Sheffield accent - do you like it?

Originally posted by Moonfire

I was just giving as an example - maybe it was a bad one but hey, no offence meant :)

I have just got used to it now and I don't really notice it now - well apart from when the kids say watta instead of water ;)

No offence taken; I wasn't having a rant at you babe, I was ranting about the idiots they put on the telly!

Sorry for confusion! :thumbsup:

K x

Sexy? I think not!

Why is it that people say ALL RIIIITE instead of all right and OVER THEARE instead of over there?

MMM? confused me when i first moved here!?!

Originally posted by Kristian

Personally, I don't like it. I cringe when I hear people from Sheffield being interviewed on TV, because they normally sound a little bit dim.

K x

You wanna listen to somebody from Barnsley!!

(you dont really!)

The Scottish accent is said to be the most "friendly" accent which is why alot of call centres are built up there.

Having said that i dont like the accent i LOVE the diallect

words like snap and tuck and the sayings etc are all brilliant and are alot better than cockney rhyming slang and the like

Ey up bud, does tha fancy gonna ale house for some snap?

we have some great words in sheffield, just a shame us younger folk tend not to use them as much, and opt for words like "wicked" instead of "smashing"

i dont know anyone from barnsley only rotherham and sheffield the rotherham accent seems less broad to me?am i right in thinking this?

No offence taken; I wasn't having a rant at you babe, I was ranting about the idiots they put on the telly!

Sorry for confusion! :thumbsup:

K x

Not a problem :D :D you didn't have to apologise though ;)

one of my favourites is "working 9 while 5" i have always said that and people look at me as tho i am a mentalist down here they just dunt get it!

okay - I have to ask what is snap?

snap=food. are you from sheffield moonfire?

This is great .... it took me right back to being a little child and listening to the men from my father's works ... Barnsley accent is a bit stronger than the old Sheffeldish ... but still .... I have to agree with dilly .... mmmmmmm!

http://www.barnsleylife.com/tonythepitpony.htm

tha's just gorra luv it ant tha?

When I mentioned people on TV, I didn't mean one of the handful of celebrities that Sheffield produced, I mean people interviewed on the news or on game shows etc. :rant: They always seem to choose the people with the broadest accents!

K x

A handful Tut Tut .Sheffield produced loads of singers,band & other famous people have come out of Sheffield.I would name them but I don't have 50 fingers on 1 hand LOL

Originally posted by tosh13

A handful Tut Tut .Sheffield produced loads of singers,band & other famous people have come out of Sheffield.I would name them but I don't have 50 fingers on 1 hand LOL

I wondered who would pick up on that! ;)

K x