Computer won`t re-start with recovery disc.

Originally posted by Avalon

If "Winsockfix" does what i think it does - it may not help. WinSock (short fro Windows Sockets) is they part of your PC that tells the computer HOW to communicate with the internet. It is related to the TCP/IP suite of protocols which ACTUALLY DO the communicating. If you were unable to view ANY sites at all then i would suggest either one of these things, but as you can view some sites it may not be the problem. What i would suggest is to try and access websites that you have NEVER been on before and see if you can access them...and record the results - try and think of two or three. Also try going on websited that you visit regularly and record the results - again two or three.............

Having said all this the fact that everything is working (allbeit slowly) through the proxy server then it could be IE thats fubar.

LEt me know how you get on!

I can access different websites I haven`t visited before, It is just when the page is loading up it is taking ages and ages to load....

There is still something not right with the computer because I keep getting the box come up saying the computer is not responding and do I want to end task, retry or cancel .... :confused:

I`ve downloaded firefox again and still keep getting error message the connection was refused when attempting to connect. Please check your proxy settings and try again. :?

Originally posted by mshappy

I can access different websites I haven`t visited before, It is just when the page is loading up it is taking ages and ages to load....

There is still something not right with the computer because I keep getting the box come up saying the computer is not responding and do I want to end task, retry or cancel .... :confused:

I`ve downloaded firefox again and still keep getting error message the connection was refused when attempting to connect. Please check your proxy settings and try again. :?

I would suggest that you back up al your important files and then put in a windows CD again and start from scratch. Other than that it would seem to be Winsock or TCP/IP thats had it - but i cant tell which one?