Methane gas lamps in sheffield

Used to be one at the top of Manor Lane corner of Southend Road where Mary Manfiedy used to sell ice cream from the horse and cart.

Who can remember Mary???

Will some one print off rudeboys list and tick them off as they are spotted, I'd do it but my printers poorly at the moment, it probably needs mending with a new one.

The last time I was down Kent Road the one outside what used to be the Salvation Army Chapel was still there albeit in a very poor state.

Used to be one at the top of Manor Lane corner of Southend Road where Mary Manfiedy used to sell ice cream from the horse and cart.

Who can remember Mary???

I remember the Manfredis, on City Road, near the cemetery.

They owned a big garage somewhere near Mount View Road, off Derbyshire lane, which my father rented from them, where he first set up his garage/mechanic business.

Will some one print off rudeboys list and tick them off as they are spotted, I'd do it but my printers poorly at the moment, it probably needs mending with a new one.
I have put the ones that have been confirmed as still in existance in bold on my list. :thumbsup:

Will edit it as others are spotted.

Sad innit? :hihi:

I have put the ones that have been confirmed as still in existance in bold on my list. :thumbsup:

Will edit it as others are spotted.

Sad innit? :hihi:

Yes get a life ( then take me with you )

There is a lamp at the top of Beechwood Road, Hillsborough. I'm sure it's what you are looking for. xx

Yes - this is the one shown as "Oakland Road" on the list. It is at the junction of Oakland Road and Hawthorn/Kendal/Portsea Road, and is still there.

Westbourne Rd, Broomhill still glows its dim glow.

There is a comprehensive list of the lamps on a website created by Alan Cordwell. As a "newbie" I can't give a direct link, but if you Google "Alan Cordwell sewer gas lamps" you'll get there! Also, you can see a map showing the locations if you Google "three legged cat sewer gas lamps" (trust me!) and select the "blogspot" entry. And, yes, it was me that drove round finding and photographing all 22 lamps, 19 of which are Grade II listed buildings. If anyone knows of any more of these lamps (definite sightings please) we'd love to hear.

So Radmunch, you've lost your Forum virginity. How was it for you.

I've just had the site up. One or two are looking a bit sad. I'll report them to the RSPCGL.

Stewart Road one still working but a bit dim. Would love to see these restored.