The new Islam megathread

Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?

• Maliki
    • Shafi
    • Hanbali
    • Hanafi
    • I dont follow one
    • Look you tinpot, whats a school of law?

Story Here!

MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- A Spanish court has sentenced a Muslim cleric to 15 months in jail for inciting violence through a book he wrote advising men on how to beat women without leaving any marks or evidence, the president of a women's group told CNN.

The article speaks for itself.

What are your views.... does the koran teach this to muslims, or is it a cleric gone mad???

While ever you use the term pimp in your logo I'd be very careful about posting anything relating to violence against women.

Give it a rest max, by having that logo... doesn't mean I am violent towards women. Unless you're too small minded to understand that!

It relates to the song by 50 Cent and Snoop!

If you can't offer a reasonable contribution... dont bother offering one at all!

I see YOU didn't jump to the defence of the Americans in the Kilroy thread. Typical double standards.

I loathe this violence against women stuff but I would be dead against blaming the women for it

If you have no money and no job skills and you live in a country where women are dependent on men for their living, either fathers or husbands, and where divorce is not an option, what are you meant to do?

Oh and I forgot, you are not over six foot tall with broad shoulders and a cheeky smile, you are a little timid thing

Despite all attempts to explain why we shouldn't condemn all members of a race in the RSK thread we now have condemnation of a whole faith.

Before anybody thinks I'm an apologist for this particular cleric, I'm not. I think, based on the evidence reported, that he's been rightly convicted and should serve a prison sentence for inciting violence against women. I also think that clerics who incite violence against America should be brought to book.

However, I do think that there are people of all religions who are poor examples of their faith. We have, for instance, far too many reports of Catholic priests being convicted of child molestation. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the Catholic faith showing its true colours and preaching paedophilia. We also have reports of right wing evangelical Church of England Bishops talking of a causing a schism because they do not approve of women priests and gay bishops. I don't see that as the C of E showing its true colours preaching homophobia and misogyny.

Like all society, religions have their fair share of people who use their faith to justify their bent perceptions.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Story Here!

Nice to see the muslim faith showing it's true colours again and preaching/teaching female oppression and violence.

Nice comment DB. "Muslim faith showing its true colours". You couldn't resist throwing that in, could you?

Just where in the Koran does Islam allow violence and oppression against women?

In a truly Islamic society women have the following rights:

The right and duty to obtain education.

The right to have their own independent property.

The right to work to earn money if they need it or want it.

Equality of reward for equal deeds.

The right to participate fully in public life and have their voices heard by those in power.

The right to provisions from the husband for all her needs and more.

The right to negotiate marriage terms of her choice.

The right to obtain divorce from her husband, even on the grounds that she simply can't stand him.

The right to keep all her own money (she is not responsible to maintain any relations).

The right to get sexual satisfaction from her husband.

and more...

If a cleric claiming to be 'Muslim' advocates violence against women, then he is seriously misguided and deserves the custodial sentence imposed.

(Sorry, did you expect me to campaign for his freedom?)

To be honest Abdul I dont think that the Koran teached this at all.

However I call things as I see them, and I all I ever see (read really) is Muslim extremeists this, muslim oppressing women that, muslim is always in a bad light.

Again this may be th media machine.

I dont wish to condemn the whole faith and to those who have taken it this way feel as such, then I wholeheartedly appologise.

But look from my point of view... this is all I get to see. What else am I supposed to think. This man was charged with promoting the muslim faith, and as so charged he promoted the violence against women. So I'm naturally going to 'immediately' think that this applies to ALL teachings of the muslim faith.

However if you have taken offence please accept my appologies... I'm man enough to admit when I may have made an misjudged what error.

I will remove the offending statement!

Not wishing to jump on you but just some friendly advice... Perhaps it would be better to know what the koran does or doesn't teach and then comment...

I admit I do not know because I've never read it... in much the same way I don't know exactly what the bible teaches..

Certainly I know that my own opinion is sometimes based on knee jerk reactions to a topic thanks to media, ill informed 3rd party opinion, etc... so I'm no saint... but anyway, the more I hear this "anti-muslim" rhetoric from the media, the more I wonder how much of a fool some journalists are prepared to take me for...

Food for thought, certainly...

As for the original topic... good... glad he's in jail... human rights are human rights... that goes for all sexes, persuassions, colours... individuals.

What the Koran says is set in stone! Why don't you try reading it?

Probably so Martin and a fair comment to make.

However we all make opinions on subjects we are not 100% versed in.

We are all guilty of this.

However if we are all to become fully versed in the subjects we base opinions on, then this board would be quite empty.

I call it how I see it. I only ever see the bad side of people using the muslim faith in such a way that it displays it as bad.

However I take on board Abby's comments (i'm sure he's in a better place to educate me on this than I am to anyone else).

Besides, I welcome the fact that people have more knowledge on subjects than I, thus helping me gain more knowledge in the process as I go along.

The fact is that this looks like just another attempt for a sick and twisted individual to take the tennets of a religion and use them to support his own damaged values and world-view.

An individual cannot be held to stand for the character of a religion so large in any eyes but those of the paranoid and the mislead.

If we are to judge every world religion on the most outspoken and violent (and consequently in the eyes of the media, most news-worthy) then we would have to define Christianity in the US as a racist, homophobic and mysogenistic collection of radicals who promoted the bombing of abortion clinics and sent death-threats to prominent public figures who openly supported a woman's right to choose when it came to her own body.

Now we wouldn't want to do that...would we?

I'd like to strangle him, and leave no marks or evidence, what an idiot he should be locked up for life :mad: