Water falls near sheffield?

I'll come on this trip!!

I would like to suggest that those who would share a cycle should be invited also.Those who'd like to climb up to see the waterfalls ( I'll give a grid Ref soon) could do that whilst the others are on the trail.

Eight miles along the trail, Four out and Four back would be enough at this time of the year.

Would you pick a nice warm, clear sunny day please?

Thanks for the suggestions Albert, but the walk will probably be a circular one from Crowden, which takes in part of the Longdendale Trail.

Also and I'm afraid taking cycles will be a no-no, as far as I'm aware, none of us possess them!

Regarding choosing a "nice warm, clear sunny day", I'm afraid we're in the laps of the Gods there, cos as you know our walks are planned at least a week in advance, making it impossible to choose the weather

...my OH and I discussed trying to find some water falls near sheffield to take a walk around, any suggestions?

There's the Kinder Downfall - it's on the Pennine Way and can be reached from a variety of directions. It's impressive when there's enough water, and especially so when the wind is strong enough to blow the water back over the fall again!

You can get to it by taking the Pennine Way from Edale and going via Jacob's Ladder, or you can park near the Snake Inn, and take the path up Fairbrook. When you get to the top you will need to take a compass bearing and then it's a 15 minute walk to meet Kinder Gates (impressive big stones on the river). You then follow the river to the downfall.

It's all on OS1 - Dark Peak map.

There's the Kinder Downfall - it's on the Pennine Way and can be reached from a variety of directions. It's impressive when there's enough water, and especially so when the wind is strong enough to blow the water back over the fall again!

You can get to it by taking the Pennine Way from Edale and going via Jacob's Ladder, or you can park near the Snake Inn, and take the path up Fairbrook. When you get to the top you will need to take a compass bearing and then it's a 15 minute walk to meet Kinder Gates (impressive big stones on the river). You then follow the river to the downfall.

It's all on OS1 - Dark Peak map.

I would think that really is the best water fall to visit especially if the visitor is not fully equipped. On the other side of Kinder it can be very nasty if the weather changes as it does rapidly at this time of the year.

But to see the downfall in its full glory. It is best to wait and go after it as rained hard for a week or so.

What the footpaths are like these days up their, these days, makes me quiver. In my day they were like grassed sheep tracks. Twenty yards over the top and onto Kinder and you could easily loose your way.

It is not many years ago since a lad got lost and died at Fairbrook Naz.

The path from Edale, up Jacob's ladder and along the edge to Kinder Downfall is a very well worn path now. Consider the thousands of Pennine Way walkers that tramp that very same path every year.

I agree the walk over the top from Fairbrook is only recommended for those with basic compass skills, but providing you have a map, and know how to read it, you will not go far wrong.

The path from Edale, up Jacob's ladder and along the edge to Kinder Downfall is a very well worn path now. Consider the thousands of Pennine Way walkers that tramp that very same path every year.

I agree the walk over the top from Fairbrook is only recommended for those with basic compass skills, but providing you have a map, and know how to read it, you will not go far wrong.

I've got a photograph of myself walking up Jacb's ladder.

i'LL fish it out, Scan it and put a link to it so the path can be compared with today.

A few years ago. If you went over to the Snake, Old Mr Townsend would be awaiting you but with out Coffee and Biscuits. Only Fist as thick as your thigh!!

after returning from the lake district today and visiting the Beautiful Aria force near Glenridding, see link

http://www.ukattraction.com/cumbria+lake-district/aira-force.htm

my OH and I discussed trying to find some water falls near sheffield to take a walk around, any suggestions?

Having seen it today, I can add a small waterfall on the River Lathkill at Lathkilldale on to the list!

Bikertec, I noticed you recommended Swallow Hole waterfall. Could you post directions from Eyam please?

Hi Sweetie

Its best to go after its been raining quite a bit. Its a bit dificult to find head out of eyam towards foolow, theres a working factory on the right I think its mine workings. Further up on the right is a clump of trees and a farm house on the left. The water fall is in that clump of trees in a large depression in the ground. About a mile out off Eyam on the right.

Mick.