Google web browser (Chrome)

Downloaded and installed and I will shortly be removing Google Chrome from my PC - it's not for me I'm afraid. :)

it's only a beta so it won't be my main browser yet, but it seems ok. has a nice 'friendly' feel. would be perfect on a netbook...

What is it like ?

It's okay, not really used it enough to give a proper review of it, although after all the hype I was expecting something a bit more special.

Aside from the sandboxed tab benefit, it doesn't appear to have as many features as the standard Opera installation, and doesn't seem to offer any better performance.

I'm willing to keep trialing it for a little while longer, but at the moment I don't think I'll be switching from Opera anytime soon.

Its a bit basic, usable, fast, going to keep it as (yet another) back up browser.

So far, I'm finding it downloads and renders even faster than Opera, and gives access to sites that can't handle Opera. Takes a bit of getting used to, though, and definitely needs more configurable settings (a definite plus for Opera) - anyone know how to access them yet...?

EDIT: it's rather slow connecting to gmail :rolleyes:

And its spelling checker doesn't recognize "Google's" :D

So far, I'm finding it downloads and renders even faster than Opera, and gives access to sites that can't handle Opera. Takes a bit of getting used to, though, and definitely needs more configurable settings (a definite plus for Opera) - anyone know how to access them yet...?

Yes that is one thing I would say about Chrome, it does seem to be pretty fast, but like you say, there seem to be limited configuration settings, and no customisable skins colours,tool bar or buttons to play with like there are in Opera.

Opera Speed dial is better than Chrome's "most visited pages" feature, as you can select your favourite websites with Opera, you can't with Chrome.

I'm not a great fan of the "Add On" system so as far as "out of the box" features Chrome scores well below Opera, as I said earlier, I was expecting a whole lot more after all the hype.

What does "sandboxed" mean?

usually it means a development area or operating system that is isolated from the main OS. It can be erased and re-imaged, so you can run dodgy or experimental code without compromising the integrity of the whole OS.

Looks neat. Its quick. I like the inspect element feature, Right Mouse Click on the web page and select Inspect element. You get a resources chart showing how long it takes to load the elements, reload your page to show the info. Possibly not that useful, but it looks nice.

On the blue bar at the top, Right Mouse Click finds the Task Manager, the Stats for Nerds link is interesting.

As someone who writes a lot of web pages, its got a load developer toys that makes it very useful. I like it.

K.

I'll continue to try it out for a few days but I can't see myself ditching Opera, I'm too used to having mouse gestures and such.

Yes that is one thing I would say about Chrome, it does seem to be pretty fast, but like you say there seem to be limited configuration settings and no customisable skins colours,tool bar or buttons to play with like there are in Opera.

Opera Speed dial is better than Chrome's most visited pages feature, as you can select your favourite websites with Opera, you can't with Chrome.

I'm not a great fan of the "Add On" system so as far as out of the box features Chrome scores well below Opera, as I said earlier I was expecting a whole lot more after all the hype.

It's early days, yet, and it is beta, isn't it?

We've agreed to differ about Speed Dial before, I think :), but I'm far from impressed with Chrome's version of it. And there's no ability to have different users/profiles? I'm using a shared PC... I don't want to have my and others' Most Visited pages on display every time...

It's early days, yet, and it is beta, isn't it?

We've agreed to differ about Speed Dial before, I think :), but I'm far from impressed with Chrome's version of it.

True it is beta, but usually the non beta version is when they iron out the bugs discovered during the beta phase, rather than introduce a host of new features.

I love Opera's Speed Dial, I use it all the time, it's brilliant:) and you can hide Opera's speed dial by simply clicking the button at the bottom, you can't do that with Chrome's version as far as I can tell.