Nursery queries and recommendations

Went to havenfield, PARK and Toybox recently as my little one coming up to 2 and ready for private daycare-

havenfield is the one in middle of nowhere nr worrall-looks stunning as u drive up but wasnt overly impressed with the "feel" of the place-heard they are moving to loxley so may check that out in sept/oct

PARK-seemed too busy and all on stairs, but staff seemed nice

Toybox-very friendly and homely, nice set up-pain in the bum to find and nr dodgy upperthorpe but a nice big house and pleasant staff. think ill send hubby to check it out and put it on our list of maybes!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. We visited lots of nurseries, some of which have been mentioned here, and finally decided on Hamilton House on Montgomery Road. Our quest was fairly exhaustive and some of the reasons we decided against others (one of two have been mentioned here, but not by anybody involved in their administration/staff):

Over pushy management with very specific personal ethos.

In one case, we stood talking to the manager/staff for about ten minutes whilst a 9-month old was kicking out and trying to get out of his cot. They didn't bat an eyelid at his apparent distress until it was clear we were uncomfortable with it, at which point they responded 'I suppose we'd better get him out now'.

A couple seemed to be generally on the decline - unpainted fences, empty rabbit cages and fish tanks ('they died last year'), photos and pictures on the walls from a few years ago and not more recent.

There were a couple which seemed very good but were quite cramped, with small baby rooms and little outdoor space.

Another which seemed good had very young staff indeed, those apparently responsible for running it whilst we were there seemed little over 18-19, whereby other nurseries had a mix of ages.

The reason why we went for Hamilton House was that the children and staff seemed genuinely happy, interested and excited. The facilities seem excellent. Reports are very good indeed. A lot of time, money, imagination and thought has been put into developing the facilities. In short, it seems like a nursery 'on the up'.

Red (surrounded by Daddy's Day presents and a very special card!)

Are we on your list of maybes? :)
He goes to you already and LWs is by far the best baby room ever(and ive been to lots and lots and lots) ill also be sending this bump there when hes old enough!! FAB staff in that room-highly recommended!:D

Are we on your list of maybes? :)

Sorry Fox, should have said - we live in Sharrow and work in Chesterfield and out eastwards, hence why we didn't consider Middlewood, despite recommendations aplenty!

Now taking bookings for the next academic year, starting in September.

I know a lot of people whose children go to the Steiner kindergarten at the Merlin Theatre site, they all seem very happy there.

I also know people who have been very happy with Broomhall nursery.

What a lovely recommendation hennypenny! Thank you.

Have we had the conversation before about who we mutually know?

UPDATE: The Merlin Kindergarten is now offering afternoon care up to 3.30pm from September for children who attend a morning session.

What a lovely recommendation hennypenny! Thank you.

Have we had the conversation before about who we mutually know.

I think we have had the conversation before :)

I am slightly out of date now as mine are well past that age, but I have known lots of home educating families who have had kids at the Kindergarten over the years, and kids we have childminded have been there too.

I think we have had the conversation before :)

I am slightly out of date now as mine are well past that age, but I have known lots of home educating families who have had kids at the Kindergarten over the years, and kids we have childminded have been there too.

Ahh yes, it's all coming back to me. I've slept since then....;)

The Hallam University one at collegiate is as good as any of the mainstream ones.

i'll second that one, SIB is very happy there.. even if it is an absolute nightmare getting there sometimes

Just want to say I send my DS to Kidz@work on the Sheffield Airport Business Park and he loves it there. Great facilities, friendly staff and DS is very happy which is the main thing. They also have a webcam if you want to check on your child during the day. Website is http://www.kidzatwork.co.uk. Hope this helps someone.

Aqua

x

Hi All,

I'm a new dad & the nipper is almost 6mths old!

Just startng to think about childcare as his mum is going to return to work part time in January.

I have read all the various views on here regarding different service providers.

However not much has been mentioned about costs.

Do childcare providers generally charge by the Day or by the Hour?

& any ideas of what an average cost per day or hour might be?

any help much appreciated!