Google web browser (Chrome)

And as for the zoom tool on Opera being pointless. People keep raving about it when talking about Opera being used on phones.

Another place where text is a very different size!

Wow, I can't quite believe this text size debate is still going on....it's a marathon!:hihi:

jezzyjj, I'm afraid your words on Opera's brilliant and extremely useful zoom magnifyer seem to be lost on adaline.

Two things really need to happen before adaline might change his/her stance

1) They need to understand that many computer users do find it a strain to read text on many websites and blogs, and it's not just the people who need glasses either!

2) They need to actually experience Opera's zoom magnifyer to really understand why the likes of you and I, and no doubt thousands of Opera users find this too absolutely an indespensible tool.

For those interested in Chrome rather than text size ;) the EULA's been changed to remove the iffy content clause. It now reads:

"11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services."

I may reinstall.

Interestingly to me, there's hundreds of pages laying into Google for the EULA issue, and all the ones I've seen seem to forget it's a BETA. You'd think the world had ended or that they'd made such a boo-boo in a released version they're charging £1000's for. Some geeks need to calm down a bit I feel.

How is the EULA related to its status as beta?

And the omnibar logging every key stroke to google puts Chrome firmly in the category of 'spyware' as far as I'm concerned.

EULAs between betas and releases often vary. But numerous journalists describing "problems with Google's new browser" and forgetting to mention that it's not a release version seems a little harsh.

I've just seen a report that it doesn't uninstall properly and continues to run stuff in the background, unseen and undetectable to file explorer. It's been picked up by Zone Alarm and contained in

C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\1.2.131.11

Can one of you experts take a peek?

(Deeply suspicious now)

I've just seen a report that it doesn't uninstall properly and continues to run stuff in the background, unseen and undetectable to file explorer. It's been picked up by Zone Alarm and contained in

C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\1.2.131.11

(Deeply suspicious now)

Tony,

Running a rootkit revealer (Fsecure blacklight) now, will let everyone know what it finds.

:edit: Found nothing, so its not a rootkit, mind you they would be incredibly stupid to use a rootkit.

Do you have a process running called GoogleUpdate? or GoogleupdateHelper?

No you accused me of suggesting that designers needn't bother to design pages properly as Opera will sort it out. Not something I said at all. Or ever would say.

I don't need the extra functionality of the latest version of Photoshop, but guess what it makes my life easier, so I use it.

Also breaking news here, a very, very, very large no of web pages are not well designed and that will always be the case. So a tool realises the reality of the world's imperfections and helps you deal with how it really is, it is actually a very usefull tool. Anything that makes my life easier is a good thing. :thumbsup:

Of course websites should be designed well, but as lots of people argue about what 'good' design actually is, who decides when a site is actually good. Jakob Nielsen, supposedly a guru of web usability, used to dismiss the use of images or 'pretty design' in aiding usuability. It seemed beyond his comprehension, that there were different types of users out there. :loopy:

Are you also still refusing to admit that text can vary in size depending on how it is displayed?

Its true text does apear at different physical size on different screens im not bothered about it, but if the designer foresaw the need to see the site on a phone/7"laptop/fridge he/she would design the site to make the text readable on those screens. ie. a site about laser eye surgery should be easily readable by people with sight problems, without them needing to be on a computer with opera. Its obviously nice to have an option to do more (and operating systems had the magnifier feature for a long time now), but if the site was made well for its purpose, in this case reading, you would just come to it and read, whatever software your using.

(Deeply suspicious now)

Tony look back on page 6 at my post 104.

I had both WinPatrol and Comodo alert me that Google updater was trying to run, I blocked it and even tried to disable the process in WinPatrol, but the alerts kept coming every 5 minutes or so.

( just like Microsoft processes is very persistent ,so if it's not given permission first time it will keep attempting to connect to the internet at regular intervals)

I uninstalled Chrome using the Chrome Uninstaller and then clean up my PC with CCcleaner and Easy Cleaner but still got the alerts.

I then did a system restore....but still got the alerts.:rolleyes:

I checked My Progammes folder in C drive and the Google Chrome Folder had

gone, but I did have Google Player still on my system which I install but rarely used ages a go.

I unistalled Google player and then ran CC Cleaner and EasyCleaner again.....and the cleaners did indeed pick up Google Updater for the first time.

I have now been free of any Google Update alerts.:)

So I can only conclude that somehow the Google Updater that comes with Chrome somehow finds a home in other Google program folders if you uninstall Chrome.

So If you have other Google stuff that you could do without on your computer(Google player, Google Picasso,Google Earth etc) and still get the alerts then consider unistalling them too.

I've just seen a report that it doesn't uninstall properly and continues to run stuff in the background, unseen and undetectable to file explorer.
I wouldnt doubt it......

Anything made by google is spyware!!

Astute Reg readers have pointed out a Chrome condition of service that effectively lets Google use any of your copyrighted material posted to the web via Chrome without paying you a cent.
Why would anyone wanna use this POS when this is a condition of service??

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/google_chrome_eula_sucks

Its just a ploy by google to get info from people so they can be plastered with ads,etc.... (They are almost as bad as microsoft)

...because that was an error in this Beta software and they've since amended (and retrospectively applied) an amended EULA.

...because that was an error in this Beta software and they've since amended (and retrospectively applied) an amended EULA.

The very idea of being able to retrospectively alter the EULA is more worrying to me than what is in there now.

Its true text does apear at different physical size on different screens im not bothered about it
Well it bothers me as it affects legibility and I use small high res screens and I doubt I'm alone there. Did you read what kingmaker said about how useful it is and have you even tried the tool, that you think is pointless?

I find it baffling that people so often slag off a tool they wouldn't use. There are lots of tools in many programmes I don't use, I simply ignore them and realize that tools I use all the time, others will also ignore. So what's the problem? Everybody uses a different subset of the tools on offer and quite often they get used in ways not originally imagined by inventor.

but if the designer foresaw the need to see the site on a phone/7"laptop/fridge he/she would design the site to make the text readable on those screens.
Again, most sites are not designed by caring professionals or maybe the budget didn't cover a WAP version and an iPhone version

ie. a site about laser eye surgery should be easily readable by people with sight problems, without them needing to be on a computer with opera.
People with sight problem also look at other pages too, not just ones about eye surgery:loopy:

Its obviously nice to have an option to do more (and operating systems had the magnifier feature for a long time now), but if the site was made well for its purpose, in this case reading, you would just come to it and read, whatever software your using.
But a large perecentage aren't well made and probably never will be. OSX can easily magnify on fly, but simply enlarging a poorly designed web page is not something you want to do in Windows. Though the XP accessibility options seem pretty good for those who need permanent aid.

Anyway inspired by your comments, I'm off to design a website with all the the text at 8pt and in dark grey on a black background so it can only be read by Opera users with the 'nightlite' facility.