particularly that table.

They'll fall more than that, don't worry. Don't forget that just 11 months ago, HBOS and the like all predicted rises of around 5% this year, then a few months in they altered that to say small, single digit falls, now they have updated their forecasts again, admitting prices have already fallen 15% from their peak...

Ignore such 'experts', they've been playing catchup for over a year now. You know as well as I do that the UK economic conditions that will play a major part in how much houses are bought & sold for have barely kicked in yet. Heck, even Nationwide's CEO has said the falls will be bigger than his cheif economic officer, who continues to try and put a bullish spin on her monthly report. :rolleyes:

Next year will see a continuation in price drops and hopefully the return of house prices to their real "normal"; i.e. affordable levels based on a sensible multiple of the average salary. It isn't "different this time"! ;)

...Next year will see a continuation in price drops and hopefully the return of house prices to their real "normal"; i.e. affordable levels based on a sensible multiple of the average salary. It isn't "different this time"! ;)

I think it IS different this time although I know it's not what you meant.

Until banks get their capitalisation under control and a safe loan ratio, they won't be lending at the terms that were in existence before the boom. We're also about to hit a recession or worse, people will become very risk averse. I'd expect a big and sustained overshoot on the way down.

I think it IS different this time although I know it's not what you meant.

Until banks get their capitalisation under control and a safe loan ratio, they won't be lending at the terms that were in existence before the boom. We're also about to hit a recession or worse, people will become very risk averse. I'd expect a big and sustained overshoot on the way down.

Completely agree.

What is worrying me most right now is the Government (and to a similar extect, the shadow Government) approach of borrowing yet more money and attempting to spending our way out of a recession. This will only end in more tears and a more damage in the long run. How anyone can think borrownig money to get us out of a problem caused by borrowing too much money(!!) is a good plan, I simply cannot fathom.