Going on the No 2 and No 3 Circular Bus Route

Thanks for the information. I'll be adding the journey length with a few photos at the first opportunity.

I spent many a couple of hours going round the city on that service.

Sat upstairs usually on the front seats, safe in the hands of the bus driver and conductor who would sort out any problems that we may have thought we had, if we argued.

Albert, have you managed to do your trip round the route yet. It will be interesting to see if it is 25 miles. There are seveal sources of reference to what was the old Sheffield Transport Department and the Sheffield Joint Omnibus Committee the best of which I have found to be called "Sheffield Transport" by Chas Hall published in 1977 but I suspect it is out of print now. This was followed by "South Yorkshire's Transport 1974-1995" by D.S Helliwell published in 1996. If you can't get access to either of these and there is something in particular you want to know just ask and I will see if I can scan it in at work

I had a son who was a member of the Sheffield Bus Enthusiast Society.

I can remember him sat in his wheel chair reading the Chas Hall book.

I'm sure that the wife will have it in the loft with some other books. When the first Atlantean Bus came to Sheffield, He was on a picture in te local Star newspaper.

When I measure the route, I'd prefer a fine day because I'm intending taking a few photos also.

AlbertT and Hillsbro for your information I believe that it is this Sunday (14th September) when the Meadowhall Bus rally is on, where hopefully there will be several old buses from Sheffield on display as well as those from the surrounding area.

Can I suggest people on this thread might like to visit the rally as the support the owners get from visitors just admiring their buses helps to justify the effort that they put in keeping them on the road.

Last time I went it was in the coach park at the far end of Meadowhall and was on all day. Hopefully I will get chance to pop down at sometime just to show support.

That brings back memories of my nannan who used to catch this from the top of Ashbury Lane in Norton and be gone for some time before returning on the same bus. She must have been about 75 - 80 and often went with her friend Daisy Powell. It was like a day out for them both

Gordonb - thanks for letting us know; I'll try to be there!

AlbertT and Hillsbro for your information I believe that it is this Sunday (14th September) when the Meadowhall Bus rally is on, where hopefully there will be several old buses from Sheffield on display as well as those from the surrounding area.

Can I suggest people on this thread might like to visit the rally as the support the owners get from visitors just admiring their buses helps to justify the effort that they put in keeping them on the road.

Last time I went it was in the coach park at the far end of Meadowhall and was on all day. Hopefully I will get chance to pop down at sometime just to show support.

....Yes ! this Sunday at the Meadowhall Coach Park . Dont worry about rain-it is all on hardstanding with a free shuttle bus to and from the South Yorkshire Transport Museum at Aldwarke. For more info check--- http://www.sytm.co.uk , ENJOY!!!! :thumbsup:

....Yes ! this Sunday at the Meadowhall Coach Park . Dont worry about rain-it is all on hardstanding with a free shuttle bus to and from the South Yorkshire Transport Museum at Aldwarke from around 11.30am. For more info check--- http://www.sytm.co.uk , ENJOY!!!! :thumbsup:

The road route of the no 2 / 3 Outer Circular Bus. 1944 – 46.

( From a distant memory).

No 2 started up Rivelin Valley Road No 3 going the other way.

I think that they past each other at Weedon Street.

Malin Bridge – Rivelin Valley Road – Rivelin Post Office – Manchester Road – Colwell Lane – Carsick Hill Road – ( Ivy Park Road or Snaithing Lane ) – Gladstone Road – Hanging water Road – Oakbrook Road – Rustlings Road – Ecclesall Road – Ecclesall Road South – Carterknowle Road – AbbeyDale Road – Woodseat Road – Scarsdale Road – Derbyshire Lane – Hemsworth Road – Norton Avenue – Ridgeway Road – Prince of Wales Road – Greenland Road – Broughton Lane – Attercliffe Common – Weedon Street – Brightside Lane – Meadow Hall Road – Jenkin Road – Tyler Street – Barrow Road – Fife Street ( –? - Newman Road - ? - ) – Shiregreen Lane – Hatfield House Lane – Barnsley Road – Longley Lane – Herries Drive – Herries Road – Leppings Lane – Middlewood Road – Holme Lane – Malin Bridge.

( I’ll put the distance on shortly )

The bit between Fife St and Newman Road was pretty straighforward. At bottom of Barrow Road turn left and after 50m or so take your first left. At the top turn right up Merton Lane - don't try it in the snow! - Up to the junction with Newman Road and turn right to the top where Jenkin Road, the old Hyacinth Road and Wincobank Avenue meet each other. Turn right on Wincobank Avenue and right again up Shiregreen Lane past the cemetary and park. Straight over the junction and along Hatfield House Lane. Hope this helps - good luck:thumbsup:

The bit between Fife St and Newman Road was pretty straighforward. At bottom of Barrow Road turn left and after 50m or so take your first left. At the top turn right up Merton Lane - don't try it in the snow! - Up to the junction with Newman Road and turn right to the top where Jenkin Road, the old Hyacinth Road and Wincobank Avenue meet each other. Turn right on Wincobank Avenue and right again up Shiregreen Lane past the cemetary and park. Straight over the junction and along Hatfield House Lane. Hope this helps - good luck:thumbsup:

Thank you for the above information.

