George Longden, Builders

I am trying to obtain information about "Longdens of Sheffield" who were responsible for many of Sheffield`s large building projectsCathedral ,university ,Hillsborough Cantilever Stand etc.

Last known at Penistone as a house builder based at Cubley Hall, finally swallowed up by Wimpy Homes I believe, probably in the late 80's.

My grandfather John was the MD for a while, maybe i could help?

I still have the occasional contact with Hamish longden.

I lived next door to a Stewart and Thelman Longdon but they were a poor family, doubt if they owned anything.

They might have had a small depot on neepsend lane near the gas works .

Dear Mr Hickman,

I was delighted to receive your message and thank you.

From what you say it seems likely that your grandfather and my father were collegues.

My father was Lawrence Jackson and started work with Longdens when he left school in1916 and retired in the late 60`s .Does this correspond with your grandfather`s time at the firm? I have several photos taken at firm`s functions showing members of staff.

Would it be possible for me to speak to you on the phone?

If so ,please let me know your number.

Mine is 01493 661694 and Email baz.jack@ntlworld. com

I do hope that we will communicate further as it means a great deal to me.

Many thanks ,

Barry Jackson

My Dad was a concreting foreman with Longdens and later on a site agent. I remember mashing tea for the men when I was about fourteen when they were building the flyover at the University. He also worked on the Hallamshire Hospital and various other projects round Sheffield before retiring due to dodgy hip

My Dad was a concreting foreman with Longdens and later on a site agent. I remember mashing tea for the men when I was about fourteen when they were building the flyover at the University. He also worked on the Hallamshire Hospital and various other projects round Sheffield before retiring due to dodgy hip
i worked on the concrete for longdons around 1969 /72 ,we were at the bottom of the moor by the telephone building then across the road on sainsbury's

When I worked for the Midland Bank in the early 1970s (the branch which is now the Banker's Draft pub) we had Longden's accounts. I remember that the firm was very carefully managed, and it had a long history, back to the 1830s/40s I think. Longdens had built the extension to the bank branch in c. 1960. At that time their HQ was in St Peter's Close (off Hartshead but hard to find!)

When I worked for the Midland Bank in the early 1970s (the branch which is now the Banker's Draft pub) we had Longden's accounts. I remember that the firm was very carefully managed, and it had a long history, back to the 1830s/40s I think. Longdens had built the extension to the bank branch in c. 1960. At that time their HQ was in St Peter's Close (off Hartshead but hard to find!)
as i remember it had a large arch way and was opposite st peters close,had to call in once when changing sites,they were working on the cathedral at the time i think so would have been early seventies

as i remember it had a large arch way and was opposite st peters close,had to call in once when changing sites,they were working on the cathedral at the time i think so would have been early seventies

That's right - it's a red brick building featuring an archway at the main entrance, on the bottom side of St Peter's Close. I think the building had a complete "makeover" and now houses modern offices. I don't recall Longdens being there after about 1980 - could be mistaken.