Arthur Lee Steel Company

Hey MINICOOP, I'm actually doing some research into this my self because it was my family that started up the business. It was ether William Fairbrother or Horace Fairbrother that started up the company and then handed it down to Arthur Lee when he retired.

If we could help each other on finding out more information that would be great!

EDIT: It appears that it was James Fairbrother, William Fairbrothers father. It started off as a Crown Steel and Wire Mill

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/James_Fairbrother

EDIT: James Fairbrother & Co was owned by James Fairbrother and his brother Arthur Fairbrother, Arthur Lee bought the company off them in 1874.

I don't know when James died up to now.

I have a copy of the book which was issued to employees to celebrate the centenary in 1974.

There are lots of details of the origins of the company but suffice to say that Arthur Lee returned from the USA in 1870 whilst still employed by Joshua Moss & Gamble and established himself in the cutlary trade in Arundel Lane. He became a manager at the wire mill owned by James Fairbrother then at Brocco Bank but which moved to Bessemer Road in 1871. Arthur aquired a controlling interest in the company by 1874. There is much more but perhaps this will be of interest for the moment.

I have a copy of the book which was issued to employees to celebrate the centenary in 1974.

There are lots of details of the origins of the company but suffice to say that Arthur Lee returned from the USA in 1870 whilst still employed by Joshua Moss & Gamble and established himself in the cutlary trade in Arundel Lane. He became a manager at the wire mill owned by James Fairbrother then at Brocco Bank but which moved to Bessemer Road in 1871. Arthur aquired a controlling interest in the company by 1874. There is much more but perhaps this will be of interest for the moment.

Hey David

Thanks for your reply. I am a descendent of Arthur Fairbrother who set up the company with James. It would be great if you know where I could get a copy of this book? Or maybe scan it in for me to read?

Many thanks

Tom

Hey David

Thanks for your reply. I am a descendent of Arthur Fairbrother who set up the company with James. It would be great if you know where I could get a copy of this book? Or maybe scan it in for me to read?

Many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

I have no idea where you might get a copy from but would be happy to have a go at scanning some pages. A lot of it is dealing with a later period and it sounds as though you are only interested in the Fairbrother connection. I cannot promise that it will scan very well because it is all very tasteful (for the time!) done with coloured pages similar to sepia.

Peter W. Lee wrote it (my old boss at Alloy Steel Rods) and he is still living in Sheffield. Send me a PM with your email address and I will see what I can do.

I am doing a geneology project which I believe will link in with the family who started up a company which was either Arthur Lee's originally or a firm which turned into Arthur Lee's.

Does anyone know anything about the origins of Arthur Lee's or how to find out?

go on internet exployer look for arthur lees strip mills you will be surprised what comes up

As far as I am aware, the Lee's family did live in the house at Broomhill on Taptonville Road. It is now Broomhill Public Library

The company I worked for did work at A. Lees at Wincobank, I suppose through that connection we worked at Philips house at Fulwood, (I think I have the name right, it seems to me he was a son.) 1950 would have been the approx.time, anyway the house was big and he had a huge model railway (a larger scale variety) that ran from the basement to the outside perimeter of the garden, they also had uniformed maids running around the property. Not too long after that we worked for a son (again forgot the name) at 'Stow-in-the-Wold' in the Cotswolds at a farm, they said he was a gentleman farmer. He was living in a trailer with his family on the property and waiting for a house to be built. The nature of our work in both cases was steel fabrication and mechanical.

Attention gleadam - Please refer to my #5 posting earlier. Would the house that I referred too be the same one that you have just mentioned that is now a library, as a young lad at the time I probably wouldn't have known the difference between the area's of Broomhill and Fulwood having been born in Grimesthorpe. The facts about the house though are absolutely correct, it was a large corner house and it was owned by Philip.

Hi I am looking at my family tree and my grandmother worked as a maid for Arthur Lee I think at Taptonville Road . Could anyone give me any information about the family in the late twenties -early thirties please.

would anybody remember Arthur Lee or his son having a Bus with matching car made for them in 1965,

Don't know if my last post was submitted but here goes, masbrolass If you are still on this forum but my wife Karen Crosbie worked In the purchasing office 1974 and can remember all the names you mention . I worked in the bar department her mom Ivy worked in Ecclesfield dining room and her dad was head roller in FZ 1 for 40 odd years . Only last week I was reminiscing along with Wendy Spellman about the good old days at Lees including me and and work mates sneaking through railings to Royal Oak for a couple of pints the going back dodging the guards to clock out at 10.00 pm

I am trying to find more info on MR Philip Arthur Lee of snaithing lane and later Clumber road, does anyone know of any way they could be asked to get in touch, was there ever a C.Cokeham of Ranmoor Cliff Road at the works

Hi Tom

I am also a descendant of Arthur Fairbrother and have recently found this out by doing the Family Tree. I would love to know how you are related and you may be able to complete part of my tree?

Thanks

Kaye.

Hey David

Many thanks

Tom