Sign in to follow this  

Fao homeschoolers - watch out!!!

I don't want to cause panic or scaremongering but I read a very interesting poster in my GP's the other day.

Basically it was asking for people to call a helpline if they think that a child is not attending school.

So your not so well meaning nosy neighbour calls the helpline about your home-schooled child not attending school and they you get an ewo on your door step.

It was specifically asking for people to be on the look out for children who have never been registered at a school (can't remember how it was worded, but some stats were quoted about how many children are not registered for a school)

I know there must be a small number of children who are not registered at a school and also not having a home education but surely the numbers are small, what I mean is that I know this scheme will benefit these children but surely it could have been worded better so that it said call for children who you know are not been provided with an education instead???

discuss.....

On searching for more info i found this:

The role of your local authority

Local authorities can make informal enquiries of parents who are educating their children at home to establish that a suitable education is being provided. If your local authority makes an informal enquiry, you can provide evidence your child is receiving an efficient and suitable education by:

writing a report

providing samples of your child’s work

inviting a local authority representative to your home, with or without your child being present

meeting a local authority representative outside the home, with or without your child being present (representatives have no automatic right of access to your home)

If it appears to the local authority that a child is not receiving a suitable education, then it might serve a school attendance order.

Although you're not legally required to inform your local authority when you decide to educate your child at home, it is helpful if you do so. If you are taking your child out of school to home-educate them, you need to inform the school in writing.

full thing here :http://www.oxfordhomeschooling.co.uk/GeneralInformation/HomeSchoolingAndTheLaw.htm

I think as long as you are doing what is required you have nothing to fear so its a good thing! so many children disappear under the radar and i think that every little thing needs to be checked nowadays.

Thing is though, you can provide your child with an education without the need for 'work' as such. Providing it is suitable to the childs stage of ability then that is fine.

I know if I decide to home school my little one then I will not be showing her work to the education people.