Sheffield General Cemetery MEGATHREAD (excl. tours)

General Cemetery

Grave: RR 79

Thomas SANDS-Serjeant in W.Y.Y.Cavalry

Ebenezer Square

Very good, the battle if you please. ;)

Very good, the battle if you please. ;)

Thomas Sands fought at Waterloo, I should think that his stories were worth drinks for life. His memorial stone has been relocated and is to the left of the Montague Street entrance (off Cemetery Rd). Check out the cemetery's website for a map http://www.gencem.org/

Thomas Sands fought at Waterloo, I should think that his stories were worth drinks for life. His memorial stone has been relocated and is to the left of the Montague Street entrance (off Cemetery Rd). Check out the cemetery's website for a map http://www.gencem.org/

Correct, there is another stone in the wall of Hillsborough Barracks, more or identical other than for the name of the deceased.

Just a pity that our idiot council couldn't keep Thomas's body a little closer to his head stone. :loopy:

I love the cemetry , I walk there daily with various dogs I have in my care. This year I have seen lots of life in there , the blackberries have been fab this year .

Was walking round General Cemetery other day with my other half, and we came across the chapel (never been up there before) it's in a really sorry state, bordering on a fetid pit of despair!! I decided I would really love to take photographs of the interior as it looks as if it'd be amazing inside.

Also, not sure what that large sealed up building is in the middle of the cemetery, whether it's a tomb/ mausoleum, a chapel.. but it's very curious!

Anyone know anything?

Was walking round General Cemetery other day with my other half, and we came across the chapel (never been up there before) it's in a really sorry state, bordering on a fetid pit of despair!! I decided I would really love to take photographs of the interior as it looks as if it'd be amazing inside.

Also, not sure what that large sealed up building is in the middle of the cemetery, whether it's a tomb/ mausoleum, a chapel.. but it's very curious!

Anyone know anything?

Take a look at the website or call in at the office and I am sure the volunteers would be only too happy to give you any information.

http://www.gencem.org/

Would anybody know when the chapel was last in use, say, for a church service, before it was finally boarded up?

A friend of mine says 1970, but I cannot find anything to confirm that date.

Thanks. :)

Would anybody know when the chapel was last in use, say, for a church service, before it was finally boarded up?

A friend of mine says 1970, but I cannot find anything to confirm that date.

Thanks. :)

Neither the Church nor the chapel were ever used as a place of "Worship". they were solely used for Funerals.

Neither the Church nor the chapel were ever used as a place of "Worship". they were solely used for Funerals.

So, when was it last used for a funeral then?

When i say chapel, I mean the church with the spire.