Nursery queries and recommendations

I very much remember my bestmate went to collect her 2 girls from the CM one Friday to be informed that she couldn't look after them for the next few weeks cos' she was off to the USA on hols. My mate had to take unpaid leave from work which was huge cost that she could ill afford and nearly lost her job over it. Lots of stress for her.

I know this is a rare case but it made me think that CM's have holidays so do I have to match mine to theirs? They are ill so I'd have to take time off work...etc..

Saying that I know some great childminders... It's like everything in life, you need to do your research very well...

I very much remember my bestmate went to collect her 2 girls from the CM one Friday to be informed that she couldn't look after them for the next few weeks cos' she was off to the USA on hols. My mate had to take unpaid leave from work which was huge cost that she could ill afford and nearly lost her job over it. Lots of stress for her.

I know this is a rare case but it made me think that CM's have holidays so do I have to match mine to theirs? They are ill so I'd have to take time off work...etc..

Saying that I know some great childminders... It's like everything in life, you need to do your research very well...

this can happen with nurseries aswell, i went to my nursery one friday to be told that they were shutting at 6pm that day for good!!! they had known about it since the monday but chose not to tell anyone.

Mini is onto her 4th nursery. 1st was in sheffield was not bad but she broke her leg and they did not notice! we left cause i was moving back to Glasgow but would have probably moved her anyway if i was not moving.

2nd was the one that shut down

3rd was awful very dirty staff were scrubbers and mini was alway always ill.. she had a convulsion at nursery and they done nothing but strip her, no doctor or anything. next time she had temp they stripped her to cool her when i got there she was blue!

4th nursery is fab, staff are great they cook meals and generally really happy with it. putting Nathan into this one when i am going back to work :)

so although you hear horror stories about chilminders some nurseries are worse. I know a childminder in sheffield and she bends over backwards to help the parents even at very short notice.

oww Savbaby shame you can't "name and shame them"....what area of Sheffield were they in?? (then people could PM you for names if they could be using them??

as far as cost goes the one i looked at today for mon-fri 8-6 was £168/week - looks like i can get about £50 woking tax credit towards this.

Babywiggle will be 8months if that helps.

My little one has just started nursery after a really bad incident with CM. I pay £78 for 3 days which is quite cheap however I have to provide all food except breakfast and all nappies and wipes. Most nurseries we looked at did seem to include these but the cheaper daily rate means it's not too big a deal.

Nursery is in an old school, nice atmosphere, only time will tell if it works out!

I used a CM from Feb up until last week, when she had an almighty paddy because payment was late.

I can't knock her as a CM but when she is saying to me at 8am in the morning ' I don't mean to sound cold but I don't care what's going on with your finances'. Then I question the motivation especially as she had also been hostile towards my partner as he dropped our daughter off 5 mins earlier.

Strange that when we've been in credit we've had to wait weeks for her to pay us back!!!

I pay using vouchers and due to both my partner and I changing jobs voucher was stuck in the system and arrived 4 days late, by that time bridges had already been burnt on both sides.

The worst thing i feel is that I had completed a questionaire for her upcoming ofsted inspection praising her quality of care, I now want to retract it as any CM who gives a child's place away with no notice can't be too concerned about the welfare of the child.

Sad thing is she will not give it back and there's nothing ofsted can do either!!

At least with a nursery it's a more professional relationship and they are more likely to work with you if there are any problems.

that a bit bad im a childminder and im very flexible sometime parent are late which cant b help my parents also phone me if later and sometime comes early but do me that doesnt matter better a little early than later hope your little one enjoys nursery

Thanks everyone. It sounds like both nursery and CM have good and bad sides-yes, it is a matter of luck, too. CM at first appeared to be more flexible. I had to pay for the nursery fee even my baby is ill and absent (even she gets bug from the nursery!)-can't bear 34 pounds fly away each day for nothing! They also call me at work whenever they have problems (looks to me that they do not know how to resolve the issue)-they do not understand that I have got a work and this is the reason why I am putting her into the nursery. I can't bear they are ringing my office every minute.

But I understand that these could be the same for the CM.

Yes please PM to me if you know any good nursery/CM.

let us know wht area . may be able to reccomend a few nice nursery. dont forget nurserys have waiting lists

They also call me at work whenever they have problems (looks to me that they do not know how to resolve the issue)-they do not understand that I have got a work and this is the reason why I am putting her into the nursery. I can't bear they are ringing my office every minute.

But I understand that these could be the same for the CM.

Yes please PM to me if you know any good nursery/CM.

Hmmmm - you might find that you are phoning them to see if little one is having a good time:). I phone every day to ask how my ES is doing. I have only ever been contacted if ES has been ill or an accident and in both cases I'd want them phoning me.

does anyone know if children have to be dry to attend rivelin nursery? Im stressing unnecessarily as my little girl has just turned 2, but refuses to use potty. Ive got a year left yet but just wondering what their policy was. Thanks.

I don't know about their particular policy, but I would suggest it is unlikely that they expect 2 year olds to be dry. 3 year olds may be, but 2 is not the norm, in my experience. Solve your query with a quick phone call to the nursery perhaps.

Most school nurseries will expect the children to be mainly trained unless there is a medical reason not to be (they will also expect the odd accident too at that age) - Im pretty sure Rivelin are like that. She is only 2 so I wouldn't stress about it too much yet:)

Really have to reply to a message I`ve just read bout Chantrey House Nursery. This is really unfair, my twins went to this nursery a three years ago from being 3 months old, the staff are fantastic, it really is warm and welcoming. The nursery is always being updated and decorated. In fact I`ve just had another baby and wouldnt consider going anywhere else. This is coming from someone who goes there, not who knows a friend of a friend etc etc