Sheffield accent - do you like it?

if you think breadcake is a bit weird trying asking fo a "fishcake " in the chippy & see what you get.12 miles away in Worksop you get a breadcrumbed lump of mush.

I always thought "cob" was a Notts word for something we in Sheffield call "breadcake" but is generally in Standard English called "roll".

I think the Sheffield accent sounds homely, but people speaking do sound very dim. I love exaggerating it, starting every sentence with "waaaaay".

I'm fascinated by how every thread about Sheffield is infiltrated by a discussion about why a breadcake is called a breadcake ... it this a breadcake plan for world domination??

but come on, I mean - it's so obvious ... it's bread and it's a flat round cake shape .... :rolleyes:

To me a cob is a crusty lump of dough, a bap is a soggy lump of dough and a roll is a little roundish lump of dough. Only one thing is worthy of the name BREADCAKE, all the others are just pretenders to the throne ... other area's attempts to be like us

Long live the breadcake ...!!

and don't even get me started on the the whole "fishcake" versus "rissole" saga .....

OK you can go back on topic now, t020 :D

The de dars comes from old norse a viking influence.

thats if were staying on topic lol

Originally posted by rubydazzler

and don't even get me started on the the whole "fishcake" versus "rissole" saga .....

[/quote

What's a rissole? :confused:

Come to think of it, what is it that Sheffielders call a fishcake? Cos my impression of one is a round flat bit of minced fish, covered with breadcrumbs.

I'm trying to deal with the whole cob thing having lived in Heanor for a year (between Derby and Nottingham) they do say chip butty but only if it's normal slices of bread, otherwise it's a chip cob but we never say chip breadcake! Wierd! As for fish and mix, christ knows what thats all about.

Have to say one word that varies the most is Genel (not sure of spelling to be honest). They call it a channel or jitty (spelling?), and Mancs calls it a ginal or something like that, but never hear of twitchel (WTF?).... Strage all for a little path that you can walk down...........

Originally posted by NJMUK

I'm trying to deal with the whole cob thing having lived in Heanor for a year (between Derby and Nottingham) they do say chip butty but only if it's normal slices of bread, otherwise it's a chip cob but we never say chip breadcake! Wierd! As for fish and mix, christ knows what thats all about.

Have to say one word that varies the most is Genel (not sure of spelling to be honest). They call it a channel or jitty (spelling?), and Mancs calls it a ginal or something like that, but never hear of twitchel (WTF?).... Strage all for a little path that you can walk down...........

Hi NJMUK.

The Twitchel is actually a street name that occurs in Kirk Langley (near Derby) and in Sutton-in-Ashfield (Notts).

A fish and mix is, on reflection, a peculiar phrase - but every chippy in Derby-Nottingham area will know what you are ordering.

Ey up me duck - give my regards to Heanor - I used to live in Ripley. Here in my adopted Sheffield, there is a smashing greeting to friends and strangers alike - a simple 'love'.

Tat-ta 4 now.

It is a fact known only to learned scholars of phonetics, that the Yorkshire dialect, and particularly that used in the south of the county, is one of the most economic methods of conveying information. When time is of the essence, ( a Rotherham baker trying to sell you a 'tea bap' for instance,) brevity can mean life or death. For example," Nardendee, tek thi tea bap n' shuvit, dee dar daft n' ".

bloody hell SuperTyke!!! :/ what was that?!!!!

When my cousin Ernie, he of the broad accent, came to visit us in America, a waitress asked him if he was Norwegian!!

Originally posted by NJMUK

When I first came to live in England (from Edinburgh) I was really confused by the variety of terms for 'bread products'! What I'd call a 'roll' seems to be a 'breadcake' here, and a 'cob' in Nottinghamshire.

And there seems to be complete confusion over what a 'bap' is :o

That little path you can walk down - in Edinburgh that's known as a gennel (not sure of spelling). Fascinating that the different words for it obviously have the same source word, modified by local accents!

StarSparkle - still can't make head nor tail of a Glasgow accent!

Originally posted by buck

When my cousin Ernie, he of the broad accent, came to visit us in America, a waitress asked him if he was Norwegian!!

LOL