Your Preferred Charities

Nekro - you don't have to donate to the big charities

if you donate to the smaller ones then you're not lining people's pockets - usually those who run small rescues are WELL out of pocket themselves!

That's true and I do help out the smaller charities when I can, but from what I've found, even smaller charities have people who line their own pockets at some level.

I have recently helped a local animal sanctuary not with money but by baking shedloads of buns and cakes for them to sell.

I'd much rather do that.

i support norfolk park special school for personal reasons and also SCOPE for people with cerebral palsy

I give money each month to the Hospice that has cared for members of my family in their last days.

What charities do people give to and why? also, which ones do people avoid? helpful posts only please.

Oxfam and Amnesty - both do immense amounts of good work to protect and support the most vulnerable and helpless people of the world.

On direct debit there's Unicef and Plan.

In the street I'll give to recognised cancer charities, and I always give to St Luke's as they are beyond fabulous when you need them.

However, something we always forget is that you can be charitable without it costing a thing. There are lots of elderly people who need little things doing for them and even just a friendly face and a visit means more to them than hundreds of pounds.

However, something we always forget is that you can be charitable without it costing a thing.

I currently have two dog crates out on loan to different people who were in urgent need - one of whom was on a do-gooding mission herself... and as I type this I have a Rottweiler who currently needs round the clock attention after an op she's just had sleeping fitfully next to me. I'd met her owner only once before, but there aren't many people willing to dogsit a poorly Rott when it's needed. She's only here overnight, whilst her owner gets some well needed sleep

I've also looked after a terrier who's owner was having a bit of a crisis - she'd have lost him to another home if I hadn't been able to step in

All too often people are interested in what they can take these days, but if we all gave a little to each other, the world would be a much nicer place :)

I support & fundraise for Sands Stillbirthg & Neo Natal Death Society & Jessops special care baby unit in the memories of my Twin boys Kieran & Joel.