Nannan Is it a word

I have a friend from Leeds(dont hold it against me) and whenever i talk about my daughters grandma by using the name nannan, he tells me its a name ive made up. Is it or is it him thats wrong

sorry but there's no such word in the english dictionary...there's Nan, Nana and Nanny but no nannan

My mother was always Nannan to my kids, dictionary or not and she died in 79 so it's been around a while......Mother-in-law was Nanny and I hated that but.......that's what she wanted.:hihi:

sorry but there's no such word in the english dictionary...there's Nan, Nana and Nanny but no nannan

however to this fact, my daughter calls my mother nannan and thats how i write it in birthday cards and such like.

I used to say Nannan when I was little, I just use Nan now.

I used to say Nannan when I was little, I just use Nan now.

Nannow....:huh:

:hihi:

It's quite sweet.

I think it's a ghastly word

Its the only word ive ever known for 36 years so i cant go changing now

I wasn't brought up in Sheffield, so the first time I head somebody refer to their grandmother as "nannan" I didn't have a clue what they were talking about! I think my son would be disinherited if he called my mother "nannan", "nan" or "nanny". She hates the word! To be honest I can't call anybody's grandparent by those words either because I think I've picked up a dislike for them from my mum.

Is it just a Sheffield word? I've never heard it used anywhere else.

well im a *nannan* so it definatly is a proper word :D My mam hates nannan she insits on granny or gran, i would disown mine if he called me granny :rant:

im from rotherham so its not just a sheffield word

Maybe it's more of a south yorkshire word then? It's just I'd never heard it before I came here!