The new Islam megathread

Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which School of Law do you follow in Islam?

• Maliki
    • Shafi
    • Hanbali
    • Hanafi
    • I dont follow one
    • Look you tinpot, whats a school of law?

Oh yes perhaps I am an extremist because I didn't use every word to your satisfaction. I raely care little of how you view me, but simply pointed out that if the law has been broken then there is the Police to uphold the law of the land. I as a muslim along with majority of Muslims find the comments wrong and do not suscribe to such teachings but don't let that get in the way of creating an Image of Islam that your biased mind desires.

And I suggested you were an extremist where exactly?

I simply pointed out that your claim that "There is no room for such extremism from such preachers" was sadly not true as there is a great deal of room for them in significant portions of the 'Islamic World' and the evidence would suggest that until it becomes an public relations embarrassment there's room for them in 'moderate' mosques as well.

I think maybe time to take a whiff at the fish n chips too with an acknowledgment that Palistinian issue and the American bases in Saudi Arabia lead to the 9/11 and the Iraq invasion justified on a pack of lies costing the local population almost a million lives lead to 7/7. The extremism of the two attacks is no match of the attrocities committed in name of freeing Iraq. Lets keep things in perspective and not blame the world Muslims for things that may have roots in our own actions against a particular part of the Muslim world.

The only actions we are guilty of is standing up for ourselves and not allowing 9/11 to allow the muslims to have the world domination they crave. Maybe 7/7 is a consequence of that but sometimes we have to stand our ground and take whatevers thrown at us in return. I am a person who believes its right to speak out and/or act for what is right and after 9/11 the western world was in its rights to fight back. If we hadn't then I believe 7/7 would have been on a much larger scale.

As for the Iraq war it is something I personally disagreed with. As far as I am concerned it was a war that was not necessary for the british to get involved in as it was all about george bush getting his hands on the oil and unfortunatley we had a weak leader who felt it necesary to kiss GB's arse.

If its DOYC why did you as a Muslim use the word God and not Allah?

I am also an Englishwoman and I speak English.... I explained about the words Allah/ God over in another thread.

The word Allah is Arabic for God

Says who? If as a woman Plain Talker treats herself as a 2nd class citizen, wears a veil, prays 5 times a day in the direction and Mecca and all the rest what difference does the language used to refer to her imaginary friend make to anything?

You make agood point there, as a woman I have always thought that women would want to convert from Islam rather than to it.:loopy:

But as a muslim you ould automatically use the word Allah - I would not say Oh my Allah would I?

That's a bit absurd.

No, as a native-born, English-as-my-first-language, Englishwoman of English parents, I would automatically use English words, in general speech/ letter/email writing. Including the word for God, which oddly enough, in English, Is.. erm... "God".

When I recite my prayers, I use the Arabic words, just like an older Roman Catholic Christian (from before Vatican II in 1962) would have prayed "The Lords Prayer" in Latin as the Pater Noster (As they would pray the rest of the mass in Latin)

I would not suddenly start using Arabic to speak with my (English) work colleagues. I would not walk into Marks and Spencers or Sainsburys and ask for "A kilo of apples, and a large cut loaf, please." in Arabic. Nor would I say my "thank yous" in Arabic when the assistant hands me my change.

Two of the newspaper shops that I buy my Sheffield Star from, in the city centre, are run/ owned by Pakistani chaps. however, I will say to them, in English "May I have a Sheffield Star, please?" I don't ask them, either in Urdu or Arabic for my newspaper. And again, when I am handed my paper, and my change, I say "thank you". In English.

That's a bit absurd.

No, as a native-born, English-as-my-first-language, Englishwoman of English parents, I would automatically use English words, in general speech/ letter/email writing. Including the word for God, which oddly enough, in English, Is.. erm... "God".

When I recite my prayers, I use the Arabic words, just like an older Roman Catholic Christian (from before Vatican II in 1962) would have prayed "The Lords Prayer" in Latin as the Pater Noster (As they would pray the rest of the mass in Latin)

I would not suddenly start using Arabic to speak with my (English) work colleagues. I would not walk into Marks and Spencers or Sainsburys and ask for "A kilo of apples, and a large cut loaf, please." in Arabic. Nor would I say my "thank yous" in Arabic when the assistant hands me my change.

