Google web browser (Chrome)

So another web browser looks set to enter the market.

Google's chrome, which will be available for download sometime today.

It seems to offer some useful features like sandboxing each tab, meaning one crashed window won't crash the whole browser which happens every now and again.

It's open source so will have an add on system similar to Firefox, which may be a good feature for some, but bad for others.

It will take a lot for me to switch from Opera, but I'll definitely be giving Google's Chrome a spin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7593106.stm

Oooh Google's empire expands further!

Worth a look I think :thumbsup:

It seems to offer some useful features like sandboxing each tab, meaning one crashed window won't crash the whole browser which happens every now and again.

That sounds good. It also says if a piece of Javascript (or similar) hangs it won't take down the whole browser. That is one of the things I don't like about Firefox you get quite a few crashes for things like that.

I think I will probably give it a try, not sure I would switch to it full time until there are some of the Firefox addons replicated for it. There are some, like mouse gestures, that I use all the time.

Does it mean that they can now record every site you visit? I'm finding the power of Google a little worrying at the moment. If you still have the attention span there's a great article here -

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google

that would be illegal - unless you agree to it

that would be illegal - unless you agree to it

Google Toolbar already does this, as long as they put it in the small print then they're covered. I'll be reading the Privacy Statement and User agreement very carefully before installing this. I might give it a go after seeing what other people think of it.

Having said that, it's unlikely they'll do it with Chrome because being Open Source people would just take it out straight away.

Isn't it based on WebKit?

Isn't it based on WebKit?

Yes. ..... Google have produced a cartoon ebook thing to help explain why their browser is different to others, that doc includes acknowledgment of webkit (and others) that they used.

Meh, Internet Explorer FTW!

Google Toolbar already does this, as long as they put it in the small print then they're covered. I'll be reading the Privacy Statement and User agreement very carefully before installing this. I might give it a go after seeing what other people think of it.

Yes it does, upon first install you have to either agree or decline to participate in the pagerank system. If you say yes, you're whole internet experience is logged on one of their datacenters. This is also how they spider some webpages that have no incoming links, and the owners often wonder how come google found a page they never made public!