Sheffield accent - do you like it?

Originally posted by stevie1957

I’ve got one for the politically correct brigade to jump on……

Kristian said “I cringe when I hear people from Sheffield being interviewed on TV, because they normally sound a little bit dim.”

Had Kristain said “I cringe when I hear people from the West Indian community being interviewed on TV, because they normally sound a little bit dim. Kristain would be called a racist.

…..so if you say someone sounds dim because of their accent (on tv or otherwise) then Surely you are ACCENTIST.

:hihi: :hihi:

lol thats a rate good point! :)

I’ve got one for the politically correct brigade to jump on……

Kristian said “I cringe when I hear people from Sheffield being interviewed on TV, because they normally sound a little bit dim.”

Had Kristain said “I cringe when I hear people from the West Indian community being interviewed on TV, because they normally sound a little bit dim. Kristain would be called a racist.

…..so if you say someone sounds dim because of their accent (on tv or otherwise) then Surely you are ACCENTIST.

It's not accentist, it's blumming true! :thumbsup::D

K x

Surely you are ACCENTIST.

I am studying in Southampton, and, although I know how to "talk proper" when I'm addressing strangers etc., I'm constantly told to repeat myself, even after almost three years of living here. My accent is both picked up on and picked upon daily, which is definitely a form of prejudice.

"Accentist" is a good neologism. I also like to use "Regionalist".

Mind you, I'm a pretentious bugger... ;)

Originally posted by rubydazzler

This is great .... it took me right back to being a little child and listening to the men from my father's works ... Barnsley accent is a bit stronger than the old Sheffeldish ... but still .... I have to agree with dilly .... mmmmmmm!

http://www.barnsleylife.com/tonythepitpony.htm

tha's just gorra luv it ant tha?

This is a top link rubydazzler - am mailing it to my father in law (Essex born and bred) he loves yorkshire dialect. Never understood why he laughs so much when he hears it though :suspect::hihi:

Edit: Am still 'lakin wi this' twenty minutes on....

No 34 is my favourite:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Pilon

I am studying in Southampton, and, although I know how to "talk proper" when I'm addressing strangers etc., I'm constantly told to repeat myself, even after almost three years of living here. My accent is both picked up on and picked upon daily, which is definitely a form of prejudice.

Mind you, I'm a pretentious bugger... ;)

My friend once told me that when she went to Cornwall to study her geology degree (now working in a call centre! :hihi: ) that her housemates used to take the mick of her (hmmm - that's not good English!) for saying he was going to 'wash the pots!! I never considered how silly that phrase sounded until she pointed it out!

K x

Originally posted by Pilon

My accent is both picked up on and picked upon daily, which is definitely a form of prejudice.

I like the use of "Regionalist". The political correct lot will be rubbing their hands with glee with something else to “bang on about”. :hihi:

I work with a “Ms” (note not Miss or Mrs) :hihi: PC person who is always boring us to death with what is the latest in political correctness.

I got called "flower" today ;) - if ever I heard a sheffield term then that is it :)

SORRY if I FREAKED YOU A BIT MOONFIRE. I was being a bit sarky towards the ,'Sheffielders are stupid brigade!' And what can sound more sexy, whispered lovingly, of course , than ,"Eyup Maggy, tha's gorra reyt bonny flat cap?"

Sounding sexy appears to be more important than actually being sexy apparently.Dont they know how sensitive and gentle we tough northerners can be? I could eyt thi between a breadcake lass!

G'nite...

Originally posted by Moonfire

I got called "flower" today ;) - if ever I heard a sheffield term then that is it :)

I'm probably completely wrong here, but I associate 'flower' with Manchester?

When at uni in Manchester one of my flatmates had a Mancunian boyfriend (now there's a shock!) who used to call everyone 'flower', even my boyfriend! It was a bit weird at first, but he was so friendly it got to be really nice!

StarSparkle :thumbsup:

Does poppet count as "Sheffield"? I love that one as well!

poppet, as far as I know is a French thing - but I could be wrong ;)

Is it? Wow, I'm bi-lingual then!