Two of the newspaper shops that I buy my Sheffield Star from, in the city centre, are run/ owned by Pakistani chaps. however, I will say to them, in English "May I have a Sheffield Star, please?" I don't ask them, either in Urdu or Arabic for my newspaper. And again, when I am handed my paper, and my change, I say "thank you". In English.

And yet in other posts you have used the word god with ,what I consider a derogatory tm sign after it

You make agood point there, as a woman I have always thought that women would want to convert from Islam rather than to it.:loopy:

Actually, no. Many western women embrace Islam. (And from other nations)

Only this weekend, at the Mosque, we had a "Shahadah Ceremony" for a lovely sister from Vietnam, who has recently embraced Islam.

"Shahadah" refers to the statement of faith, that a convert to Islam makes, on becoming a Muslim.

They declare, in front of witnesses, "Ashshahdu, lah illah illa allah, wa ashadu Muhammedur rasool-ullah" which translates as "I declare there is no God but God, and Muhammed is His Prophet."

At our mosque, in the study group I attend, there's a vast variety of nationalities, there are a number of Englishwomen who have become Muslim, We have a Malaysian lady who has converted, some Malaysian ladies who were born into Islam, A Botswanan lady convert, a Croatian lady who was born into Islam, a Polish lady who was born into Islam, some Somalian ladies, some Yemeni ladies, A Syrian lady, a Libyan, and a Moroccan.

At our mosque, in the study group I attend, there's a vast variety of nationalities, there are a number of Englishwomen who have become Muslim, We have a Malaysian lady who has converted, some Malaysian ladies who were born into Islam, A Botswanan lady convert, a Croatian lady who was born into Islam, a Polish lady who was born into Islam, some Somalian ladies, some Yemeni ladies, A Syrian lady, a Libyan, and a Moroccan.

And at study group of yours no doubt they teach that there's nothing whatsoever wrong with homosexuality and homosexual acts and that apostates should be allowed to leave the Islam with absolutely no negative consequences do they?

Salam ali cum! I have been known to greet the pakistani shop keepers in their tongue and I am not a muslim, but you as a muslim do not?

I am genuinely interested in why as a woman you decided to convert to a faith that regards you a inferior and practices the absolutely inhumane form of abuse that prevents women from ever enjoying the act of lovemaking.

Walaikum as-salaam.

firstly, yes I do say Salaam Aleikum, and greet muslim sisters (And brothers) I may come into contact with with S_A.

secondly, I studied Islam and was attracted to it, and made a conscious decision to follow it.

thirdly, a 2-part answer to you:-

a) if you are referring to the utterly abhorrent practice of FGM, it's not only practised in Islam, but other faiths too, and it is not widespread, it's mainly a cultural practice in certain regions of sub-Saharan Africa.

and b) as was pointed out in other posts, by myself and another forummer, the scriptures state that the the husband should ensure his wife recieves pleasure from him, in the act of lovemaking. He can't do that if she has been forced to undergo FGM.

And at study group of yours no doubt they teach that there's nothing whatsoever wrong with homosexuality and homosexual acts and that apostates should be allowed to leave the Islam with absolutely no negative consequences do they?

We haven't "studied" homosexuality plek. and I know what I believe on that score.

We haven't "studied" homosexuality plek. and I know what I believe on that score.

Are you honestly claiming ignorance of what your religion says on 'that score'?

How about apostasy? Have you conveniently failed to study that as well?

So what about reality?

There are several homosexuals here living openly as such.

No one bothers them and no one tries to shoot them.

It is true that gay sex is illegal here but as long as they stick to their own group that's fine by everyone.

Just as a note the barber that I use here is as gay as a maypole and I happen to know that all the local coppers use the same place.

We all agree that he's the best barber in the area and no one cares what he does in bed as long as he doesn't want us to join in.

Women are considered equal here when it comes to the law.

After death the money is shred out pretty much as it would be in the UK but without the government grabbing fat piles of the cash.

Women have equal rights in law.

FGM is illegal here.

Sorry to the Muslim bashers but you lot are taking the words of a few to argue the thoughts of all (as usual).

The other usual thing is that you are wrong again.