Jeanery, THE place for Smart R's jeans!

I had many pairs of Smart R's jeans. They were so tight around the ankle you couldn't get them off after a few Newcastles at the Wap. You also used to get horrendous baggy knees after a couple of hours. Ah, the classic NWOBHM look, Smart R's, a hooped slash neck T-Shirt and a pristine white pair of Hi-Tec's complete with ENORMOUS tongue, all topped off with a white/black/red/blue (delete as appropriate) bike jacket. Ah, them were the days....

Anybody got any tight jeans stories?

wow that brings back memories! I had to lay on the bed and use a coat hanger hook in the zip to get them on . they were a bit stiff and i could hardly bend my legs till the material gave way a little . I couldn't breathe though ;)

stretch jeans-the 80s- nwobhm = lots of memories

New wave of British heavy metal. Think Judas Priest, Saxon, Iron Maiden etc etc.

Oh yes, tight jeans...........LOL.....can still slip into a size 10/28 waist no problem......jeans are rock n roll history.

But WHERE was jeanery?

I only recall buying jeans from Western Jean Co on Fargate, or the Jean Genie shop opposite....

Jeanery was down the bottom of Fargate, near where the new Starbucks is, I think.

What was the well known place in the market that used to do Dollar Jeans? I used to wear the black stretchy canvas ones - think they were about a tenner (which is double what primark charge now for their sweatshop specials!) But you're right - the knees did go baggy - it was better once they'd worn through. I used to wear converse all stars with mine - whch used to be a right pain to find - hardly anywhere used to sell them until the late 80s...

BTW I'm quite surprised that rising sun (cap sleeved of course) tshirts have never made a come back with all the 80s stuff recently back in vogue - I think there's money to be made there if someone ever comes across a few boxes of them lurking in the back of a warehouse...

:)

What was the well known place in the market that used to do Dollar Jeans?

Harringtons?

Wasnt there a shop above the Sheaf Market on the balcony that also sold Smart R's I think it was called Zoots or something like that.

My grandama god bless her once went in there to buy me a pair as a surprise birthday pressie and asked for a pair of "tight a**es" lol.

The shop assistant knew what she meant though.

Harringtons?

Thats the one! Hurray for market jeans...

i used to wear them all the time i wore an old pair the first time i worked on a building site with a pair of dockers and all the lads used to sing spiderman to me.