Sheffield General Cemetery MEGATHREAD (excl. tours)

Originally posted by redrobbo

Liked the weblink to the General Cemetery. Thanks for that.

Deaths a funny old thing. I used to take my children (from age 8 onwards) to look around graveyards. They are fascinating places. Why do the really ancient ones refer to widows as 'relics'? Ever noticed the euphemisms for 'died' on old headstones, such as 'taken by Jesus', 'fell asleep', etc.?

The word on the graves is "relicT"

A relict is just an old fashioned word for "widow"

PT

Originally posted by nick2

That whole area is notorious for having no parking, perhaps you should have checked that out before you moved there ?

Sure but I don't fancy it being made worse by a load of people coming around the graveyard. It should be residents only parking, it annoys me so much. We have had 3 parking tickets, but we have no choice than to park on the double yellows. I think everybody that lives around the uni should have parking permits, I'm a student but I know it drives the non-students around here absolutely barmy.

Anyway, sorry for going a bit off topic guys it just drives me bonkers

Originally posted by Lucy_Smith

It should be residents only parking, it annoys me so much. We have had 3 parking tickets, but we have no choice than to park on the double yellows. I think everybody that lives around the uni should have parking permits, I'm a student but I know it drives the non-students around here absolutely barmy.

If you made the area residents only parking most of the shops would have to close, 90% of the customers (I bet) on Ecclessal Road don't live there. And even if it was made residents only, there are so many residents (some with two or more cars) in the area that you still wouldn't be able to find a space.

I don't think the parking problems are because of the shops, more where I live because of the uni. I don't think there is a simple answer at all but I know the locals around here get SO annoyed with the students, they've spoken to us a number of times, until we have explained we actually live here.

But I do see your point, many of the houses contain four or so students, some of whom all have cars. And I do understand the uni students need somewhere to park. It's just so annoying! My parents used to live directly behind Bristol City FC at home and they never had half the problems we have here.

But like I said, I agree there is one simple answer. I was just having a rant ;)

Parking in the area can be problematical and a lot of people who use the shops if they can't park right outside there shop of choice do use the side roads. I can't understand why more of the Collegiate site can't be opened up for car parking as there are an awful lot of lawned area's that look nice but could witth a bit of imagination be turned into parking area's.

About twenty years ago the cemetery had a problem with some 'naughty' children actually breaking into the bigger graves looking for bones, yukky!!!! Up till about two years ago the restoration of the old graves was rather hit and miss, they'd come along one year and clear back all the brambles and a year later have to do it all over again as it wasn't on-going. The idea of a warden in the gate-house is a good idea if that means it can stop some of the mindless vandalism and if the church was restored with possibly another warden up there it would be an improvement. I often wander round the place with my dog and find it a quiet little oasis in the bustling city and the guy speaking 'latin' I suspect that may be a guy with a weird sense of humour who can speak fluent russian, dark clothing, dark hair and long scraggly beard.

Does anyone know anything about the church inside the general cemetary? ive tried looking on numerous websites, but none of the have been helpful. im wondering when it was bricked up, and when it got into such a state? it looks like theres been a fire in there, ive seen in it when a hole was made in the bricks on the door. im really really curious about this place, and would really appreciate it if someone could tell me about it.

Try http://www.gencem.org

...Hmm just tried it but it seems out of date - it's talking about redeveloping the Gatehouse in the 'plans for the future' section.

A local businessman took out a lease on the Anglican Chapel. He was awarded planning permission to convert it to offices and use the cemetery for car parking. The development didn't take place and the planning permission lapsed but he still owns the lease. I'd heard this from a few sources previously but also found info on the net here: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200001/cmselect/cmenvtra/91/91m50.htm

EDIT: There was also a recent application to turn it into apartments which was rejected: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=24919

Last summer friend of mine did some painting work on the building (?)off psalter lane which he referred to as the Mausoleum, which belonged to the cemetary. He said it was used as offices, but one or two strange happenings went on there when workmen were on their own, power going off, banging noises when no one was there etc. But you know tradesmen ... always trying to wind up their mates, take it with a pinch of salt!

Just to clear up a few of the issues raised on this thread...

The graves stones, in what is now the grassy area, were removed by the council way back in the late 70s when most of them were ground up for path resurfacing. However, this certainly did not happen recently and would never be allowed these days. In fact, the council no longer run the site - it's looked after by the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust now who are doing loads of great restoration and community work to improve the area. I think the reason it might look different to some people in recent months is because the grassy area has been tidied and landscaped to create a larger green space. This included the reconstruction of some of the original paths to improve access for all. I believe they will also be installing CCTV and new lighting at the site which means that more people can enjoy using the space for longer. Although a number of important historical figures are buried there, its also home to some wonderful architecture and includes listed buildings and monuments.

The cemetery is one of only a few woodland and green spaces in the heart of the city and really should be celebrated.

The headstones are being used as a footpath, so instead of council flagstones, you have victorian headstones......

But is the cemetary haunted????? I have a fair idea, but has anyone else seen anything before I get labeled as a fruit cake!!!!!!

:confused: