Just moved to Sheffield from Birmingham

Yes. I specifically wanted to be away from the main student areas but still within easy reach of the uni. I think if you're in a student area your whole life becomes dominated by that culture. I wanted to make sure I could dip in and out as I see fit.

I was originally meaning that the city centre nightlife seems to be quite a lot quieter than Brum's but as you're a smaller city that's only to be expected I suppose.

Brum was quiet out of term as well. We don't have the equivalent of broad street, or maybe west street is it. But once the students are back everywhere will be packed again. Probably are a few less clubs and late bars, but there's enough.

Hi. Welcome to Sheffield.

Sheffield really is the greenest city in Europe so the wonderful views aren't an illusion.

Here's a link that may help you understand why.

http://www.map21ltd.com/COSTC11/arb-sheff.htm

Thanks for that link.

It looks like I'll be doing a lot of walking over the coming months and years. The Loxley valley is close to where I'm living so I think I'll explore that next.

hi essential and welcome to Sheffield! I came here to study too and ended up staying. I was also surprised to find its the greenest city- I think my preconceptions were mostly from The Full Monty (!) sooo wrong. I just love looking out of my window at the green hills and only being a short drive from the Peaks. And Rivelin is cool- I saw a heron there the other day.

The students mostly hang around Broomhill/Crookes/Ecclesall Road area, as I'm sure you'll find out! The pubs on West Street/Division street also get really busy once the students are back. If you like 'proper ale' try Kelham Island, its a bit rough around the edges there but good pubs. The Botanical Gardens are worth a look around. I don't know if you like Museums, but Weston Park museum, and Millenium/Graves in the centre are all free. There are lots of places for music- the student union, the leadmill, plug...depends on what you like though.

congratulations on escaping Birmingham, no doubt you will continue to enjoy Sheffield ;) FOREVER, there is no escaping our city I'm afraid.

Welcome to Sheffield. . Enjoy your stay although most uni students end up living here for good! Head for centretainment. . Its on meadowhall tram route .. You will find cinema, bowling and various eating places. Also rother valley country park. Tram to crystal peaks then a mile and half walk. . Just a couple of other ideas for you:)

Cheers.

I'm looking for some of these places on Google Earth. I've already been to Meadowhall. Think I recall going past centretainment on my way there.

Rother valley park looks to be some distance away but as I assume you live in Beighton this looks like a good facility for you. I'm at the other end of town at Malin Bridge.

You can probably get to Rother Valley on the Dinnington bus that goes through Wales Bar. But it's a hell of a treck to see lake. Much closer would be redmires reservoirs, not sure about public transport to them though.

Make sure you look up the university clubs and societies. I teach the jitsu club (shameless plug), we're training once a week over the summer, but training proper starts back during freshers week.

hi essential and welcome to Sheffield! I came here to study too and ended up staying. I was also surprised to find its the greenest city- I think my preconceptions were mostly from The Full Monty (!) sooo wrong. I just love looking out of my window at the green hills and only being a short drive from the Peaks. And Rivelin is cool- I saw a heron there the other day.

The students mostly hang around Broomhill/Crookes/Ecclesall Road area, as I'm sure you'll find out! The pubs on West Street/Division street also get really busy once the students are back. If you like 'proper ale' try Kelham Island, its a bit rough around the edges there but good pubs. The Botanical Gardens are worth a look around. I don't know if you like Museums, but Weston Park museum, and Millenium/Graves in the centre are all free. There are lots of places for music- the student union, the leadmill, plug...depends on what you like though.

Thanks for the welcome.

Where do you come from?

Been to Weston park museum which is excellent although there was a lot of work going on in the park itself refurbishment wise.

Had a good look around the uni and areas close by so I think i've already got my favourite watering holes sorted. The Forum next to Devonshire Green looks very continental.

It looks very busy in an evening, and very loud. I'd rather be in the dev cat or above the forum myself.

Hallo, Essential and well done in choosing Sheffield. If you want some drop dead gorgeous scenery a half an hour from where you are, catch the no. 11 bus from Malin Bridge to Stannington. 10 minutes bus ride. Get off at the terminus and walk up Riggs High Road, past the Crown and Glove (call in for one or two, the beer's lovely). The countryside here is beautiful, with great views. 30 minutes will bring you to the tiny village of Dungworth. Stop here at the Royal Hotel for home made pies and local beer. Walk down the long hill and round the dam to the village of Bradfield. Stop here at the Plough for home-made food, if you couldn't manage a pie at the Royal. The Royal and the Plough serve Bradfield bitter, brewed in Bradfield village. Then catch the little 262 bus outside the plough all the way back to Malin Bridge.

Hallo, Essential and well done in choosing Sheffield. If you want some drop dead gorgeous scenery a half an hour from where you are, catch the no. 11 bus from Malin Bridge to Stannington. 10 minutes bus ride. Get off at the terminus and walk up Riggs High Road, past the Crown and Glove (call in for one or two, the beer's lovely). The countryside here is beautiful, with great views. 30 minutes will bring you to the tiny village of Dungworth. Stop here at the Royal Hotel for home made pies and local beer. Walk down the long hill and round the dam to the village of Bradfield. Stop here at the Plough for home-made food, if you couldn't manage a pie at the Royal. The Royal and the Plough serve Bradfield bitter, brewed in Bradfield village. Then catch the little 262 bus outside the plough all the way back to Malin Bridge.

Thanks.

I've found Riggs High road on Google Earth but it doesn't seem to lead to Dungworth unless you walk across farmer's fields. Do you know if there are marked footpaths? There seems to be a road parallel to High Riggs going past a brick works which takes you to Dungworth. Would I be better taking that road as I don't want to get lost?

Bradfield looks very picturesque on the photos in Google Earth so I might catch the bus you suggest from Malin Bridge direct.

Hi fellow Brummie.

Born and bred in Moseley. Where are you from and why do you think it is so much better up here?

My Cousins live in Hall Green Just up the road and Kings Norton half my family are brummys:thumbsup:

Thanks.

I've found Riggs High road on Google Earth but it doesn't seem to lead to Dungworth unless you walk across farmer's fields. Do you know if there are marked footpaths? There seems to be a road parallel to High Riggs going past a brick works which takes you to Dungworth. Would I be better taking that road as I don't want to get lost?

Bradfield looks very picturesque on the photos in Google Earth so I might catch the bus you suggest from Malin Bridge direct.

We usually walk along the lanes, which go past fields & farms, with very little traffic. There are footpaths off here & there which you might want to wander down, but along the lanes this is the best way :

Up Riggs High Road past the garden centre. Past Flash Lane on your left. Look out for the Quaker cemetery on your left - you can only get through the gap if you are thin. The road narrows & does a dog leg to become Long Lane. It then turns sharp right to become Beeton Green and then Game Lane. Up the hill to Hill Top. Glorious, glorious view. At the crossroads with Cliffe Hill, look out for Hector Andrews' farm, the home of Our Cow Molly, the best ice cream in Sheffield. Stop for a cornet. Turn left onto Cliffe Hill and follow the lane to Dungworth.

The road past Dyson's brickworks will also take you to Dungworth - it's called Stopes Road, but is not as picturesque as the Riggs High Road route. This is the route the return bus takes.