Methane gas lamps in sheffield

I don't know if you have allready listed it but there is one that looks like it used to be a sewer lamp on London Rd on the corner by the Chemist where the Cream horn pub i think it's called is,one of the cross bars where they used to put a ladder up is missing as well as the glass top being damaged,such a pity as they are part of Sheffields History..

Yes I mentioned it in my post #27 above, as being at the Junction of Alderson Road and London Road.

I never realized that sewer gas was used to power these lamps. Did all the old gas lamps function in this way or was it just a select few as the web site quoted above seems to suggest? The old fashioned gas lamps were all over the city.

Webb lamps served a specific purpose of burning off the dangerous methane that builds up in the sewers.

They were subject to a programme of refurbishment (which I think included a connection to the gas supply)following a grant back in the 80s but I think that ran out some time ago and little if any maintenace is done these days.

The ordinary gas lamps that used to provide lighting burned ordinary town gas ,most being converted during the 60s for electric lighting.

Dont know how the methane is dealt with these days.

Updated list

The ones in bold still remain, the * indicates the lantern (top) is missing.

Alderson Rd

Bishopcourt Rd *

Brincliffe Edge Rd/Union Rd

Burnaby Cres

Camborne Rd/Fox Hill Rd

Eldon St/Westhill Lane

Frog Walk/Cemetery Rd

Jenkin Rd/Tipton St *

Kent Rd/Nicholson Rd

Lancing Rd

Leavygreave Rd

Moor Oaks Rd

Mulehouse Rd

Oakland Rd

Park Lane

Rural Lane

Rushdale Rd

School Rd, Crookes

Shiregreen Lane

South View Rd *

Stewart Rd

Stothard Rd *

Toftwood Rd *

Westbourne Rd/Ashdell

Worrall Rd *

The one at Rural Lane looks really nice.

Great!! photo's,i love the old style lamps as they looked fabulous as well as giving off light,the same can be said for the old buildings with having such thought and craftmanship put into them,i doubt if they have the capability now as it's mostly prefabricated blocks.....such a pity today that we have lost most buildings and lamps of yesteryear......

Great!! photo's,i love the old style lamps as they looked fabulous as well as giving off light,the same can be said for the old buildings with having such thought and craftmanship put into them,i doubt if they have the capability now as it's mostly prefabricated blocks.....such a pity today that we have lost most buildings and lamps of yesteryear......

Have you been to Stratford-upon-Avon? They have refurbished and installed loads of old style street lamps that have been donated from different councils all over the country (there may even be some from abroad). They're on the street that runs behind the RSC theatre.

Edit: You can see them on Google street scene. The street is called Waterside.

Edited by the_rudeboy

I never noticed until today, although I've walked past it hundreds if not thousands of times.

A streetlamp that is extremely old. Done a quick google and it is apparantly a methane gas light, run from sewer gas?

Anyone know the last time this was alight? Are there any more in Sheffield.

As a relatively young person (33) it amazes me that we used to use methane from the sewers to light lamps like this!

There's a thread here all about these lamps. It gives the locations of others in the city and there's a few photos if i recall.

I'm not certain but I think the lamps were used to burn off the methane in the sewers, to make them safer, rather than specifically using methane to power the lights.

Spot on, very interesting read.

Sheffield had the most of any other city/town because of our Hills. Methane build up was the problem, and these were the answer.

Burning city gas 24/7, the fire would draw up any methane gas and burn it off, stopping any dangerous build ups.

We had 86 of them, and around 22 still remain, very few in workable condition and only 1 that still works, maintained by locals.

Nearly 100 years old, these relics should really be maintained as they were predominantly a Sheffield thing!

Is it because Sheffielder's produce more methane than the residents of other cities?

In my ignorance, I started another thread

Would a kind mod be able to either delete that thread or merge it with this one. I find it fascinating but looks like others found these lamps fascinating long before I did!!!