Sheffield accent - do you like it?

Originally posted by rubydazzler

t020 - you're a moderator now, as well?

No, just a conscientious and rule-abiding member. :cool:

Well, i actually do like living here!

Its better than Scarborough! Although a shame my family dont live here too, although im trying to persuade them!

My little sister is ten and shes trying to speak sheffield, e.g "Are we going ooouutttt" if you know what i mean!

She thinks that she will fit in at school here if she can talk "Sheffield" Bless!

Originally posted by pdrnsf

Well, i actually do like living here! Its better than Scarborough! Although a shame my family dont live here too, although im trying to persuade them!

I like living here, I just don't like the accent (when it's strong especially).

Originally posted by t020

No, just a conscientious and rule-abiding member. :cool:

Well done t0, and it's only taken a mere 3800 ish postings too :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I arrived in Sheffield approx 17 years ago. It's not the accent that puzzles me - but the words! I recall going into a baker's shop in Hunters Bar and asking for 4 cobs. The assistant gave me 4 loaves of bread! When I explained that I only wanted 4 cobs in order to put some cooked meat inside them for lunch - she rounded on me and said "Then why didn't you say breadcakes then?'. Breadcakes?! I still can't adjust to this nonsensical word. The Sheffield accent isn't anything extraordinary, (and certainly ain't sexy!) - but then me dah's a geordie, so I could be biased?

Oh....and a gennel is really a twitchel; and why don't Sheffield chippies understand the phrase 'a fish and mix' (which is simply shorthand for fish, chips & peas)?

Oh.....and 'snap' was sometimes called 'packing up'. Both were used by Notts-Derbys coal miners for their sandwiches which they took with them down the pit for their mealbreak.

Originally posted by redrobbo

I arrived in Sheffield approx 17 years ago. It's not the accent that puzzles me - but the words! I recall going into a baker's shop in Hunters Bar and asking for 4 cobs. The assistant gave me 4 loaves of bread! When I explained that I only wanted 4 cobs in order to put some cooked meat inside them for lunch - she rounded on me and said "Then why didn't you say breadcakes then?'. Breadcakes?! I still can't adjust to this nonsensical word. The Sheffield accent isn't anything extraordinary, (and certainly ain't sexy!) - but then me dah's a geordie, so I could be biased?

Oh....and a gennel is really a twitchel; and why don't Sheffield chippies understand the phrase 'a fish and mix' (which is simply shorthand for fish, chips & peas)?

Oh.....and 'snap' was sometimes called 'packing up'. Both were used by Notts-Derbys coal miners for their sandwiches which they took with them down the pit for their mealbreak.

Breadcake isn't so strange is it? Clearly if you grow up using a certain word, you don't question it's origin in most cases. But the word 'bread' has universal meaning in England, and cake is surely a fair word to use for such an item?

5 entries found for Cake.

1. A sweet baked food made of flour, liquid, eggs, and other ingredients, such as raising agents and flavorings.

2. A flat rounded mass of dough or batter, such as a pancake that is baked or fried.

3. A flat rounded mass of hashed or chopped food that is baked or fried; a patty.

4. A shaped or molded piece, as of soap or ice.

5. A layer or deposit of compacted matter: a cake of grime in the oven.

K x

Breadcake is just in Sheffield - it is also known as a bap in London and a barm cake in Manchester

A few years ago I was listening to a discussion on Radio Sheffield about accents. Tony Capstick was talking to an American girl about her study of accents and dialect. She said that in the USA there was only four or five different accents across the whole country and that she had heard four or five different accents over ten miles in this country. Dont be ashamed of your accent, it is part of your heritage.Be proud of it ,use it, preserve it for future generations.

its a well know fact that in the wealthier parts of sheffield some of its residents eat fish and chips out of a briefcase so they dont look common

Originally posted by Kristian

the word 'bread' has universal meaning in England, and cake is surely a fair word to use for such an item?

Hi Kristian - bread comes in different shapes and sizes, e.g., loaf, cob, etc. Cake is a different food product altogether. Only in Sheffield have I come across this peculiar merging of two words to describe a bread product. How did cake get added to the word bread? I hail from not 40 miles away from Sheffield, and yet had never encountered this odd word until my encounter with a shop assistant in Hunters Bar.

Have recently joined the forum, and enjoy reading the threads. I enjoy reading yours - and think you should know that you still have a large gay following!

Originally posted by redrobbo

Hi Kristian - bread comes in different shapes and sizes, e.g., loaf, cob, etc. Cake is a different food product altogether. Only in Sheffield have I come across this peculiar merging of two words to describe a bread product. How did cake get added to the word bread? I hail from not 40 miles away from Sheffield, and yet had never encountered this odd word until my encounter with a shop assistant in Hunters Bar.

Have recently joined the forum, and enjoy reading the threads. I enjoy reading yours - and think you should know that you still have a large gay following!

Why, thank you kind sir! :blush: My feeling about the breadcake thing is mostly related to the fourth meaning of 'cake'; (A shaped or molded piece, as of soap or ice). I appreciate that's it's not common usage outside this area, but I just find it funny that other find it so odd, if you take cake in this context.

It's always nice to see new folk around here; welcome to the forum redrobbo! :thumbsup:

K x

well im sheffield born & bred & the accent is easily controllable if we wanted, but why do we need to impress any one else.

at least we don't pronounce bath with an r in it. barth.