Water falls near sheffield?

Not exactly a waterfall, but Wyming Brook has pretty fast flowing water going downhill, and is very pretty.

Theres a small one, up past Langsett reservoir.

When you say "up past Langsett reservoir", where exactly do you mean?

Swallow hole just outside Eyam, atleast 30foot high. Went today fantastic with all this rain.:thumbsup:

When you say "up past Langsett reservoir", where exactly do you mean?

If you follow the path that runs beside the reservoir, you come to a bridge where the path forks left and right. If you take the left path, it leads (I think) back down the reservoir towards Stocksbridge. If you take the right hand path you come to a clearing where the reservoir 'feed' is and the path continues up beside the stream.

The waterfall I'm thinking of is on your left hand side as you follwo the path.

If you follow the path that runs beside the reservoir, you come to a bridge where the path forks left and right. If you take the left path, it leads (I think) back down the reservoir towards Stocksbridge. If you take the right hand path you come to a clearing where the reservoir 'feed' is and the path continues up beside the stream.

The waterfall I'm thinking of is on your left hand side as you follwo the path.

Cheers for the info. I know the bridge you mean, and you're right, if you turn left and go up the hill it does lead back to the reservoir, providing you take a couple of left turns. Incidentally, by going this way back to the reservoir you pass some derelict buildings called North America, called this because during the war they were shelled by American troops out on manouevres. Quite eerie when you get there cos you can see the shell holes in the buildings!

Going back to the waterfall, I've never gone to the right at the bridge, which is why I've never seen it.On the occasions I've been to Langsett, I've always done a circular walk of the dam, which with a total distance of 4 miles, isn't quite far enough for me. I'm tempted now to try and find the waterfall, and add the distance on to the 4 miles round the dam to make the walk a bit longer.

Keep your eyes open for a thread appearing shortly for a Langsett Dam walk + waterfall visit, and credit yourself for giving me the inspiration!

after returning from the lake district today and visiting the Beautiful Aria force near Glenridding, see link

http://www.ukattraction.com/cumbria+lake-district/aira-force.htm

my OH and I discussed trying to find some water falls near sheffield to take a walk around, any suggestions?

You need to walk along the,' Longdendale Trail '.

Taking short detours from the trail occasionally.

Do not wander far because the moorlands at this time of the year, can be very dangerous.

You can down-load the trail Information off the web.

Map OS 277. I'll lend it to you if you are hard up.

You would be better going late next spring or early summer.

Ironically, we're arranging a walk along the Longdendale Trail for a few weeks time. We're just waiting for some people to return from holidays/commitments before we go ahead with it.

Cheers for the info. I know the bridge you mean, and you're right, if you turn left and go up the hill it does lead back to the reservoir, providing you take a couple of left turns. Incidentally, by going this way back to the reservoir you pass some derelict buildings called North America, called this because during the war they were shelled by American troops out on manouevres. Quite eerie when you get there cos you can see the shell holes in the buildings!

Going back to the waterfall, I've never gone to the right at the bridge, which is why I've never seen it.On the occasions I've been to Langsett, I've always done a circular walk of the dam, which with a total distance of 4 miles, isn't quite far enough for me. I'm tempted now to try and find the waterfall, and add the distance on to the 4 miles round the dam to make the walk a bit longer.

Keep your eyes open for a thread appearing shortly for a Langsett Dam walk + waterfall visit, and credit yourself for giving me the inspiration!

Glad to be of service:thumbsup:

I'm sure with the wet weather we've had, the waterfall should be in full flow. I'm intrigued by the buildings you mentioned - I've never ventured down that path, so I may have to have a wonder up there:)

If I remember correctly the buildings you mention were called North America hundreds of years before WW2. It was fashionable then to call remote outsteads and farms romantic names like that to relate to far flung countrys and places. After they were abondoned the British used them to train at house to house fighting and the marks are just bullet holes, the shelling was done further up near an existing shooting lodge where huge targets were set up. There is still lots of ordenance up there, some still live so be carefull!

Ironically, we're arranging a walk along the Longdendale Trail for a few weeks time. We're just waiting for some people to return from holidays/commitments before we go ahead with it.

I'll come on this trip!!

I would like to suggest that those who would share a cycle should be invited also.

Whilst some walk two miles along the trail the ones who are cycling could go in front for a couple of mile further then return to those who are walking to exchange places. Etc.

Those who'd like to climb up to see the waterfalls ( I'll give a grid Ref soon) could do that whilst the others are on the trail.

Eight miles along the trail, Four out and Four back would be enough at this time of the year. It would also afford extra time for those up on the hillside to get down in time

I've got a spare ladies cycle, two if my wife doesn't want to peddle.

Would you pick a nice warm, clear sunny day please?