Computer won`t re-start with recovery disc.

It has to be booted with a win 98 boot disk - the drivers for the cd are on it - I forgot about that !

Am i right in thinking you can access your computer normally mshappy, and that this is just an Internet Explorer problem? (apart from your computer running slow)

If so, there is still a chance you can fix this problem.

Run Panda active scan. Then run [Windows security Trojan scan.

If that does not help, update Ad-Aware and Spybot search and destroy. Now install CWShredder and update it.

Reboot your computer in to safe mode (repeatedly press f8 while starting your computer) and run all the programs above and have them fix anything they find.

If this does not work, get back to us and we can try something else ;).

Thank you.

I am just doing all the scans now.. I have tried to put windows 98 disc on the computer so i could re install internet explorer and it got so far and twice the screen just went black and the other times it came to the end but said it had failed and did I want to retry.

I haven`t tried to re-boot the computer with the windows 98 disc though so I will try it.

[/A]

Panda active scan. Then run [Windows security Trojan scan.

If that does not help, update Ad-Aware and Spybot search and destroy. Now install CWShredder and update it.

Reboot your computer in to safe mode (repeatedly press f8 while starting your computer) and run all the programs above and have them fix anything they find.

[/b]

Right all the above has been done.

Spybot and trojan scan came back completely clear.

Ad-Aware had 7x I E Cache Data miner cookie on

Panda scan had 3 x adware (funweb, save now, my web search, )

CW Shredder /spy subtract clear.

It still won`t let me go on some internet sites but will allow me on others..

I keep getting the page can`t be displayed sign...It must be something to do with the settings but I can`t get on the microsoft site to download internet explorer again.

Anyway thank you to those of you who have helped and if I ever meet you I owe you a pint.

Then we need to track down what is causing the errors mshappy :). I found This site that helps with the main ones.

Write down the exact error message you get and check it on that site. You can also give us the exact error message and we'll have a look too ;).

Vidster... this is the exact message I`m getting when I try to sign on to some sites.

"The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. ........................

(then right at the very bottom is )

Cannot find server or DNS Error

Internet Explorer

OK mshappy :).

I have been googling around and most people seem to think WinsockFix will cure the problem.

I can not be sure as i don't know that much about DNS errors but it's worth a try :?.

If this does not work you may be better posting a HijackThis log in the CbtTechs forum (see my sig). If you want to try this i'll give you more info :).

Originally posted by vidster

OK mshappy :).

I have been googling around and most people seem to think WinsockFix will cure the problem.

I can not be sure as i don't know that much about DNS errors but it's worth a try :?.

If this does not work you may be better posting a HijackThis log in the CbtTechs forum (see my sig). If you want to try this i'll give you more info :).

Damn damn damn... of course... how the heck could I forget that one...

Win98 does tend to require this after a bit of spyware hassle...

Well remembered vidster...

Originally posted by Martin_s

Damn damn damn... of course... how the heck could I forget that one...

Win98 does tend to require this after a bit of spyware hassle...

Well remembered vidster...

Thanks Martin_s. Means a lot coming from you ;).

Although all i did was spend half an hour googling though :suspect:

Right, I am vaguely sorted.

After puzzling about this settings thing and the message I kept getting when trying to download the Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 being unable to use my proxy settings I decided to ring the technical support for my broadband and just act really thick.... (Not that I had much acting to do.)

The bloke on the other end just said I will re route you through a proxy server then and gave me some LAN settings, an address and port etc to type in and it works now.... But he says it was nothing to do with my computer in the first place.

My computer is still running so slow and is taking ages and ages to load pages up even though I can now view every page, even the ones I previously couldn`t .

There must still be something wrong with I.Explorer.

I tried to load Mozilla Firefox as an alternative browser but it flashed up refused connection.

Shall I still try Winsoc fix even though I can now get on the sites?

Originally posted by mshappy

I tried to load Mozilla Firefox as an alternative browser but it flashed up refused connection.

Shall I still try Winsoc fix even though I can now get on the sites?

I have no idea if it will mess up your settings so i wouldn't risk it unless someone else knows better :?.

You could try downloading Firefox from Here as well.

As for the performance problems. If no one else comes up with a solution, you can register at the CbtTechs forum and post a HijackThis log. We will then give you instructions on what to do next.

NOTE: Please don't do anything with HijackThis unless told to do so :).

Originally posted by vidster

I have no idea if it will mess up your settings so i wouldn't risk it unless someone else knows better :?.

You could try downloading Firefox from Here as well.

As for the performance problems. If no one else comes up with a solution, you can register at the CbtTechs forum and post a HijackThis log. We will then give you instructions on what to do next.

NOTE: Please don't do anything with HijackThis unless told to do so :).

If "Winsockfix" does what i think it does - it may not help. WinSock (short fro Windows Sockets) is they part of your PC that tells the computer HOW to communicate with the internet. It is related to the TCP/IP suite of protocols which ACTUALLY DO the communicating. If you were unable to view ANY sites at all then i would suggest either one of these things, but as you can view some sites it may not be the problem. What i would suggest is to try and access websites that you have NEVER been on before and see if you can access them...and record the results - try and think of two or three. Also try going on websited that you visit regularly and record the results - again two or three.

If you can get on the websites that you have NEVER been on before, then it is unlikey that you have a winsock error, but TCP/IP may be dying slowly. However if you cannot access websites that you never been on before then you may have a winsock problem. If you can get websites you visit regularly but NOT ones that you have NEVER been on then it is most likely that either TCP/IP or Winsock is corrupt and that your computer has stored your regular websites.

Having said all this the fact that everything is working (allbeit slowly) through the proxy server then it could be IE thats fubar.

LEt me know how you get on!