George Longden, Builders

On 1/29/2008 at 5:58 PM, Welsh Girl said:

I worked at Longden's from the late 1950's to 1968 leaving to have my first baby. They were based at St Peter's Close and also had an office on Church Street.Parking space was at a premium then some of the Director's using the garage which was under the building.The caretaker's name being Fred Barber who I believe also lived on the premises . The Company Secretary was Mr. Edward Fisher(known behind his back as Teddy) he was a local methodist lay preacher. He was of the old school very meticulous in all he did ,wages at that time were all done by hand and written in large ledgers. I had the job of helping Mr. Fisher balance them .Longden's were responsible for quite a few of the new buildings around the 60' and 70's including the Cathedral extension also some of the University Buildings including the Hicks building and the Chemistry block.

I worked there in the 60s at St Peter's Close . Remember the Christmas parties at the Blind Institute where Mr Fisher would oversee the bar . Apart from the above jobs we built the multi storey car park with the Cavendish Club in the basement  and many others . I worked with Ron Jones and Dennis ? , Bob Littlewood , Keith Marshall , Alwyn ? , Great place to work .

Edited by kenl22
Wrong name

On 3/16/2005 at 4:11 PM, yrab said:

I am trying to obtain information about "Longdens of Sheffield" who were responsible for many of Sheffield`s large building projectsCathedral ,university ,Hillsborough Cantilever Stand etc.

They, along with Boots, Flanagans and Gleasons built most of Sheffield in the 1950's. They hired half of Ireland as laborers.  I worked on a lot of their projects.

There was one more major builder but I can't remember their name.

Anybody?

Longdens built the extension to Eldon House, on Charter Row, during about 1970 to 1973. The extension dwarfed the original building, which was built, I think, by Boots in the early 1960s. 

At the time the extension was built, I lived next door to one Victor Harrison who claimed he designed the extension.

On 1/28/2008 at 10:07 AM, yrab said:

Dear Mr Hickman,

I was delighted to receive your message and thank you.

From what you say it seems likely that your grandfather and my father were collegues.

My father was Lawrence Jackson and started work with Longdens when he left school in1916 and retired in the late 60`s .Does this correspond with your grandfather`s time at the firm? I have several photos taken at firm`s functions showing members of staff.

Would it be possible for me to speak to you on the phone?

If so ,please let me know your number.

Mine is 01493 661694 and Email baz.jack@ntlworld. com

I do hope that we will communicate further as it means a great deal to me.

Many thanks ,

Barry Jackson

Hi Barry . Do any of your photos relate to the period 65 -68 ? I worked there then with Ron Jones and Dennis ? I remember the functions well , Christmas and Cricket matches with a Manchester firm . Christmas functions at the Blind Institute . ' Kitty the Sink ' , ' Jake the Peg ' have lived in my memory as well as the annual revue ' At St Peters in the Close ' which was an irreverent look back at the events of the year in poetic format . Good days indeed .

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, trastrick said:

They, along with Boots, Flanagans and Gleasons built most of Sheffield in the 1950's. They hired half of Ireland as laborers.  I worked on a lot of their projects.

Anybody?

Finnegans and Wimpey ? ( maybe not Sheffield based firms tho'.)

On 12/12/2018 at 9:13 PM, trastrick said:

Anybody?

Percy Hassall.

Hassall Homes or Hassall's Castles.

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Percy Hassall.

Hassall Homes or Hassall's Castles.

Wimpey's built a load of estates on Sheffields outskirts , Parkins of Rotherham built a massive estate at Bradway, the biggest of the lot at that time was the PWD,  ran by our own City council ,this firm saved us millions in contract fees and were a brilliant idea that for some reason we lost to private enterprise.

They built Parkhill. Kelvin, Hyde Park, Brook Hill , parts of Greenhill and Gleadless Valley , The Sheaf Valley baths and many more sites throughout the City .

I worked on all those plus for the Contractors named else where . We could pick and choose our site and would move across the road for an extra tanner or bob an hour .

Hassalls where the worst payers of all and due to the money they gave to build a pair of houses the gangs just threw them up not caring about quality or cutting corners , I walk past Hassalls Castles now and wonder how they manage to still look O.K after 50 years or so a tribute really to the gangs that were ripped of by the lump prices given around 1965 ..

Edited by Albert smith

Wimpey's built the Pye Bank estate 1960-62 ish, I suppose the council had to sub that one out as PWD had so much going.

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Wimpey's built the Pye Bank estate 1960-62 ish, I suppose the council had to sub that one out as PWD had so much going.

PWD  was building Park Hill then followed by Hyde Park ,I worked on both . 

1 hour ago, Albert smith said:

PWD  was building Park Hill then followed by Hyde Park ,I worked on both . 

Did the PWD build Norfolk Park especially the tower blocks ? I think Vic Halom had something to do with the houses and they were-I believe- a Nottingham firm.

3 hours ago, Albert smith said:

Wimpey's built a load of estates on Sheffields outskirts , Parkins of Rotherham built a massive estate at Bradway, the biggest of the lot at that time was the PWD,  ran by our own City council ,this firm saved us millions in contract fees and were a brilliant idea that for some reason we lost to private enterprise.

They built Parkhill. Kelvin, Hyde Park, Brook Hill , parts of Greenhill and Gleadless Valley , The Sheaf Valley baths and many more sites throughout the City .

I worked on all those plus for the Contractors named else where . We could pick and choose our site and would move across the road for an extra tanner or bob an hour .

Hassalls where the worst payers of all and due to the money they gave to build a pair of houses the gangs just threw them up not caring about quality or cutting corners , I walk past Hassalls Castles now and wonder how they manage to still look O.K after 50 years or so a tribute really to the gangs that were ripped of by the lump prices given around 1965 ..

12 hours ago, St Petre said:

Did the PWD build Norfolk Park especially the tower blocks ? I think Vic Halom had something to do with the houses and they were-I believe- a Nottingham firm.

Most of the Tower blocks on Norfolk Park were built by Gleesons ,Worked on a couple ,got the sack one Friday and started again the following Monday , I worked for Gleesons at seven different times ,never for very long .

The Tower blocks that are still standing at Brookhill  (miracle that int it) were built by thePWD. My pal Gilbert Hartley was the site agent ,A smashing gaffer was big G.

Edited by Albert smith

Hello, I worked for George Longdens from 1969 to the company entering receivership in 1980, I started with the company on Barnsley DG Hospital then to, I was then transferred by the contracts manager David Tuke to the radio Hallam site on Campo Lane, I worked on this project from start to finish fitting out the recording studios and office areas etc. The site manager Neil Thorley had a dog called Mutley who was very good with a football! He was taken to Bramhall Lane adorned with a shirt and photographed by a Sheffield newspaper photographer he appeared in the Star and became the stations mascot.

From there I was transferred to Sheffield newspapers next door to install the new machine bases for the Goss presses, On completion of the bases I was given the job of converting the Longdens offices garages in St Peters Close to further offices, then I was sent to Barclays Bank on Fargate ( now a coffee shop ) to carry out a complete refurb from there to Castleford telephone exchange and then on to York police station, the company at this stage was in administration  and then entered receivership. I was retained to carry out all the retention works and was finally made redundant back on Barnsley hospital years later, I am sure I was the last employee of Longdens being given my redundancy pay etc.  by the receiver a M r B Wolf of Wolf associates.

Names I remember, Mr Ken Shaw MD, Roy Hibberd site manager, David Gausden joiner, Ian Mathews bricklayer and Earnest ? the BIG Lotty driver, wonderful company to work for happy, happy days.