Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

as a PS, the remembrance thing commemmorates more than the two world wars, it also commemmorates the fallen in conflicts, since, such as the suez crisis, the Korean war, and the Falklands as well as the actions in the two gulf wars.

as a PS, the remembrance thing commemmorates more than the two world wars, it also commemmorates the fallen in conflicts, since, such as the suez crisis, the Korean war, and the Falklands as well as the actions in the two gulf wars.

Can you tell me the percentage of ethnics who took part in these conflicts? I doubt it was more than 1%,if that.

Yep again you try to make case for these people when you know they are very marginal to say the least.

Can you tell me the percentage of ethnics who took part in these conflicts? I doubt it was more than 1%,if that.

Yep again you try to make case for these people when you know they are very marginal to say the least.

All the South African troops who took part in the seond world war were volunteers and together with the Canadians, Australians, Asians, New Zealanders and many others made up much more than 1 per cent.

Theres a chart here and here

*Not sure of its accuracy though, due to it being on wikipedia

All the South African troops who took part in the seond world war were volunteers and together with the Canadians, Australians, Asians, New Zealanders and many others made up much more than 1 per cent.

Ok let me say I meant on ethnic grounds just like PT ,south africans and ozzies are white so again what percentage are non white?

I imagine that not a large amount of 'other faith' soldiers were part of the nations effort which is being commemorated.

So why should we be considering a small section of people who probably have nothing to do with it anyway?

I'm sick of all this rubbish, pandering to 'other ' people. It's getting to where nothing is sacred or truly English anymore because we have to careful in case some other sod doesn't like it.

Grr!

Father Colin Coppen decided it was unfair on non-Anglicans to make them attend a church of England service.

Even aside from all the troops from around the British Empire who served (over half a million Indian troops were involved for example who suffered over 100,000 casualties) there were many hundreds of thousands Catholic, non-Anglican Protestant, agnostic, atheist, Jewish... Brits who served.

I’m not sure what the situation was like back then but Anglicans are now a minority in this country so the vicar is hardly concerned about ‘a small section of people’.

Ok let me say I meant on ethnic grounds just like PT ,south africans and ozzies are white so again what percentage are non white?

Sorry, but exactly what is your point here? Obviously the majority of people fighting for this country would have been white, as the majority of the population is white. However, there were a significant number of non-whites fighting for this country of ours too. More to the point, there were people of many different religions fighting.

Your posts seems to suggest that non-white people were less significant, because there were less of them.

please correct me if I'm wrong.

(I know this is pointless, because you will not respond to it, you just prefer to make a point and then not discuss the responses to it. Not exactly heroic)

Did you even read the article you posted?

The vicar did this out of conern for non-Anglicans not for 'ethnics', non-Anglicans have been rather more than 'marginal to say the least' in this country from before the Church of England was even created and certainly are today and were during WWI.

Did you even read the article you posted?

The vicar did this out of conern for non-Anglicans not for 'ethnics', non-Anglicans have been rather more than 'marginal to say the least' in this country from before the Church of England was even created and certainly are today and were during WWI.

As always, why let the truth get in the way of a good old rant. :rolleyes:

roy you are talking bullspit again, as usual.

As the granddaughter of a first world war veteran, I am proud to honour the people who dacrificed their lives and their health for us, and our democracy, no matter what their colour or creed.

I honour Johnson Beharry VC, Walter Tull and their ilk.

They did not say "well, I'm black, so I won't fight!"

Let me present the poem I performed at an anti-racism event last year, called "Walter Tull And Family History" by a poet called Stuart Butler.

and can I point out, particularly, the passage in red, to our "friendly" dronfield racist, who supports the poppy days, but is incensed that the monies raised are going to the likes of Johnson Beharry VC....

the men of Tull's regiment certainly did not care that he was a black man, the son of a slave....

Walter Tull and Family History

It was a typically dank Remembrance Day,

When I biked out to Lydiard Millicent,

Through Wiltshire lanes and sodden yellow leaves;

I went to see Mr. Arthur Tull, a relation of my mum’s,

Who had a family tree going back, he reckoned,

To the 18th century seed drill Tull, good old Jethro.

We didn’t discuss the fact that 4% of white Britons

May well have black slave ancestry,

Nor did the TV show any West Indian or Asian old soldiers

Marching beneath the umbrellas, laying any wreaths,

And when we talked football and the good old days,

We didn’t mention Walter Tull, Tottenham inside left

Until he was traumatised by Bristol City bigots,

Back in those imperial golden days before the Great War.

Walter, the London grandson of a slave,

Transferred to Northampton Town,

Then courted by Grimsby and Glasgow Rangers,

Until he joined the 1st Football Battalion,

The Middlesex Regiment,

Fighting on the Somme, and maybe meeting my footballing granddad,

Becoming a sergeant, and then 2nd lieutenant Tull,

The Second ever black professional footballer,

And the 1st ever black officer in the British Army.

2nd Lieutenant Walter Tull,

Once a printer, grandson of a slave, orphaned son of a joiner,

KIA 25th March 1918, aged 29,

Eulogised by his Commanding Officer,

“The battalion and company have lost a faithful officer

and personally, I have lost a friend”,

And so popular with his men,

That they repeatedly tried to get him back,

As he lay dead in No Mans’ Land,

He must have had the common touch, Walter,

Even though he was an uncommon man.

But I didn’t discuss any of this with Arthur,

How could I? I hadn’t heard of Walter 20 odd years ago -

But next season, when Swindon play at Northampton,

I’ll visit his Garden of Remembrance,

And I’ll take a poppy from me and one from Arthur,

And one from my dad and my grandad

And one from my brother-in-law,

And his dad from Bristol City,

So the future can reclaim the past

And so the past can redefine the future,

A future of comradeship way beyond the confine of colour.

© Stuart Butler

south africans are white? you do talk tommyrot, roy, I think mister Mandela and mr Thabo Mbeke, and the rest of the black/ mixed race majority population in SA might differ in their opinions. (not that they fought in the war, I'm pointing this out in answer to your completely ludicrous and absurd statement that the "South Africans are white")

any know where i can buy one in town. Looked everywhere on fargate, high street etc.

Thanks