Leasehold questions

I'm buying a house and these things have come up with the leasehold - I'm waiting for a response from my solictor but if you have advice it will be much appreciated!

The vendors have been paying ground rent for a neighbouring property as well as their own. This seems a bit unusual. Why would they do this and should I make it a condition of the sale that I only pay ground rent for my own property? It only a few quid a year, but I'm a bit supicious:suspect:

The leaseholders have asked that I take out buildings insurance with a certain company. Apparently because they want to make sure it is with a reputable insurer. Again this seems a bit strange:suspect:

It's not uncommon. We have had it in the past and you just need to collect the cash from next door.

Not uncommon at all, it is cheaper to get block insurance, which is probably whats happened in this case, so long as there is a written agreement with the neighbour (On his deeds) its no problem, as is using a specified insurance company.

there's a huge great long thread on leasehold started by Foxx (not sure how many xxes though)

in there you'll find that it isn't unusual for one property in a block to be responsible for the collection and payment of all the groundrents for the neighbours

the insurance is one to look into further - I'm pretty sure that bit is some sort of scam, and if the landlord is pulling that stunt there are others you should be very aware of too

Wht's the name of the landlord btw? is it one of the renowned scam merchants?

You could possibly ring the advice service LEASE or look on their website for more information, I think their advice line is open tomorrow 9.30-3.30, they are helpful.

Buildings Insurance - it might be as told already possibly a block policy, Im a leaseholder and I have to take out a block policy etc, there are certain requirements that the freeholder must supply regarding the buildings insurance but Im no expert in advising on leasehold other than my personal experiences.

Contact Lease on http://www.lease-advice.org or ring them on 020 7374 5380.

Good luck!

there's a huge great long thread on leasehold started by Foxx (not sure how many xxes though)

in there you'll find that it isn't unusual for one property in a block to be responsible for the collection and payment of all the groundrents for the neighbours

the insurance is one to look into further - I'm pretty sure that bit is some sort of scam, and if the landlord is pulling that stunt there are others you should be very aware of too

Wht's the name of the landlord btw? is it one of the renowned scam merchants?

Thanks. I've read the thread by Foxxx which was helpful. The freehold is owned by Coppen Estates at Hunters Bar.........not Estates and Management fortunately.....or is it??

Thanks. I've read the thread by Foxxx which was helpful. The freehold is owned by Coppen Estates at Hunters Bar.........not Estates and Management fortunately.....or is it??

Oh Dear , . the scam with the insurance is that the landlord get commission from the insurance co so it will be probably alot higher than it should be . they tried it with me same story about a reputable insurance co , so i told them i was with norwich union

if you open up the thread by Foxxx, at the top right there's a button for 'search this thread', and if you put 'Coppen' in there it'll make sure you haven't missed any instances of them being mentioned in there

I can't for the life of me remember who our lease was fairly recently sold to, but we did attend the auction for it, and were interested to see how aggressively some of these leases were pursued by a small handful of companies. As ours was for a peppercorn rent, we could only assume the intention was to scam somebody somewhere along the line, else it just wouldn't be commercially viable as a purchase

I'm also sure Coppen is a name that I've heard before in the context of leases, and I can't think why that would be if it was in a positive light :huh:

Oh Dear , . the scam with the insurance is that the landlord get commission from the insurance co so it will be probably alot higher than it should be . they tried it with me same story about a reputable insurance co , so i told them i was with norwich union

Can they insist that someone takes out insurance with a certain company though? What action can they take if you don't?

My leasehold is owned by Coppen Estates, I have written to them to try to start a dialogue with a view to our purchasing the freehold but they have never responded. I will at some point get my solicitor onto it but have no huge rush at the moment.

Yep it looks like this is the case. They require me use their "approved" insurer or pay £30 if I use a different company. What a load of ********!!!! :rant: I'm going to look into buying the freehold as soon as I can!

Coppen Estates owned the lease on a house I owned in Hillsborough a couple of years back. They are very difficult to get hold of.

I recall a similar charge for Buildings Insurance but I just didn't pay it and then moved on.

I'd question the charge and demand a breakdown of what the charge actually covers (administration??). If that's the case then you may have a good case for disputing the charge as being unreasonable..similar to bank charges