Can you claim compensation if you have a bicycle crash on a tram track?

Hi

Has anyone out there ever had an accident on the tram lines whilst cycling

I know of someone who recently got his bike wheel trapped in the tram lines and unfortunately ended up falling off

He broke his arm and now needs surgery to ensure it mends correctly

My question is - if you have had an accident on or as a result of the tram lines and if you have or know of anyone who has made a claim for personal injury

Thanks

My sister's ex-fiancé died in an accient on the Supertram tracks, some years ago.

He wasn't wearing his cycle helmet, (which IMO was a major contributor to the fatal injuries) and when he came off the ccle, he hit his head rather badly, and died of the injuries.

IMO, the tram tracks are fine so long as you remember to avoid going "along" the track where you can get your wheels caught in the track. (they can also be very "skiddy" in wet or snowy weather)

If you go across the track "squarely" then you don't risk getting your wheels caught.

Unfortunately, since trams were taken out of service, generally, forty-odd years ago, cycling, safely, around tram tracks has become a bit of a dying art.

You can't always cross them square, particularly if you are going through a tram stop and need to move from the left of the tracks to the centre (to stop drivers trying to squeeze by you).

I find that a bit of a hop on the front wheel avoids any skidding problem.

I think a personal injury claim is unlikely to succeed as there is no negligence on the part of the council, it's just a part of riding a bike, like riding in cold conditions and finding it icy.

What was at fault;

The cyclist, or the tram tracks that have been laid down now for over 15 years?

I think we all know the answer, but don't allow common sense to get in the way of yet another ambulence chasing style insurance claim, that we all end up paying for through higher premiums.

Beats actually having to work for a living doesn't it?

What was at fault;

The cyclist, or the tram tracks that have been laid down now for over 15 years?

I think we all know the answer, but don't allow common sense to get in the way of yet another ambulence chasing style insurance claim, that we all end up paying for through higher premiums.

Beats actually having to work for a living doesn't it?

beat me to it :thumbsup:

Hi

I know of someone who recently got his bike wheel trapped in the tram lines and unfortunately ended up falling off

My question is - if you have had an accident on or as a result of the tram lines and if you have or know of anyone who has made a claim for personal injury

Thanks

No more than you can sue the owner of a wall which you ride into

Have you thought about sueing the manufacturers of the bike, for not pre-fitting an anti-supertram track idiot proof steering assistance system?

Might be worth a look at. You just never know.

You are getting a bit mean, its human nature to want to blame someone. Or put it another way, the males in my house are never to blame for anything are they?

I do admire the way proficient cyclists bunny hop over tram tracks, surely they don't teach this in the cycling proficiency tests (not that you can do them these days to my knowledge)

Tell your friend to stop moaning and thinking of being an ambulance chaser. The tracks have been there a few years now so he must know how to ride when he is near them. Or if he does not buy a bike with stabilisers and ride on the pavement

I find that a bit of a hop on the front wheel avoids any skidding problem.

Most cyclists aren't trials riders and can't 'hop' though. For most of us, attempting that would be more likely to cause an accident than avoid one. I've been mountain biking for 9 years but I haven't the foggiest how to do a bunny hop or even a wheelie.

Hi

Thanks

I would suggest that the cyclist first joins the C.T.C. (Cycling Touring Club) and using their legal advise department, obtains advice.

It would be interesting to read what that advice is on the Forum.

I'm minded to understand that to ensure legal action is not taken against councils any obstructions on highways require to have double cautionary markings around the perimeter. which are double yellow lines

So what is the legal position of the Super-trams tram-lines would be interesting to know.

In my cycling days, we would jump across them by lifting the front wheel, but also in them days, not very many other road users were on the road.