Hopefully the next fine morning if we are free, We'll be on the route.

I'll post a link for the photographs but I'm not,'Photographer of the Year! ' ( As you'll note soon!!)

Do not enter these directions onto a Sat Nav, as somewhere along the road it will take the shortest route.

I entered the 'start' in AutoRoute and then put in 49 'stops' and then the 'end' of route so that it would not deviate, but it did and took a figure of eight, totalling 45 miles. So that was useless. I plotted the following on a large scale map using my knowledge of the route from my days as a bus driver.

NOTE – THIS FOLLOWS THE OUTER CIRCLE BUS ROUTE AS OF THE 60s. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THIS ROUTE IN ITS ENTIRETY, AS SOME OF IT IS NOW ONE–WAY.

Also of NOTE – Left and right turns may not be immediate and some distance may be involved. Check the route out with an up–to–date map.

Travelling anti–clockwise

Leave Malin Bridge via Rivelin Valley Rd (A6101)

Turn left at Manchester Rd (A57)

Turn right at Coldwell Lane

Turn right at Sandygate Rd

Turn next left into Carsick Hill Rd

Turn first left into Ivy Park Road

Follow the main road through and it becomes Snaithing Lane and then Gladstone Rd

Follow Gladstone Rd

At the junction, cross Fulwood Rd into Hangingwater Rd

Take the second left into Oakbrook Rd

Follow the main road and it bears right into Rustlings Rd

There is a left and right turn at the junction with Ecclesall Rd, take the right into Ecclesall Rd (A625)

Turn left into Carter Knowle Rd

Turn right into Abbeydale Rd (A621)

Turn left up Woodseats Rd

Turn left into Scarsdale Rd and cross over Chesterfield Rd (A61), still in Scarsdale Rd

Turn right into Derbyshire Lane

Follow the main road left and it becomes Hemsworth Rd

Continue along Hemsworth Rd, through the roundabout in Hemsworth Rd, which later becomes Norton Avenue

Follow Norton Avenue to the roundabout

Bear left at the roundabout, still in Norton Avenue, which is now the (A6102)

Follow the main road (A6102) as it becomes Ridgeway Rd (A6102)

At the junction of City Rd and Mansfield Rd (A6135), carry straight on and down Prince of Wales Rd (A6102)

Go straight on through the roundabout at Sheffield Parkway (A57) still following the (A6102)

At the junction with Main Rd (B6200), carry straight on along Prince of Wales Rd (A6102), as it becomes Greenland Road

Follow the main road through and it becomes Broughton Lane (A6102)

Turn right into Attercliffe Common A6178

Turn left into Weedon St

Turn right into Meadowhall Rd (A6109)

Turn left into Jenkin Rd

Turn right into Tyler St (B6082)

Follow the main road, as it becomes Barrow Rd (B6082)

Turn left into Fife St

Turn left into Merton Lane

Turn right into Newman Rd

Turn right into Wincobank Ave

Follow the main road through into Shiregreen Lane

At the (B6086) Bellhouse Rd go straight ahead into Hatfield House Lane

Follow the road around to Barnsley Rd (A6135)

Turn left into Barnsley Rd (A6135)

Turn right into Longley Lane

Follow the main road, as it becomes Herries Drive

Turn right into Herries Rd (A6102)

Go straight on through the roundabout, following the (A6102)

At Herries Rd/Herries Rd Sth, turn right into Herries Rd (B6079)

At the roundabout, ON FOOT – take the second exit into Leppings Lane (B6079) (NOTE – YOU CANNOT DRIVE IN THIS DIRECTION, AS IT IS A NO ENTRY)

ON FOOT – follow Leppings Lane (B6079)

Turn left at the end of Leppings Lane, into Middlewood Rd (B6079)

DRIVE – following Middlewood Rd (B6079) to Holme Lane Corner

Turn right into Holme Lane (A6101)

Follow Holme Lane (A6101) to Malin Bridge

Can't put brackets around the A1678 because it enters a smiley

after reading about the OP I had to add, me and my friends used to get on the No2 in the late 70's/early 80's for a 2p day trip for ages on the back of the bus, keeping warm and chatting.

Those were the days :D

I used it 7 year since to get to meadowhall at 6am - no.2