The new Islam megathread

Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?

• Maliki
    • Shafi
    • Hanbali
    • Hanafi
    • I dont follow one
    • Look you tinpot, whats a school of law?

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Story Here!

The article speaks for itself.

What are your views.... does the koran teach this to muslims, or is it a cleric gone mad???

That article speaks for itself. It is true what kilroy said!!!

Besides, I welcome the fact that people have more knowledge on subjects than I, thus helping me gain more knowledge in the process as I go along.

And if I may say so DaB, that is precisely why I have always admired you

.......ducks down low to avoid flak from others, but I DO mean it and he has demonstrated it many times

And if I may further say, now that I am on a roll so to speak, speaking as a Christian (from birth, not born again), people often misquote or misuse the bible for their own ends.

I think it is common for people to use whatever means they can to prove that what they personally believe is in fact the truth.

Surely we all do that

Muslim, Christian, Sheffield Wednesday supporter

Any port in a storm, clutching at straws.....lots of cliches that demonstrate what I mean

Fortunately most people who are Muslim, Christian, Sheffield Wednesday supporters still know when they are being manipulated and dont stand for it

"Cliche Queen" I might start calling myself

What else am I supposed to think. This man was charged with promoting the muslim faith, and as so charged he promoted the violence against women. So I'm naturally going to 'immediately' think that this applies to ALL teachings of the muslim faith.

You've always come across as more intelligent than that to me. Because some priests have been charged with sexually abusing children does that make everyone that is a part of the Christian faith paedophiles, and indicate that the bible teaches that one should have anal sex with children? Of course not.

Fair point chill.... must be having an off day.... upsetting a few peeps on here (including a mod or two).

Oh well... I'll have my happy pills tomorrow and maybe wont see the world in on spectrum of light so to speak. And of course.... you are right in what you say!

I did mention it on an earlier thread and Nick asked about it.

Sadly the thread was closed, but was off topic anyway.

Well here is what I know of it.

At present the usual mortgage is based on fluctuating interest rates (unless you have a fixed rate deal, but that never lasts out the period of your mortgage if 25 yrs).

Basically this muslim mortgage, is based on the principal of not paying interest in the same way. Basically it is not allowed to take money on loan if you cannot foresee the possible changes in repayments.

Now heres a basic example.

Mortgage £100k interest rate 5% (repayment only to make it easier)

Yearly intrest would be £5000 (which is £416.66 / month)

BUT...say in year two the interest rate goes up and is now 5.75%

Your repayment would be £5750 per year or (£479.16 / month)

Thus you have to make up this shortfall.

What the muslim mortgage aims to do is say (for example)

£100k house, and you want the repayment over 25 years.

They will make it a fixed price for the duration of the loan term.

For example say they want a 5% return year on year, they will say your balance due(excl. capital) is £125,000. They will split that over the 25 years which will make a monthly payment of £416.66 except you don't suffer any changes in rates, so you know your commitment from the outset.

Bit like a long-term fixed rate really.

I just wonder how many people would take this up if offered?

Originally posted by 1Man&hisBMW

Bit like a long-term fixed rate really.

What is the difference between what you have just described and a fixed term mortagage, can't see the difference myself.

can you only apply if you are muslim? and if so, how do you proove it?

Originally posted by Skatiechik

What is the difference between what you have just described and a fixed term mortagage, can't see the difference myself.

No bank will do you a fixed rate for 25 years :) Unless you can prove me wrong?

The difference is, with most fixed rate products you have penalties for paying earlier, with this you wouldn't.

Also most fixed rates ask for higher interest payments, but the idea here is not to do that - just have a basic return on investment (little bit like buy to let)

Originally posted by HarrietStar

can you only apply if you are muslim? and if so, how do you proove it?

I have no idea! I know HSBC bank are looking at doing it, and a few others too. Not sure how they could check..! :confused:

can I have a muslim mortgage AND wear a long sleeve top for PE?