Google web browser (Chrome)

I've not tried it as yet, but I already use 4 browsers on this lappie .... :loopy: ..... IE7, Firefox, Opera and Safari. :)

(I must like the Icons :huh:)

The first two I use for general purpose browsing, with Opera Speed Dial set up for my "fave" newspapers and Radio Times online.

Safari is the quickest though and I have set up all my favourite Blogger sites on it.

I doubt the 4Mz Amstrad I used to have 20/25 years ago could have handled it all. :)

(I don't think my brain can handle it all now, too!) :hihi:

Hmm, I've been running the betas of both Chrome and IE8 this morning and it looks like they will both be coming off. IE8 add ons are particulaly buggy for me at the moment.

I might need to have a week with Safari to rest my eyes.

F11 on most [all] browsers gets rid of most the toolbar clutter [on PC, but not Mac as OS has that shortcut]. In Opera, F11 gets rid of all toolbars giving you a genuine full screen view.

IE7 and FF3 definitely give you complete full screen with F11 on WinXP.

For anyone who is using it. Try editing the search engines by right clicking the URL bar. You can set it up to search any site you like using keywords. E.g AM "DVD Title" can be set to search amazon for "DVD Title" .

I have set-up Google i'm feeling lucky search so that typing lk shef forum for example takes you straight here. I am probably the only person who would find that useful but I have never managed to get it working as I like in Firefox.

I've been using it for ten minutes, and even tried the Acid2 test (which is passes beautifully). I'm not inclined to use it all the time, as FF and web dev toolbar = WIN, but it's always nice to have an alternative.

At least it doesn't butcher text smoothing like Safari does.

I'm quite liking it so far. Not sure why but the ease of splitting the tabs off to spawn new windows I really like. Maybe I'll get bored of that eventually.

Like the idea of the home page providing links to commonly used sites.

Now I want functionality that my firefox add-ons provide and the sidebar/social website support from Flock and it'll be my main browser. In the mean time I'll have to stick to using differant browsers for differing purposes.

An interesting take on the possibility of being forced ads here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/02/google_chrome_comic_funnies/

And I'm not too happy about the licence terms which state anything that you submit through Chrome Google has the rights to use.

The 'google has rights to use stuff submitted through chrome' thing on the face of it is quite a worrying claim, but then as it seems a lot (the majority?) of web users seem to think that anything out there is copyright free does it really make any difference?

Certainly the ads thing is inevitable. I can't see Google releasing an adblocker when that is where they get a large proportion of their income from.

[just discovered I can resize textarea elements on the page with my mouse :)]

IE7 and FF3 definitely give you complete full screen with F11 on WinXP.
Just after posting F11 tip, I noticed that IE7 finally gets rid of toolbars, though there was still some crap at botom of screen, so not entirely full screen. Not really played with FF3 yet as I only use FF for testing how web pages render, same with IE as they are both so old fashioned and clunky compared to Opera. Still how many years has it taken either of them to do something so simple?

Certainly the ads thing is inevitable. I can't see Google releasing an adblocker when that is where they get a large proportion of their income from

[just discovered I can resize textarea elements on the page with my mouse :)]

If it truly is open source, then ads shouldn't be a problem.

The first two I use for general purpose browsing, with Opera Speed Dial set up for my "fave" newspapers and Radio Times online.

As useful as Speed Dial is, because you can close Opera with say 60 tabs open and open it again with all 60 intact, I rarely use it. Though if you do have a silly no. of tabs open, then it will impact on performance just like having a lot of files/windows open in any programme.

Not only that the pages you looked at earlier are inprior session still there in tabs, handy if you move off a regular site following a link and so you can simply return to prior page/site. This means I simply leave all the pages I view regularly, permanently open.

Also unlike other browsers you can have several installs, so the girlfriend can have her own customised copy of Opera with all her favourite pages left open on the same machine a my copy of Opera. So on both our laptops we have our own peronalised browsers if we swap machines or only have one with us when travelling.

And for those who want to cover their tracks, all the things I mentioned above are optional, like just about everythingin Opera.

Being able to simply close down browser and have multiple tabs reopen where I left it next time, completely changes how you use browser. Even if computer is unplugged and crashes, Opera still has everything saved.

Another favourite Opera thing, if you close tabs by mistake or want to reopen something you looked at earlier, you simply undo like many other programmes by using Cntrl/Cmmd +z.