The Car Boot Megathread - see first post for list of forthcoming car boot sales

Greno wasn't busy and there were only 5 cars standing at Wadsley bridge. Its more to do with the fact that people have other stuff to do on a Saturday morning.

Jim

Possibly, but then last time I went to the Hillsborough one on a double one Saturday and then again on Sunday (day after) - the Saturday was by far the busiest day. So you never can tell.

I think its also because July and August are the main holiday months when a lot of people are away.

Possibly, but then last time I went to the Hillsborough one on a double one Saturday and then again on Sunday (day after) - the Saturday was by far the busiest day. So you never can tell.

I think its also because July and August are the main holiday months when a lot of people are away.

Hi Discovery,

Are you sure about the double one being on Saturday and Sunday? The only double I remember was on Sunday and Bank Hol Monday, with the Sunday being the busiest.

Hi Discovery,

Are you sure about the double one being on Saturday and Sunday? The only double I remember was on Sunday and Bank Hol Monday, with the Sunday being the busiest.

You know what, you could be right. It was a Bank Holiday now I come to think of it. So yes, I think you are right. Sorry about that.

However I will not abandon Saturdays as there is still money to be made - it really comes down to what we are selling. My son's girlfriend came with us and set up stall alongside us and she was busy from the outset. She took a lot of money even though there were not many people milling around but she had a great selection of stuff with some very snazzy and unusual dresses that had the young girls flocking round her.

Hi,

Totally new to Car Boot Selling. We'd like to sell at one this weekend. What's the best one to go to on Sunday (19th July)

Thank you

PS Is there a particular etiquette we need to adhere to?

:-)

Hi,

Totally new to Car Boot Selling. We'd like to sell at one this weekend. What's the best one to go to on Sunday (19th July)

Thank you

Hi

Etiquette? Not sure, but ....

don't put price tags on things - just make it up as you go along.

Have fun doing it.

Hi,

Thank you

It depends where you are, which ones are nearest to you and what time you want to get up :)

I prefer to do Hillsborough arena because it starts later, but you would have to wait until the 26th July for the next one. The other one I like to do is Hope, which is on most weeks unless cancelled due to bad weather.

I don't think there is an etiquette as such, except don't extend into your neighbours pitch, but there are things that are useful to take, such as carrier bags for customers, lots of change as everyone brings £20 notes, and perhaps some bubblewrap if you are selling breakables, chairs to sit on, tables to display on and blankets to put on the ground. Make sure you stay alert as there are thieves, especially for jewellery and cds etc. Put cds in the car and leave the empty cases on display as you will find people take the cds and leave the cases behind if you are not alert. Make sure you don't put your money pot down, and lock your car on any valuables, handbags etc, as people will sneak into the car. These things happen rarely so don't get paranoid, just be aware.

Does anyone know if there are any carboots on this saturday 18th july?.

Does anyone know if there are any carboots on this saturday 18th july?.

Yes, there are a couple this Saturday, as follows:

Herdings Park

Arbourthorne Fields

Good luck if you are doing one.:)

Herdings Park

Arbourthorne Fields

Great thanks!! never done a carboot i just like going to them because i love bargains.:)

Herdings Park

Arbourthorne Fields

Great thanks!! never done a carboot i just like going to them because i love bargains.:) do you know what time they are starting?.

Hi,

Thank you

Also be aware that there are dealers coming round as you are unloading your stuff, asking if you have such things as jewellry or mobile phones usually.

Sometimes people start picking your items out of your boxes before you unload which can take you by surprise when you are new to it and not expecting this. But at the end of the day you are there to sell, sell, sell so just go with the flow.

And the carrier bags are a MUST as 'hennypenny' said. People are not impressed if you haven't got one! If you are taking clothes, make sure you hang your most eyecatching items onto the boot of your car so they are visible from further away and if you are using a clothes rack, turn 2 or 3 of what you consider to be your better looking items facing people so they can be seen easily. If you are not getting people coming to look at your clothes rack, change the 2 or 3 items facing the front for something else - you will see a difference. Same goes for the items hanging onto your boot - change them if you are not getting any interest. If you are folding items onto a blanket on the floor, and you have some decent branded clothing - make sure that the labels are visible. A simple trick but I find it works well - you are just stacking the odds more in your favour of someone picking it up.

Jewellry is really good for pulling people to your stall if you place it near to the front so it can be seen, especially shiny things (I'm referring to costume jewellry, beads, bangles etc, NOT ideal to place expensive jewellry at the front for obvious reasons!).

Keep moving things round on your table as you sell and get spaces. Anything you want to 'push' place right at the front and you will notice how much it gets picked up.

Don't be afraid to alter your asking price depending on your perception of your potential customer - one person may be quite happy to give you a pound for something that another person may only be prepared to pay 50p for. Its all quite interesting really - just 'play the game'.

Hope you do well.

Edited by discovery

Great thanks!! never done a carboot i just like going to them because i love bargains.:) do you know what time they are starting?.

can you please tell me more info on these 2 boots please

ie times postcodes

thanks