Sheffield General Cemetery MEGATHREAD (excl. tours)

I think that they sould leave the old place as it, and has been for such a long time. I'd rather have a beautiful old cemetery than some concrete soaked, steel and glass ****hole.

Lots more discussion of this here...http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32358&page=3 Which is now THIS thread as they have been merged :D (comments on these particular applications begin at the bottom of that page).

A message on that thread says the deadline for comments to the Council is July 14th.

Hugh

Please come to the SAVE SHARROW CEMETERY event this Sunday 9 July from 12 noon till 9pm to get more info about what is happening and how you can help to stop it (if you want to help stop it) ...

... and bring your friends and family, some deckchairs and hats, beer and wine, games and toys, etc etc ...

... and enjoy this beautiful green space while you still can!

Please come to the SAVE SHARROW CEMETERY event this Sunday 9 July from 12 noon till 9pm to get more info about what is happening and how you can help to stop it (if you want to help stop it) ...

... and bring your friends and family, some deckchairs and hats, beer and wine, games and toys, etc etc ...

... and enjoy this beautiful green space while you still can!

ok, we'd come.. if we knew where...?

can we assume it's actually at the cem'?

PT

ok, we'd come.. if we knew where...?

can we assume it's actually at the cem'?

PT

Yes you can! :thumbsup:

i think this thread should be bumped up a bit. i think it's a beautiful space and would hate to see the wrong changes made to it.

Definitely - if you've ever played in the cemetery - as I have, if you've got a relative in there - several, as I have, if you appreciate the solitude on quiet days, the excitement on community days, if you walk your dog there, if you don't want another piece of Sheffield social history made private and inaccessible, then please write in.

The word on the graves is "relicT"

A relict is just an old fashioned word for "widow"

PT

Yes it refers to the remaining cast off - that which is left - the dross I think ...

How typical, I can't get onto the planning site (its often down for some reason).

There was a suggestion several years ago (I'm talking about 10 years) that the church would be converted into apartments but it came to nothing thankfully. I would have no objection to the church being used and renovated for housing if full public access was still allowed all around it. The cemetary is absolutely full of history and it is simply wrong that people be denied access to it just so some developer can make a barbecue feature or somesuch out of old gravestones.

The cemetery is immensely popular as a place to walk, relax and have fun (see the kids sledging in the winter snow!). I remember it as a druggies' haven but for several years now it's been a great place to go. I've taken many people round there myself, after going on the 'Friends' tours, and they're always amazed its not respected like Highgate or Pere Lachaise Cemeteries.

Shame on the council if they allow this through.

Like Mathom says, the website for registering comments on this proposal has gone down.What's more, the error page tells you that (for security reasons) you are not allowed to know why!! Really. Look here.

You could still post a letter, though: Margaret Smith, Planning Officer, Sheffield City Council, Planning Department, Howden House, Sheffield S1 2HH.

Or you can email: Paula Johnson (an admin officer in the planning office): <Paula.Johnson@sheffield.gov.uk>

Say you are objecting to application ref: 06/01866/FUL. Anglican Chapel, Cemetery Road, Sheffield.

Need some idea about exactly what to write? Click here. And have a look around at other people's petition comments.

It's back up! Tell them what you think of the plans here.

This Sunday afternoon (9 July) if the weather is good enough, come down to the cemetery to find out more about the plans and (if you like) join in the big protest party ... more info on this thread in the events section.