Sign in to follow this  

Midland Mainline - Most punctual long distance train operator

The National Rail Trends (punctuality) report released today by the Strategic Rail Authority (SRA), shows that Midland Mainline is the most punctual UK long distance train operating company, with a punctuality figure of 89.8% between October and December 2004.

We were also the most improved UK train operator for punctuality compared to the same period in 2003.

This year our performance has continued to go from strength to strength. In January, we achieved our best ever punctuality, with a record 94.3% of trains reaching their destination on time.

These achievements have been helped by a dedicated improvement programme, which included an £18.7m refurbishment of our High Speed Train fleet, the arrival of brand new Meridian trains and improved procedures at our stations.

And we're committed to ensuring we maintain a consistently high level of punctuality throughout the rest of 2005.

Geez, I must always get one of the 10.2%

Originally posted by hotphil

Geez, I must always get one of the 10.2%

and i must always be the other 89.8%... never been on a late MML yet

Well although I don't travel by train too often, mine have been on time. Off to London next weekend with Mainline so hope it keeps up the punctuality.:)

Usually a few mins late into St Pancras whenever I go, but doesnt really matter. More time to enjoy the free tea and coffee :P

Guest Cutglass

I tend to use the trains every other wk/end I've usually found them to be on time but it's when I have to change, then they're either way too early or 20 mins late. I get stuck between deciding whether to run for the next train scouting the screens to see which platform I should be on or thinking bugger it I'll grab a coffee and a fag.

9 times out of 10 I plump for the fag and coffee.

Only once ever been late on Midland Mainline - coming back from St Pancras (some years ago now).

Was quite late getting back from Chesterfield a couple of weeks ago - train came to a complete stop in a cutting. Driver announced youths were on the line, and he had stopped for safety reasons.

Does Andy C know if such an occurance will count against Midland Mainline's punctuality records? If so, seems unfair as the delay was outside of their control.

I think there's all kinds of massaging of the figures, much like the unemployment figures!

Such an occurrence is within their control though.

all that has happened is that they have revised timetables effectively making it look like the journey takes longer by adding 5 minutes to the arrival time. Therefore giving themselves more time.

Customer service is still quite poor it will take a lot to get that to change

Originally posted by clairee

all that has happened is that they have revised timetables effectively making it look like the journey takes longer by adding 5 minutes to the arrival time. Therefore giving themselves more time.

Customer service is still quite poor it will take a lot to get that to change

And whats wrong with that, if the timetable is unrealistic then it makes sense to change it.

Customer service i've found to be good. Left a hat on a train the other day and was directed exactly to the person who had it within 3-4 minutes of realising.

Originally posted by clairee

That's quite sensible really. If you CANNOT arrive where you're supposed to at the dictated time, give yourself more and you will.

Definetely a sensible idea.

It should be remembered that the train operators are at the total mercy of Rail Track in the punctuality stakes. All it takes is for some cowboy contractor to leave a few clips off a rail or forget to tighten some bolts in a points set and you might as well throw the timetable in the bin. ;)