Your Preferred Charities

We give a percentage of our takings back to local animal charities (mainly independant rescues).

I dont give to the larger charities that advertise on TV or who mailshot you including a pen etc and raffle tickets. I would rather my money go direct to helping the people it's meant for rather than chunks of it paying large advertising costs and postage.

encephalitis society

cancer research

arthritis research

diabetes research

CEREBRA

Local ones like the childrens hospital

I don't have DD's set up for any, but I do often go along to charity events, or charity shops, or various other ways of giving money to them.

National Autistic Society

Alzheimers Society

are the two that I've mainly donated to in the past year. I've also given money to Cancer Research indirectly, when someone did a sponsored run for them.

Ultimately, most people will find charities that have connections to them personally, I would imagine.

Sheffield childrens hospital charity is mine as i did volluntary work there for 10yrs and if it wasnt for the doctors and nurses there I wouldnt be where i am now which is why I tryed giving a bit back.

our credit card pays dontations to the blue cross animal charity, and I'm a volunteer for Rain Rescue - a local animal charity who concentrate on rescuing dogs from council pounds when they are out of their seven day retention period and at risk of being put to sleep, but we also help out other charities locally when they are in need. Rain Rescue does not pay staff to do jobs, so you know anything donated is going straight to the dogs (if that doesn't sound all wrong!)

I will usually be happy to give a quid to a genuine big issue seller

My last two cash donations were to the Cathedral Breakfast Project, and to the disability charity I am a trustee of. This was the other day.

I also supported the BHF (British Heart Foundation) and Cancer research shops in the last week by purchasing some goods from them.

I give to SCOPE, Amnesty, Oxfam, War on Want, Medecins Sans Frontieres and Liberty.

Kofi Annan sums up the reasons for picking these:

"The right to development is the measure of the respect of all other human rights.That should be our aim: a situation in which all individuals are enabled to maximize their potential, and to contribute to the evolution of society as a whole. "

Shelter (monthly), due to having limited funds and I wanted to stick to a charity for the UK primarily. I have raised money for cancer research and Oxfam too.

Once I have stopped studying, I will be donating to some more specific charities.

Giving money to charities is difficult for me. I sometimes buy the Mail on Sunday and if you look at the 'Appointments' section you'll see why.

I think in this weeks there was a job going at Barnardoes with a wage of 100k a year.

So here I am struggling to get by myself, donating what I can, only to line the pockets of the charlatan that gets this job.

Not happening.

Nekro - you don't have to donate to the big charities

if you donate to the smaller ones then you're not lining people's pockets - usually those who run small rescues are WELL out of pocket themselves!

I would consider charities that are UK-specific, but will not give a penny to the do-gooding charities which go overseas and upset the balance of nature by feeding mouths which will go on to reproduce in uncontrolled numbers, making the situation worse in future.

holy **** i hope you're not serious.

Also i give to Oxfam, Unicef, NSPCC and RSPCA.

I give to animal charities mainly and I try to avoid charities which test on animals.

No comments please, I dont feel like an arguement, ta x