Council waiting list- chances of housing?

Hi

I know someone who is urgently seeking housing (single mum of three under-5's), she is on Income Support and has had her name on the Sheffield Council list for five unbroken years. She has applied to the Council (and Housing Associations) and is awaiting her 'pin' number to start the process.

She is fleeing harassment from neighbours, and can provide supporting letters by police and medical people.

What kind of areas should she expect to be offered, and what time period are we talking about?

Thanks

If she isn't a council tenant she could get help and advice from Housing Aid http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/housing-aid

She may be able to get some priority depending on her situation (this would need investigating) - in which case she wouldn't be waiting as long for housing. Priority and waiting time are considered separately - and 5 years waiting time isn't long for a family sized property, especially as 75% are for people who have priority.

Once she gets her PIN she will be able to bid on vacant properties - and she can get help from housing staff in how to do this. The Property Shop on Union Street, or any local housing office can help. She can bid on any area she likes - all properties will be identified by 'priority' or 'waiting time' and will give an estimate of how long. If she gets priority she would be expected to bid on anything suitable, if she is too selective, then she'd get one offer and if she rejects that, priority may well be withdrawn, leaving her to try and get something on waiting time. Its also worth trying housing associations separately, as they have different lettings criteria. Here's a list of local HAs. http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/housing-aid/looking-for-a-home-or-needing-to-move/housing-association-accommodation

Thanks MsMacbeth

She has indeed applied for HA's and Property Shop too.

She may well get priority, as she was one of many victims of a serious crime (her reason for moving away initially), involving Scotland Yard years ago, and is now getting harassment where she lives (outside of Sheffield). She also has various legitimate medical support to substantiate her valid reasons.

Thanks for your links and advice.

hiya i just been offered a property after 9 year on the waiting list

Edited by nuttycow13

hiya i just been offered a property after 9 year bidding nearly every week, i had a house on woodthorpe ,exchanged to a flat in woodhouse where i had a couple with 2 children and a dog above me now im on top floor in 2 high block, nobody above me its heaven by the way there is 3 of us and i wasnt entitled to a house

Can I just ask how you "bidded" for 9 years?

sheffield property shop website nearly every wednesday night, for the last 2 year but had been waiting and been on the list for last 9 with out any sucess thats why we exchanged to get off woodthorpe.

sheffield property shop website nearly every wednesday night, for the last 2 year but had been waiting and bidding over the last 9 with out any sucess thats why we exchanged to get off woodthorpe.

But the "bidding system" has only been running since Feb '04.

But the "bidding system" has only been running since Feb '04.

sorry yes you are right i meant i had been on the waiting list for the last 9 year and been bidding for about 2/3 year every week :thumbsup:

3 kids under five, she has been busy.