Where is this? Do you know the person

I have an original document from the Sheffield archives that the first owner of the bike was a Mr Lawrence Carr of 140 nidd road,sheffield 9 it was supplied 2 2 1951 But thats not what im looking for I want the place and the name of the chap in the photo he,s the missing link is it really Norman Garratt as someone has suggested? do we have a photo of Norman Garratt? has he lost his hair? al

In 60 there was a Frederick Carr on Clifton Ave sheffield 9

In 39 there was Harold Carr 276 Staniforth Rd Hairdresser

Harry Edmund 38 Shirland Lane

James Edward fish tackle dealer 17 Carlisle St.

Mrs Theresa greengrocer 453 Attercliffe Rd.

I think thats all the Carrs in the east end.

When you say the bike had owners out of Sheffield, where was that, are we barking up the wrong tree.

the first owner of the bike was a Mr Lawrence Carr in sheffield,the bike went to the chap in the photo who took it to pieces it then went to hull area and

was transfered to several people still in pieces and then to castleford still in pieces I bought the bits and the photo came with it being assured that the chap in the photo came from sheffield .

Maybe the best route is to find family of Mr Lawrence Carr and start in that direction.. Any suggestions where should I start.

finding the original house on Nidd Road will possibly prove to be awkward, as most of the roads on that side of Staniforth road, (with the probable exception of Station road) were demolished and redeveloped in the 70s.

Why not have it published in the Sheffield Star Saturday edition:

Fiona Firth, Contact Column, The Star, York Street, Sheffield S1 1PU

E-mail: [email protected]

Someone is bound to recognise him from the picture. I saw my uncle smiling out of this Saturday's edition of this column when he was photographed with his football club Woodhouse WMC from 1950/51 season.

Duffems

This will keep you all occupied while its raining over the weekend and up to Christmas.Where was this photograph taken? note the brickwork on the side of the house.It was taken in the early 60s do you know the person on the bike ? thanks

somewhereinsheffield2.gif

In a thread it says the bike was owned by a person from Nidd Road, Darnall, the houses on Balfour Road have the bays and also have an off shot road to the left as shown, just off main road at darnall. Will take a look at the brickwork next time I am passing to let you know.

thnks beaubon i will await your reply,i also thought the suggestion about the star newspaper was a good idea,is the star still with us? al

Those houses look like the ones just off Derbyshire Lane in the 50s, I painted a few at that time and most were pebbledashed, that area to the left as you head towards Graves Park. The lad in the picture is definitely pre-60s with collar and tie and suit.

Pebble dashed houses with bay windows were a feature of houses on the Manor estate, particularly Ravencarr Road and The Circle (my cousin used to live in one of them). If I had to guess, I'd say the picture was taken on Ravencarr Road, just up from the junction with Harborough Avenue. Unfortunately, these houses don't exist anymore as they were demolished a few years ago during regeneration of the Manor.

Looks like eastern avenue to me...hes possibly parked where the job centre place is now?

Looks like eastern avenue to me...hes possibly parked where the job centre place is now?

no, It can't possibly be Eastern avenue, as there were no "private/ bay-windowed" properties on there, let alone ones with that unusual three-stoned decoration on the corner. also the two junctions nearest where the jobcentre is now don't have those same "angles", anyway. (we have already established quite categorically, that the houses behind the chap in the picture are not council housing, despite the familiar pebbledashing to the walls)

I have sent an email to fiona at the star so will await results thanks duffem

when it stops raining i will have a look at Derbyshire Lane and Ravenscarr road/harborough Ave and report back(do i need a chaparon to these places)?