What is Sheffield missing??

I agree that we need a well co-ordinated tourist industry to attract people in. Made in Sheffield is a world brand but there is nowhere you can go and actually see anything being made here. All we have are static displays scattered all over the place. What we need is a living museum of steel close to the city centre. Let's have exhibits of steel making, little mesters and all the allied trades being practised. To back that up we should have Sheffield Castle visitors centre with a history of Sheffield. Then we need a vibrant city centre with better outdoor spaces and opportunities for people to sell the stuff they have made in Sheffield instead of the stuff made in China.

Let's face it, with the talent at the Town Hall all we'll get is more begging bowl economics and shopping areas for people who haven't got any money.

I agree that we need a well co-ordinated tourist industry to attract people in. Made in Sheffield is a world brand but there is nowhere you can go and actually see anything being made here. All we have are static displays scattered all over the place. What we need is a living museum of steel close to the city centre. Let's have exhibits of steel making, little mesters and all the allied trades being practised. To back that up we should have Sheffield Castle visitors centre with a history of Sheffield. Then we need a vibrant city centre with better outdoor spaces and opportunities for people to sell the stuff they have made in Sheffield instead of the stuff made in China.

Let's face it, with the talent at the Town Hall all we'll get is more begging bowl economics and shopping areas for people who haven't got any money.

I agree with the above - plus we need

shops that stay open after 6pm

shops unique to Sheffield - no more "chain stores"

a proper traditional outdoor market (could be tied in with the castle ruins?)

We also need more making of the other histories of Sheffield, i.e the medieval (castle), the Old Jewish Quarter (off High Street) and all the other lovely old buildings from around 1800's that are at the back of the Cathedral (the name of the road has escaped me for now!)

The Old Court House (ex town hall) near the markets needs revamping and making into a museum

... anymore - I'll let you know!

Sheffield needs a life and identity of its own - we don't want another carbon copy Leeds thank you!

But women who attract men's looks might keep those selfsame men (or even be kept by them)...

I am of the impression that being a kept man or woman is an antediluvian concept. Even Marilyn Monroe said, your looks only got you somewhere for the first five minutes.

Edited by poppet2

People seem to have missed the obvious answer …………. Jobs ………………. If people had spending power all the rest would fall into place, until then it looks like the flagship stores, cafes a clubs will give Sheffield a miss.

People seem to have missed the obvious answer …………. Jobs ………………. If people had spending power all the rest would fall into place, until then it looks like the flagship stores, cafes a clubs will give Sheffield a miss.

This isn't going to happen with the strong Labour presence in Sheffield.

Locally and nationally Labour are not the real friend of the working man; far too much red tape and other hurdles from Labour prevent jobs being created in this country.

Labour stifle the entrepreneurial spirit, because they want us all to work for the state you see.

Labour stifle the entrepreneurial spirit, because they want us all to work for the state you see.

Do those on benefits “work” for the state; they might as well hadn’t they.

Employee reward and benefits news

UK unemployment numbers reach 2.51m

The number of unemployed people in the UK rose again in the three months to the end of July, to reach a figure of 2.51 million.

Data from the Office for National Statistics reveals that there has been a net increase of 80,000 in the jobless total, leaving the national unemployment rate at 7.9 per cent.

Closer analysis of the figures shows that the nation’s youth were hit particularly hard in this period, with 78,000 more young people now without work.

Furthermore, the number of Jobseeker's Allowance claimants rose by 20,300 in August, with the total now standing at 1.58 million people.

Reacting to the data, employment minister Chris Grayling said: "Clearly this is a very unwelcome set of figures. Any increase in unemployment is something we really don't want to see happen."

Prime minister David Cameron admitted that the figures were "disappointing", but said that the government will do everything it can to help people get back into work.

However, Dr John Philpott, Chief Economic Adviser at the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, said that a further fall in the employment rate must cast serious doubt on the government's jobs forecast.

He explained: "It's clear from the large quarterly fall in employment and very sharp rise in headline unemployment that the UK jobs market is weakening significantly and that we can expect unemployment to continue to rise well into next year.

"What's most worrying is that the private sector jobs recovery has slowed markedly while the public sector jobs cull is accelerating rapidly."

At the moment.....ME.....I am away from Sheffield right now :P

The city centre needs cleaning/modernising up. Its deffinately not living in todays age, it feels grotty and dirty. In sheffield as a whole the roads need sorting out.

1) An international airport

2) Political leadership

3) River banks (i.e. features made of its rivers, rather than being hidden away).

4) County cricket ground

5) Affordable car parking in the city centre

6) New buildings that are actually designed by architects, not from the prefab cladded catalogue

7) Its castle uncovered again and made into a tourist attraction

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

Sheffield needs a good museum.

Sheffield HAD a great museum till some clown council decided to turn it into a childrens nursery. No doubt many of the more rare and expensive exhibits were sold off or ripped off and now grace some elegant (if tasteless) councillors' mantle. Either way the outcome once again, was - Sheffield People - 0. Sheffield Council - 10.

Please don't bother telling me that it's all in storage..

manchester and liverpool have problems with unemployment yet they seem to be regenerating, instead of demolishing they have rebuilt , warehouses still stand now turned into hotels , businesses etc they have a heart and sheffield has lost theirs, yet i love sheffield but if anyone goes to the above two i think you know what i mean.

can they get it back i dont know maybe time will tell !!!!!!!!