Who remembers the Christian Aid Walk?

Do they still have it ?, remember going on the night walk in the late 1970's. Calling at various churchs for refreshments on the way. Think it finished at a church on Ecclesall Road.

I remember doing that when I was at school, it was a 25 mile night hike, you could set off anytime between 7pm and 11pm, the marshals would hold you up if the next section wasn't manned by them so we set off really late.

We came across one marshall in a sleeping bag, fast asleep on the pavement. We gave him a nudge and enquired "Which way mate?" - his middle finger poked briefly out of the top of his bag - straight up apparently! We thought he was rather rude. :hihi:

The year I did it the start was at the church on Ecclesall Road, the finish was definitely the pavilion in Graves Park, the lady who stamped our timecard was amazed, she commented we were one of the last to start and the first to finish.

I did it in 1970 with two school mates, we where all 15 at the time. The start then was at a church hall just off Brocco Bank (the name St Thomas's comes to mind but I'm not sure about that). I remember it being well organised and great fun and what a sense of achievement it gave me. Not sure in this day and age if three underage boys with little worldly experience would be allowed to do it unaccompanied.

I did it in 1989.Start from Stannington church at 11pm and ended back there about 20 miles later for breakfast. It was a humid night in June but no sunrise to mention .I met an old man in Burbage valley who was the Bishop of Botswanaland,about 80 years old.He said he had the biggest parish in the world.I think I raised £40 for a water pump somewhere in Africa.

I acted as a Marshall on three of the walks and arranged sponsorship for a few young woman who were allowed out from Moor-side home for the event.

I think that the walks I covered went across Totley Moor and the day walks went across from Surrey Farm ( Rivelin Valley ) over to Stanage.

From memory, strangely the weather was always dry.

I remember doing the 15-mile Family Treks as they called them, some time during May I think.

I used to love the night hike.

One time a couple of friends and I decided to see how quickly we could do it and ran for much of the distance (I couldn't manage that anymore!) Problem was, if one of the marshalls saw us they would tick us off for not walking, so we had to slow down each time we got near to any.

My favourite bit was always the section across the moor (from Hathersage Rd to Ringinglow Rd - the old Roman road), which was great fun - if a little bit dangerous - if you turned off all torches. In fact, I never once took a torch on that walk...

From memory, the night walk was about twelve miles long.

The boy scout's lit the path-way across Totley Moors and along Hound kirk Road (The Roman Road) from Fox House to Ringinglow.

Can anyone say why the night walk was stopped please.?

Around this time a few voluntary organisation's fund raising events appear to cease.

Was this because the generation which followed, did not get involved with giving their own time for nothing or was their something else?