Methane gas lamps in sheffield

Far from it, obviously Sheffield is large anyway, but it's the fact that Sheffield is very hilly that lends itself to the dangerous build ups apparantly.

Anyone who knows Oakland road will know what I mean - its a killer when you walk up and down it a few times, pushing a pram or lugging up shopping or something!!!

Is it because Sheffielder's produce more methane than the residents of other cities?

I will list them in order......tomorrow.....:hihi::hihi:

Anyone know the last time this was alight?...
"About 12-15 years ago" according to the lady who lives nearby at 79 Kendal Road..:)

"About 12-15 years ago" according to the lady who lives nearby at 79 Kendal Road..:)

That's very impressive - that gives it about 75 active years use!!!

That's very impressive - that gives it about 75 active years use!!!

I reckon someone slipped a Duracell battery in there at some point

I never noticed until today, although I've walked past it hundreds if not thousands of times.

A streetlamp that is extremely old. Done a quick google and it is apparantly a methane gas light, run from sewer gas?

Anyone know the last time this was alight? Are there any more in Sheffield.

As a relatively young person (33) it amazes me that we used to use methane from the sewers to light lamps like this!

there's one on shiregreen lane if i remember right, a big green un

there's one on shiregreen lane if i remember right, a big green un

Yeah, outside the chippy at the top of Monckton Rd. I posted a list of them on the other thread.

The city of Sheffield, being a hilly area was more prone to gas pockets, and so had the highest number of sewer gas destructor lamps. They still have many of these lamps and some of them are still functioning.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/12/the-sewer-gas-destructor-lamps-of.html

Bottom 4 photos are based in Sheffield

Used to be one at the top of Manor Lane corner of Southend Road where Mary Manfiedy used to sell ice cream from the horse and cart.

Who can remember Mary???

Who can remember Horses and Carts ? Happy New Year tenbob !

There used to be- till the '70s- one at the junctions of Ellesmere Road, Sutherland Road and Lyons Street outside the old All Saint's church.

Edited by stpetre
Add

There's a house in Sharrow that still has gas lights also gas street lights the chap was on the TVs a couple of years a go we tarmaced the drive next door to his

Apparently the lamps are all to be renovated and fitted with new LEDs. From http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/historic-gas-lamps-set-to-shine-again-thanks-to-streets-ahead/ (the council's press release website):

Historic gas lamps set to shine again thanks to Streets Ahead (27th March 2017)

Sheffield will see all of its remaining 25 original gas street lamps brought back to their former glory and in light again as part of the Streets Ahead programme.

The JE Webb Sewer Gas Destructor Lamps are cast iron street lights, erected between 1914 and 1935, and can be seen at various locations across the city. Over the years, many of these historic lamps have succumbed to vandalism, theft and natural ageing and now require vital restoration work to return them to their original state.

Considered to be of special historic interest, twenty of the lamps set to be restored are grade two listed. Four of the lamps still run on gas and special measures have been taken to ensure they continue to do so after the works are completed.

Designed to burn off the dangerous methane and other gasses which accumulated in Victorian sewers, the lamps were located where there was known to be a problem with pockets of gas.

Streets Ahead, working closely with Historic England and Pudsey Diamond, has found a sensitive design solution to retain the lamps’ original features and restore them to their former glory. These historic street lamps will be repainted and powered by specially designed solar power LED lights that closely replicate the original lighting style.